Grassroots 2020

Going to try Roaring Knob tomorrow and Sunday weather looks much better. Lincoln apparently has the go ahead to run Monday so have to see about that.
This is good to hear. Heading to PA tomorrow for maybe a month. Hope to see some races at Williams Grove and at other nearby tracks. Any idea if/when these tracks will be racing?

Did something I never do tonight and leave a race early, but when its midnight and there are still 4 features to run and theres a 4 hour drive home, and your going back tomorrow for the sprint car show you were more interested in anyway...
Dirt racing's number one problem right there.

Most asphalt races, I'm usually on the road by 11 or midnight. Dirt racing, more like 2 or 3.

Most asphalt races, I'm usually on the road by 11 or midnight. Dirt racing, more like 2 or 3.
Yeah at least the big event the super late models were third which is when I left. But the track was trying to run, Super Lates, Crate late models, chargers, emods, 2 different classes of 4 cylinders, and an enduro.

This is good to hear. Heading to PA tomorrow for maybe a month. Hope to see some races at Williams Grove and at other nearby tracks. Any idea if/when these tracks will be racing?
Lincoln is the only 410 regular track with a date announced so far, they are reopening tomorrow, you need to fill out a waiver that you can get online that says you accept the risks of being in a large crowd with the virus. I'd imagine others will figure their stuff out over that time period. Roaring Knob where I've been this weekend is in BFE so they had less issues.

35 410s at Roaring Knob last night put on a great show.

All fingers crossed my local dirt track will
keep the June 6th event on the schedule.
It will be their first show this year.
Full racing program plus demo derby and
$2000 to win in super lates.
I need some racing bad !

I learned this first hand last night. Just went to my first asphalt short track in Lebanon, MO. Expected them to get done by midnight or later due to my experience with dirt racing. Three different races totally 300 laps. Races started at 6:30 and they finished at around 9:45. First race was 100 laps. Had a caution on lap 1 then went the final 99 laps caution free. It was a nice change from what I've come to expect because of dirt racing.

I learned this first hand last night. Just went to my first asphalt short track in Lebanon, MO. Expected them to get done by midnight or later due to my experience with dirt racing. Three different races totally 300 laps. Races started at 6:30 and they finished at around 9:45. First race was 100 laps. Had a caution on lap 1 then went the final 99 laps caution free. It was a nice change from what I've come to expect because of dirt racing.
I've had the opposite before though I sent over 10 hours at a track last year a 50 lap street stock race took an hour and a half and was called at lap 37. 2 and a half hours for a 150 lap modified race.

All fingers crossed my local dirt track will
keep the June 6th event on the schedule.
It will be their first show this year.
Full racing program plus demo derby and
$2000 to win in super lates.
I need some racing bad !
Just announced "NO FANS MAY ATTEND" -I am getting ready to say a cussword.........

20200606_222630.jpg

First ever trip to Path Valley Speedway tonight a very fun quarter mile. Track was very rough for heats but became multigrooved for features, saw probably the best late model race I've seen in person, plus 600 and 270 micros, emods, 4 cyl thunder cars and 4 cyl strictly stocks. And an amazing plus for my usual visits to tracks it was finished before midnight!

Williams Grove reopens next week meaning the 3 central PA 410 tracks are all back.

@DIDIT did you make it to BAPS tonight? Heck of a sportsman race I'm here in turn 1 surrounded by Gutshalls friends and family and they all went running back to the pits ready to fight after he got run in the fence on the last lap.

358 feature was kind of a blow out

@DIDIT did you make it to BAPS tonight? Heck of a sportsman race I'm here in turn 1 surrounded by Gutshalls friends and family and they all went running back to the pits ready to fight after he got run in the fence on the last lap.
Oh man, I am so disappointed. Something didn't settle well with my digestive system and I spent most of the night on...well you know. I am only 10 miles from there. Looking forward to a couple races this weekend.

Oh man, I am so disappointed. Something didn't settle well with my digestive system and I spent most of the night on...well you know. I am only 10 miles from there. Looking forward to a couple races this weekend.
The sportsman was better then the 358 that was a run away, hope you feel better lots of racing this weekend think me and the girlfriend and kid are heading to Trail-way tonight I'm probably going to hit Mahoning Valley tomorrow and we have her quarter midgets sunday or I'd be at grandview

The sportsman was better then the 358 that was a run away, hope you feel better lots of racing this weekend think me and the girlfriend and kid are heading to Trail-way tonight I'm probably going to hit Mahoning Valley tomorrow and we have her quarter midgets sunday or I'd be at grandview
I was looking at Lincoln and Port Royal. I will check up on Mahoning as an option. Thanks!

