Goodyear warns teams...

Tires for any application should be over designed, they should not be a limiting factor in auto racing. Formula-1 had tires that could run an entire race, Nascar can too. If they cant build a tire that will handle the stress then its time to slow them down before we lose some drivers. IMO

Money is probably why they wont bring a proper tire to the races, proper tires cost big bucks

I guess we're going to see more Chase contenders be on the bubble if their RF blows out tonight.

Teams are pushing these things beyond the limits with their setups. What happens when a team pushes something beyond its limit? Failure. Doesn't really matter what part you're talking about. Teams have been warned. Will they listen? Probably not.

Teams are pushing these things beyond the limits with their setups. What happens when a team pushes something beyond its limit? Failure. Doesn't really matter what part you're talking about. Teams have been warned. Will they listen? Probably not.

I thought the whole point of racing was to push things to their limit.

Beyond was the key word there. You may have missed that.

If Goodyear can't make a tire that can keep up with what the teams are doing with their cars, then....what good is Goodyear? Seriously, the teams are squeezing out every last bit of horsepower, speed and grip out of their cars because of The Chase for the Sprint Cup, and Goodyear can't make a tire that'll keep up with the demands of the teams?

Maybe NASCAR should review it's contract it has with Goodyear during the off-season.

Risk vs reward. I'd hate to see the tire sensors only because it's another box they'd have to work in. Some teams work with less weight in engine components at the risk of failure or gained horsepower. Too far to the wrong side of that line and they're sitting in the garage. Some teams work with greater air pressure or more camber at the risk of failure or gained speed. Too far to the wrong side and they're sitting against the wall. This isn't tire failure like what they faced at Indy so long ago. It's being created by the teams themselves.

Risk vs reward. I'd hate to see the tire sensors only because it's another box they'd have to work in. Some teams work with less weight in engine components at the risk of failure or gained horsepower. Too far to the wrong side of that line and they're sitting in the garage. Some teams work with greater air pressure or more camber at the risk of failure or gained speed. Too far to the wrong side and they're sitting against the wall. This isn't tire failure like what they faced at Indy so long ago. It's being created by the teams themselves.
Yep. Next they'll want remote controlled tire inflaters/deflaters that work while they're racing on the track.

Despite all evidence to the contrary. Logano and Kez had the same setup at Kansas. Huh? Goodyear is still searching for an excuse on Jr and Kez tires, and even 'divined' one by saying there COULD have been a slow leak. YOU have the damn tires, so stop the BS and come clean.

Goodyear is just now realizing their air pressure numbers supplied to teams were wrong. The damage I saw to relatively fresh tires in the NW race were defects. Cords don't just uncoil like that. If they get exposed and wear, you don't end up with 15ft pieces of cord.

That may be true but they wont tolerate roll cages that cant handle the stress so why would they tolerate a tire thats not up to the task ? Nascar is all about safety but they let the teams run a set up that endangers everyone on the track

It would put an end to this ridiculous he said, she said nonsense. Team was running too low below the recommended psi before a tire let go? It's on them. Otherwise? Goodyear needs to reevaluate their tires for real.

At least next year there won't be as much load but it'd probably be safe just to keep track for analysis.

Teams always push the limits on everything. Yet we see more tire problems in most races than blown engines, transmissions and rear gears combined.

Goodyear is basically telling teams to not follow NASCAR's 100% rule.

Goodyear has been producing a crappy tire for a long time. I put 4 Goodyears on my kids Jimmy. Then replaced two, one had a broken belt, the other grew a 'tumor' on the side wall within months. Trashed them and went to Goodrich IIRC.
Friends wife's car had the broken belt problem too.

Goodyear has been producing a crappy tire for a long time. I put 4 Goodyears on my kids Jimmy. Then replaced two, one had a broken belt, the other grew a 'tumor' on the side wall within months. Trashed them and went to Goodrich IIRC.
Friends wife's car had the broken belt problem too.
You guys didn't have good enough of a setup on that Jimmy, for sure.

Despite all evidence to the contrary. Logano and Kez had the same setup at Kansas. Huh? Goodyear is still searching for an excuse on Jr and Kez tires, and even 'divined' one by saying there COULD have been a slow leak. YOU have the damn tires, so stop the BS and come clean.

Goodyear is just now realizing their air pressure numbers supplied to teams were wrong. The damage I saw to relatively fresh tires in the NW race were defects. Cords don't just uncoil like that. If they get exposed and wear, you don't end up with 15ft pieces of cord.

yeah......hms is concerned.....still haven't sent jr's kansas rf tire ta goodyear for examination . ??

kez says he and joey had same set up at kansas. gotta be true .....if kez said it ! :headbang:

yeah......hms is concerned.....still haven't sent jr's kansas rf tire ta goodyear for examination . ??

kez says he and joey had same set up at kansas. gotta be true .....if kez said it ! :headbang:

Errr, Goodyear has Jr's tire. You think Goodyear lets them bring them home or something?

Paul Wolfe said it. It may be time to sell off that Goodyear stock you're protecting. :p

You guys didn't have good enough of a setup on that Jimmy, for sure.
:XXROFL:

They may very well have had the same setup. Perhaps Brad has a different driving style than Joey and he was doing something different that put more stress on the tire and caused the failure.

