Goodbye to 11-second pit stops???

As long as 40 bad ass hotrods show up and compete each week, I do not care how many are over the wall, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 second pit stops do not matter if, all teams, have same number of guys over wall.
that's not the point, taking away one crew member is not going to reduce the cost of racing to even notice. trying to find new ways to cheat and not get caught is what's driving up the cost of racing.

that's not the point, taking away one crew member is not going to reduce the cost of racing to even notice. trying to find new ways to cheat and not get caught is what's driving up the cost of racing.
sdj nailed it and you are correct, it will have zero effect on the high cost of racing.

That's fine with me because I don't care how much it costs. The adults writing the checks are perfectly capable of supervising themselves.

sdj nailed it and you are correct, it will have zero effect on the high cost of racing.

That's fine with me because I don't care how much it costs. The adults writing the checks are perfectly capable of supervising themselves.
I'm with you, they know how much money the want to spend to win. money always is the winner in the end.

I don't think this would equate to much slower stops... Sure, a changer will have to hang his own wheel, but I bet that costs maybe around 2-3 seconds after the first few races.

In ten years they've gone from 16 second pit stops to 11 second pit stops. That evolution will continue, I'm sure.
Back then the gas tanks were almost twice as big.

Notice how I’m avoiding this trap.

If I spoke, the Texas person’d go up side my head quicker than the kickin’ net smacked Beckham, Junior ‘side his this past Sunday.

So why make such a fundamental change if it won't do a damn thing?

Good question.

They'll probably all hire an engineer, another coach and an administrative assistant to sort the problem and find a way to do it with 1 less guy in 12 seconds. As with so many things, it doesn't matter because it's the same for everybody.

Stupid. This won't cut costs nearly enough and it lessens the spectacle. It's not the over-the-wall crew that are bankrupting teams its the behind-the-computer departments.

It's also the cost of materials to actually build the cars and tying in with that are the year to year rulebook changes.

If only that were true for the sanctioning body.

I would like to see pit stops become as automated as possible and the safetyniks better not give me an ounce of grief over it. Also I would like to fire all the engineers, blow up all the wind tunnels and outlaw headlamp and exhaust and exhaust port decals

Because NASCAR

english-idioms-hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

NASCAR is considering smaller pit crews for 2017

The current proposal to limit crew personnel over the wall is twofold: As a cost-cutting measure for mid-level operations. Second, as a safety initiative to eliminate additional bodies on pit road.... (Link to article)

Another positive - fewer people for Harvick to blame when he gets behind :rolleyes:.

One thing that NASCAR could copy from F1:

Ban specialized pit crew personnel.

Have the race mechanics and the "pit crew" be one and the same.

Six less people at every race.

"Costs saved" and no difference in the number of guys over the pit wall.

I noticed last week that all pit stops with 4 tires were over 13 seconds even Hamlin's. If you slow this down to 15 seconds, all cars will be pitted before any start to leave making pit road safer. The guy coming in for gas only is the most dangerous car on pit road as he is weaving between cars who haven't made their own stall yet.. Just my opinion but I have noticed this in the past and last week there were no incidents on pit road.
What I would like to see just for the fun of it is " no pitting under yellow" and a car causing the caution ( blown tire etc.) must go straight to the garage for any repair. This will stop those dumb nuts from staying on track with their tire smoking from body rub. If he pits under green they can fix that in their pit stall. I will bet they stop staying out until the tire blows.

I noticed last week that all pit stops with 4 tires were over 13 seconds even Hamlin's. If you slow this down to 15 seconds, all cars will be pitted before any start to leave making pit road safer. The guy coming in for gas only is the most dangerous car on pit road as he is weaving between cars who haven't made their own stall yet.. Just my opinion but I have noticed this in the past and last week there were no incidents on pit road.
What I would like to see just for the fun of it is " no pitting under yellow" and a car causing the caution ( blown tire etc.) must go straight to the garage for any repair. This will stop those dumb nuts from staying on track with their tire smoking from body rub. If he pits under green they can fix that in their pit stall. I will bet they stop staying out until the tire blows.

What are there ? six new rules in your post ? I can't keep track of all of the existing rules .

Now that's even more stupid. A backmarker car loops it near the end of a fuel run and suddenly half the field DNF's.

Which teams are going bankrupt?

Are you REALLY trying to argue that the cars are not expensive to build and that rule changes do not add more overhead? It's cute that you follow me around and act like the forum skeptic, but take a walk away from the keyboard once in awhile and get some fresh air. ;)

Now that's even more stupid. A backmarker car loops it near the end of a fuel run and suddenly half the field DNF's.
Back markers also tend to loop it at the end of a tire run . If the rest of the field can't pit under that caution then they will all have to pit under green immediately . Meanwhile there will be others having tire problems . Seems like a big mess to me.

Are you REALLY trying to argue that the cars are not expensive to build and that rule changes do not add more overhead? It's cute that you follow me around and act like the forum skeptic, but take a walk away from the keyboard once in awhile and get some fresh air. ;)
No, I'm not making that argument. Read the post you responded to ... number 4. Nobody is being bankrupted by either the high capital or operating costs of this game.

Other than that ... you flatter yourself. Nobody's following you around.

You have to admit, no pitting under yellow really changes the game. It's the new math. :)

it would be easier to have 10 10 pint bottles for fuel so the gasman does not hurt himself or spill and fire the ;ane.

inb4 they adopt Formula 1 rule of no re-fuels during the race.
Formula One races are 185 miles long (about), with Monaco being like 155 miles, with four-cylinder engines.

Cup cars are twice as heavy, with V8 engines, in races that are 400 and 500 miles long.

They'd have to pull tanker trailers behind them to finish the race.

They'd have to pull tanker trailers behind them to finish the race.
That would definitely be awkward for the short tracks, and probably too dangerous for the plate races, but maybe an interesting idea for the All Star Race... :captive:

How will this save in tire costs? I assume they'll continue putting the same number of tires on,, just with one less person doing it.

Longer pit stops make it more desirable to consider a 2 tire pit stop over 4, and a (gas only) 0 tire pit stop over 2 or 4 tire stop. I think it might be as much as 2 sets of tires per race. Now teams will still buy and mount all the tires they can, but if they don't use them they can sell them back to Goodyear.

Back
Top Bottom