Got A 2nd Job...

BobbyFord

Secret Agent Man
Contributor
Not really. I'm working but I'm not getting paid. Not in $$, anyway.
Bodywork and paint for my cars will be my payment.
The guy that used to paint my Dad's cars called me to help him out on a few cars. Between my dad, my brother-in-law and myself we've had about 20 Fastback Mustangs, mostly S-code big blocks.
Paul was the body/paint guy. Amazing metal guy. This guy gets cars flat with minimal bondo. Paul has a shop at his house.
Unfortunately, Paul's wife suddenly became ill and passed away. As a result, Paul got behind with a few restos. He called and asked if I'd be willing to help, of course I said yes. I've known him for 35+ years, we do not need each other's money but we could use each other's help.

We're currently working on a 66 Mustang convertible. The owner took this car apart 14 years ago and brought it to Paul in pieces, with buckets of unmarked parts, nuts & bolts. The unibody on this car has been blasted, sealed and painted, driver's side door was actually cut in half longways and skinned. Rebuilt engine (4bbl conversion,) new carb, new radiator, rebuilt trans, rebuilt differential, rebuilt steering box, axle bearings, u-joints, new brakes, new brake hard lines, all new upper and lower control arms, new drag link and tie-rods, new P/S valve (this car was non-power brakes and non-power steering, converted to power.) 4 new P/S hoses (actually converted to 67 pump and ram,) new gas tank and new fuel hard lines. I'm also installing an AM/FM, 4-speaker radio, in place of the stock AM radio. We are about ready to trailer the car down to the exhaust shop for new dual exhaust, then I'll fire the new motor and break-in the cam. After that we'll send the car to the upholstery shop for a new convertible top. The seats are already done and after the top is done Paul and I will install the new carpet and seats.

I also have to finish up this 69 convertible. EVERYTHING is new but it hasn't been finalized or started up. It will need everything inspected and adjusted. Over $20K in parts alone invested in this car.

This is Mr. Haller's late 60's E-Type convertible. Paul did this car 20 years ago but someone parked it in a horse pasture and forgot about it, so they want it done again. FULL resto, body has been blasted and body worked. Nose needs to be bodyworked and engine and trans are being rebuilt.

In return, I have three trucks/cars that need attention. I pay for supplies, Paul bodyworks and we paint. I can paint but I do not have the patience to do the incredible bodywork that Paul does.
Just thought I'd share.

pretty cool there BobbyFord, pretty cool

The Mustang goes off to the upholstery shop tomorrow to get the new convertible top put on, then across the lot for the new dual exhaust. It's convenient having the muffler shop and the upholstery shop in the same complex. Next week I'll fire up the new motor and break in the camshaft. Then I'll install the stereo and dash while Paul installs the fenders, grille and hood.
It's not a concourse resto but it will be very nice when it's done.

I'm finally finished with the brake and P/S install...

Got the Mustang back from the exhaust and upholstery shop today.
We went with a Wimbledon White convertible top, which is more off-white than bright white. You can see the paint color in the sun now, Paul mixed and tinted the paint, personally.

The exhaust guy did a great job. The exhaust is tucked up real nice, you can't see the exhaust from behind the vehicle.

Tried to fire the fresh motor for the first time today and ran into a snag. I did not assemble this engine. It was assembled two years ago. I made sure the dist. was in time, filled the float bowl through the vent tube and it fired right off. It ran for about 15 seconds, it was obvious that a valve was either hung up or not opening. I shut it off immediately. Isolated the cylinder and pulled the left valve cover. #6 exhaust valve was hung open. I removed the rocker and the valve closed. Pulled the intake manifold and discovered that whomever assembled the motor somehow dinged the bottom of the lifter bore on the #6 exhaust. We'll deal with that tomorrow.

Were the front fenders/hood painted at the same time?
Yes, the entire (disassembled) car was painted at the same time. Prior to painting the car was assembled and "blocked out" so that all of the panels/lines were true and flat, then the car was disassembled and painted.

Yes, the entire (disassembled) car was painted at the same time. Prior to painting the car was assembled and "blocked out" so that all of the panels/lines were true and flat, then the car was disassembled and painted.
Awesome...I love the color with that top.