That's the best I can come up with as a guy that isn't a racing tire expert like some of y'all. ;)

Up to the limit...but not past it. The goal is to get as much performance out of your equipment as you can without destroying it. And, it's the crew chiefs job to figure out where that limit is. With nitromethane in our fuel tanks we can push it past the limit and blow an engine up in 10 feet...but we had better make it last a 1000 feet if we want to win very many races.:)

Last edited:
Errr, Goodyear has Jr's tire. You think Goodyear lets them bring them home or something?

Paul Wolfe said it. It may be time to sell off that Goodyear stock you're protecting. :p

see op article !
just got kez's tire thursday.

:XXROFL:

They may very well have had the same setup. Perhaps Brad has a different driving style than Joey and he was doing something different that put more stress on the tire and caused the failure.

That's the best I can come up with as a guy that isn't a racing tire expert like some of y'all. ;)

only 1 goodyear expert on this forum . can anal- ize goodyear tires from tv replay ! ha!

Goodyear, seems to make a pretty good truck and trailer tire. I just drove from Pennsylvania to California grossing 77,000 pounds with no troubles.:)

If those Goodyear tire failures happened to Busch, Hamlin and Edwards, there'd be hardly a peep about it. But it didn't, it happened to a few Nascar princes so the sky is fallin and Goodyear is to blame.

Bulls**t.

Exact set ups is an elusive or abstract thing, simply because no two drivers will run the exact same lines. I am not buying the 100 percent openness anyway, even if they had one man setting the psi on the tires for both cars. There is nothing stopping Wolfe from having one his guys discreetly bleed out another pound, the ego wants it own prized secrets.

And recommended psi from Goodyear is just that, because the CCs are hell bent on running the PSI they think is best. Goodyear is a generic scorce they don't have anything to gain by getting 100 percent use or exhausting the capabilities of the tires. If they could have everybody not pushing the limits and the tires never giving up, that would be only be perfect for them. Hence they will never intentionally suggest an overly aggressive psi.

That's the Crew Chiefs job, and I want it that way, it is a professional sport, so even if Goodyear issued a recommended psi that was to low, tough crap the people actually racing need to be the real experts.

I would be OK with mandated weights on go carts were a lot of minors compete. But even at the local Late Model level I want Right Fronts that are not bricks, I want them to have a stress point that gives up if it is abused. Racing is definitely a risk management thing, and it should be technically difficult and without Goodyear babysitting the kids.

If a half dozen kill a tire in a 500 mile race and the other 37 don't that is just tough. They need to adjust the psi, set-up, or tell the driver to ease up his corner entry, or maybe all three.

If not then they having it coming, it is a part of racing that belongs imo.

But those left turn only tires they make sure do suck lately.:eek:
I haven't been able to watch any Nascar races the past few weeks so i don't know how many teams are having problems. If it is only a few then it is probably their setups...but if it is all of them then there could be a problem with the tires. I'm going to race my slot cars tonight, so i'm going to dvr the race and watch it when i get home.

Up to the limit...but not past it. The goal is to get as much performance out of your equipment as you can without destroying it. And, it's the crew chiefs job to figure out where that limit is. With nitromethane in our fuel tanks we can push it past the limit and blow an engine up in 10 feet...but we had better make it last a 1000 feet if we want to win very many races.:)
Welcome back Nitro.

I haven't been able to watch any Nascar races the past few weeks so i don't know how many teams are having problems. If it is only a few then it is probably their setups...but if it is all of them then there could be a problem with the tires. I'm going to race my slot cars tonight, so i'm going to dvr the race and watch it when i get home.
I have never seen a tire come unwound like these do this year?

Exact set ups is an elusive or abstract thing, simply because no two drivers will run the exact same lines. I am not buying the 100 percent openness anyway, even if they had one man setting the psi on the tires for both cars. There is nothing stopping Wolfe from having one his guys discreetly bleed out another pound, the ego wants it own prized secrets.

And recommended psi from Goodyear is just that, because the CCs are hell bent on running the PSI they think is best. Goodyear is a generic scorce they don't have anything to gain by getting 100 percent use or exhausting the capabilities of the tires. If they could have everybody not pushing the limits and the tires never giving up, that would be only be perfect for them. Hence they will never intentionally suggest an overly aggressive psi.

That's the Crew Chiefs job, and I want it that way, it is a professional sport, so even if Goodyear issued a recommended psi that was to low, tough crap the people actually racing need to be the real experts.

I would be OK with mandated weights on go carts were a lot of minors compete. But even at the local Late Model level I want Right Fronts that are not bricks, I want them to have a stress point that gives up if it is abused. Racing is definitely a risk management thing, and it should be technically difficult and without Goodyear babysitting the kids.

If a half dozen kill a tire in a 500 mile race and the other 37 don't that is just tough. They need to adjust the psi, set-up, or tell the driver to ease up his corner entry, or maybe all three.

If not then they having it coming, it is a part of racing that belongs imo.

And we'll continue to risk seeing slower cars finish the race, and even win.

I want teams to lose speed when they adjust too far, not outright wreck because the tire suddenly shredded.

If those Goodyear tire failures happened to Busch, Hamlin and Edwards, there'd be hardly a peep about it. But it didn't, it happened to a few Nascar princes so the sky is fallin and Goodyear is to blame.

Bulls**t.
Hamlin blew a right front tire at Kentucky before the competition caution even flew.

Newman blew a left rear tire at Chicagoland.

All three RFR cars lost their left rear during the Fontana fiasco and Edwards lost a left rear at Chicagoland.

Bulls**t.
It happened to drivers that have been atop the charts all year. If Busch Hamlin or Edwards had performed better during the year and suffered tire issues too maybe people would take notice :)

Back
Top Bottom