Got A 2nd Job...

Here's the underneath of Paul's 69 Mustang. Whomever installed the rear yoke on the carrier did not seal the splines and there was a drip. All better. We'll clean all of the bondo dust off of the underside before we get it on the road.

I'm also changing the intake manifold (which will have to be port matched to the EFI heads) and probably the carburetor.

Nobody ever seals the damned splines, irritates the crap outta me to see the pinion weeping oil around the nut. I never understood why folks never did that small but important step

I could fix it for him but he's hard to talk to. He's had about 5 spinal surgeries and he's on a lot of pain meds. Sometimes he blows up.
He bought a 69 Fastback, 351W, 4-speed car. We were going to make money together; he buys the cars, we evaluate them, make repairs, flip them and make a specified split on the profit. He bought the wrong car, which we have sitting there under a car cover. He got pilled-out, flipped out and tried to dictate and we shut him down. Now his 64-1/2 is the only car that will be done.
He goes away when the coupe is finished.

I could fix it for him but he's hard to talk to. He's had about 5 spinal surgeries and he's on a lot of pain meds. Sometimes he blows up.
He bought a 69 Fastback, 351W, 4-speed car. We were going to make money together; he buys the cars, we evaluate them, make repairs, flip them and make a specified split on the profit. He bought the wrong car, which we have sitting there under a car cover. He got pilled-out, flipped out and tried to dictate and we shut him down. Now his 64-1/2 is the only car that will be done.
He goes away when the coupe is finished.
that sux

We got this little POS, too. For some reason the owner is in love with this car. It's a 64-1/2 "D"-code 4bbl 289 w/AC. The owner bought it from a girl that hit everything but the brakes. It has had both rear 1/4 panels replaced and a TON of dings and dents taken out. Driver's door was skinned. It will get a color change and new interior. Ice blue paint with white matte color on roof, Blue and white Pony interior. The only thing I'll help with on this car is the interior. I'll probably do the disassembly/assembly and the seat upholstery and carpet.

Just down the road from me is a scrap yard that has at least a dozen mustangs all slowly sinking into the ground. One is a convertible
with a brand new top never installed. I cry every time I drive by.

Painted my hood today on my Focus. Prepped it about a week or two ago. For some reason Oxford White, paint code YZ, does not adhere well to factory primer. This paint is used on GM and Ford cars. for some reason, it just lifts and peels.
I stripped what I could with a razor blade and then blended the edge. Epoxy primer and spot putty.
The paint is two stage; base and clear.

One here for the Chevy guys. Paul just painted this '66 Chevelle. I didn't work on this car yet but I'm going to do the interior.
This is the car in primer. It got painted a few days ago, awesome charcoal metallic. It's a small block car. We will also do interior, stereo, wheels and tires. The entire underside of the car was cleaned and POR 15'd. Owner installed a crate motor a while back but I will likely put some dress up goodies on the motor.
I'll get some pics of the car with paint tomorrow.

Finally got back to working on my truck. I'm modifying the hood to add a 1969 Mustang Shaker hood scoop. The scoop kit consists of alloy scoop, mid-plate, air cleaner lid, rubber hood seal and hood trim ring. When I finish the hood it will get blasted down to bare metal. The front of the hood has already been de-seamed. This is my spare hood and I'll likely sell it on our truck website when I'm done with it. I'll make a template from this hood to use on my cherry hood.
Got a little done today. I fitted the hood scoop trim ring, I'll have to modify it to fit the contour of the hood. That will be the least of my issues :)

I have to cut away the underside bracing to make room for the scoop rubber hood seal. I'll fill in the holes in the bracing with metal to tie the hood back together and make it stable.

Three day weekend, I'll get more done tomorrow.

I got a little more done on the underside of the hood today.

I just have some more work to do on the underside front edge bracing. The hood is firm with no oil canning.

This is about how the scoop will look with the hood closed...

I got a little more done on the underside of the hood today.

I just have some more work to do on the underside front edge bracing. The hood is firm with no oil canning.

This is about how the scoop will look with the hood closed...

Looks good! For some reason I thought you had to install the scoop a little off centre.

Looks good! For some reason I thought you had to install the scoop a little off centre.
The engine has about 1-1/2" offset because of the steering box sitting inboard of the left frame rail. Also, the driveshaft lines up better with the pinion. The hood scoop is part of the air cleaner so I will build a 1-1/2" offset into the lower half of the air cleaner, this way the hood scoop will be in line with the center line of the hood. :)

Looking good, Bobby. Looking forward to seeing it finished and installed.

When we moved, I sold my tractor collection and many of my tools, welder, cutting torches, drill press, other odds and ends. We have no place to put them here so now am looking to buy a property with a house and separate garage so I can get back into my tractors and rent the house to pay for the deal. No leads yet on property yet but actively looking. I miss not having my toys and projects.

Looking good, Bobby. Looking forward to seeing it finished and installed.

When we moved, I sold my tractor collection and many of my tools, welder, cutting torches, drill press, other odds and ends. We have no place to put them here so now am looking to buy a property with a house and separate garage so I can get back into my tractors and rent the house to pay for the deal. No leads yet on property yet but actively looking. I miss not having my toys and projects.
This type of work is therapeutic for me :)

This morning I've changed out a shower faucet, replaced a toilet tanks innards and put up a new mail box. Busy busy and I like it. :D

I've got almost all of those projects completed. Just finished putting up shelves and rearranging storage on a shed with washer / dryer. What to do next is my puzzle mostly because I really do not want to be tied to a schedule doing volunteer work. When I had my toys in Raleigh I could go there anytime and work on them. If I could find a house with detached garage, could rent the house then work on them in the garage. It was my choice to relocate to Florida and so far we do like it but I do miss the garage playpen I had.

I went to a friend's house on Tuesday, I see him every month or so. He used to have a motorcycle shop and is retired now. He rebuilt the lower end in my Shovelhead motor when I was 22. He is building a couple of bikes from scratch in his garage. One is a Captain America bike; think Easyrider. It's a panhead motor in a chrome Paughco hardtail frame.
The paint is done and is two stage, the clear hasn't been applied yet. He knows Peter Fonda and is going to get Peter to autograph the gas tank before the tank gets cleared. I'm going to head over and get some pics. Hopefully I'll be able to get continuous pics as the build goes on.

Back
Top Bottom