RTdA8eLT9.gif

Got off work today and headed over to Paul's. He took some 500 grit wetordry and lightly sanded the ding out of the bottom of the lifter bore while I was at work. I cleaned everything up and readjusted all of the valves while he went to get another set of intake gaskets. Got everything back together, fired it up and broke in the camshaft. The new exhaust sounds real nice. Customer supplied red plug wires o_O
I'll wire the stereo tomorrow, install the new instrument cluster and new defroster ducts/hoses while Paul gets the front sheet metal installed. Convertible top motor/pump died so we'll order a new one tomorrow. The owner should have this car back by the first week in December.

Got off work today and headed over to Paul's. He took some 500 grit wetordry and lightly sanded the ding out of the bottom of the lifter bore while I was at work. I cleaned everything up and readjusted all of the valves while he went to get another set of intake gaskets. Got everything back together, fired it up and broke in the camshaft. The new exhaust sounds real nice. Customer supplied red plug wires o_O
I'll wire the stereo tomorrow, install the new instrument cluster and new defroster ducts/hoses while Paul gets the front sheet metal installed. Convertible top motor/pump died so we'll order a new one tomorrow. The owner should have this car back by the first week in December.
Be sure to show us the finished product!

Be sure to show us the finished product!

Very, very nice job, Bobby. Love the shot of the underneath ---- excellent work.
And I'll echo Clutch --- finish pictures are a must.

Absolutely.
We're going to have to drive it (to the local Sunday car meet) to make sure everything is operational and safe for the owner :growl:

Had a bit of a setback. Car owner bought a Chinese intake manifold that was off a little. The rear of the intake barely touched the cork end gaskets so it began to seep. Pulled the intake this morning and replaced the intake gasket, this time eliminating the cork end gaskets and just ran a bead of ultra black silicone. Fixed a small P/S leak at the rear of the pump. Fixed someone else's brake line work at the rear end housing.
Got the heater box completely bolted in, ran the defroster ducting, finished the radio wiring (not the radio that I would choose), installed the ORIGINAL dash pad (I can't believe this 48 year old dash pad isn't cracked.)

Fenders are color-sanded, ready for buffing. (That's a '74 455 Trans-Am in the background, under the cover. Going to get complete paint.)

Fresh painted body bolts

Making progress (I hate the red plug wires :mad: ) '53 Stude Champion under the cover to the left.

I found out the E-Type convertible Jag is a '63 (most desirable year.) I'll have some pics of that later, Paul got a couple coats of paint on it this week. The owner chose a really nice dark green metallic.

Even though I've been working on my own truck resto for the past 5 years, I can't believe how much I've missed working on cars. I made a career change 15 years ago and brought my tools home. My hands have been bored for 15 years. It's nice to get back to my roots.

Tomorrow I get to work on my truck. :) I've been installing disc brakes on a vehicle that wasn't available with discs from the factory.
I bought a really awesome double flare tool. I will bend and double flare my own hard lines.

I'm using Bundyweld tube with Armor Guard shielding. I'm also relocating the prop valve under the master cylinder.

what's the coil for?
Generally, it is found on sections of the lower, exposed hard line on factory vehicles. It is a protective shielding against rocks and other road debris. It also is commonly found where brake hard line wraps around the frame.

I meant the two or three turns in the middle of the line.
Ahh. Because the master cylinder is mounted to the cab, which is rubber insulated from the frame. The lower half of the hard line is hard-mounted to the frame. It allows for movement of hard line between the cab and the frame.

Paul squirt a little color on the Jag today...

I got the instrument cluster in the Mustang and we set the front fenders in place.

We should have the hood and grille mounted this weekend.

Coming together nicely. Good job on the brake line.. Looks just like it is a factory part. Keep the photos coming. Would like to see pictures of the Jag through steps until finished.

Was that bumper rechromed or new after market.
Man it sure does shine!
The bumper, emblems, weatherstrips, instrument cluster bezel and a bunch of other stuff came from Scott Drake Mustang parts (repro.)
The front bumper was replace because the original was bent. The rear bumper is original and was rechromed.

The bumper, emblems, weatherstrips, instrument cluster bezel and a bunch of other stuff came from Scott Drake Mustang parts (repro.)
The front bumper was replace because the original was bent. The rear bumper is original and was rechromed.

Nice!

It's really a nice little car. I can't wait to get to the '69 convertible. The '69 is Paul's and we'll be driving on PCH in that one :)
Two days ago we got a 1969 Fastback project car. Total basket case. This one has some rust issues. We will make some repairs to this one, primer it, get it drivable and make about $5K to buy a better project.

Back
Top Bottom