I was looking at Lincoln and Port Royal. I will check up on Mahoning as an option. Thanks!
If you want Sprints I'd go to Port that will be the bigger draw I would believe of the 2. Mahoning is a quarter mile running pavement mods

Traded the dirt for pavement tonight and made my first trip to Mahoning Valley Speedway up in the Poconos. Jimmy Blewett won the 77 lap Modified feature in his first visit to the track. When I say
77 laps though it did not run that many...because after caution 14 at lap 65 they said ok 1 more caution and we go green white checkered which promptly happened. Until all the trouble in the feature it had been a fun night of racing was really impressed by Tyler Truex (cousin of Martin) who lost his heat race to a multi time track winner by about a foot in his first visit to the track. I love pavement mods, and I don't know if it's just because I've only been to 2 of their races and they've been longer shows but ths races really lack a good rhythm.

Traded the dirt for pavement tonight and made my first trip to Mahoning Valley Speedway up in the Poconos. Jimmy Blewett won the 77 lap Modified feature in his first visit to the track. When I say
77 laps though it did not run that many...because after caution 14 at lap 65 they said ok 1 more caution and we go green white checkered which promptly happened. Until all the trouble in the feature it had been a fun night of racing was really impressed by Tyler Truex (cousin of Martin) who lost his heat race to a multi time track winner by about a foot in his first visit to the track. I love pavement mods, and I don't know if it's just because I've only been to 2 of their races and they've been longer shows but ths races really lack a good rhythm.
I have been to a number of tracks, more recently than in the past, that I wished had the balls to make that call. Especially when the drivers have a chance to pull off and choose to stop on the track.

Have you been to a Whelen Modified Tour show? That should be a lot better than a local tour type modified race.
They tend to get a little wrecky at Thompson based on the shows i've been to there, but most of the other tracks they go to, they put on great shows without too many yellows. I wish Jennerstown this weekend was open to fans... they have been doing other races with fans at Jennerstown... nascar is still too scared to have fans in the stands. Same with ARCA east at Toledo on Saturday... I would've been there as well... Sucks

On saturday I made it to my second race of 2020 (first was last week, CARS Tour at Ace Speedway in NC). The OVSCA (Ohio Valley Sprint Car Association) 410 sprint cars at Wayne County Speedway in Ohio, $3,000 to win. I've never seen that series before, but i've seen results and they seem to often get as few as 15-18 cars at some events. This show had 39, including a few big regional names and a lot of local drivers from places like Attica and Fremont. As far as I know it was only the second 410 sprint show in Ohio that allowed fans (the first being Friday night at Attica, which sold only pit passes, $30 each, for a local show). The place was PACKED, this was only my second trip to the track, they had more people for this small regional 410 sprint series than when I was there for the World of Outlaws late models years ago. I can't imagine the OVSCA has ever had that big of a crowd...
I guess everyone has been race starved, and the state just opened up for things like this on June 10.
$15 for this show was an amazing bargain, and i'm sure the promoter made a fortune from the show. The show certainly exceeded all expectations.

Went to Port Royal last night for the 410's and 305's. I really enjoyed the 305's as they seemed to be a bit of a throwback to how the sprint cars used to race. For pure speed the 410's are really fast here. I have been to the Port a few times now and it is becoming one of my favorite tracks if not my favorite. That includes Eldora and Knoxville. I like everything about this track, couldn't even think of a single complaint.

Have you been to a Whelen Modified Tour show? That should be a lot better than a local tour type modified race.
They tend to get a little wrecky at Thompson based on the shows i've been to there, but most of the other tracks they go to, they put on great shows without too many yellows. I wish Jennerstown this weekend was open to fans... they have been doing other races with fans at Jennerstown... nascar is still too scared to have fans in the stands. Same with ARCA east at Toledo on Saturday... I would've been there as well... Sucks
Not yet I've been trying to but stuff came up last year. I had plans to try to do Jennerstown and Wall this year so hopefully fans are allowed at the 2nd race at Jennerstown since it's hard to say where Jersey will be at with allowing people, though they have held practices at Bridgeport over the weekend.

Not yet I've been trying to but stuff came up last year. I had plans to try to do Jennerstown and Wall this year so hopefully fans are allowed at the 2nd race at Jennerstown since it's hard to say where Jersey will be at with allowing people, though they have held practices at Bridgeport over the weekend.

Jennerstown is doing local racing with fans this saturday, but no fans for sundays NWMT race... NASCAR makes no sense.
They are saying the august race will be with fans. NASCAR announced that the July 3 ARCA race in Indianapolis will be with fans, that and the Utah race on the 27th are the first NASCAR regional series races that are allowing fans, so thats a good sign.

Jennerstown is doing local racing with fans this saturday, but no fans for sundays NWMT race... NASCAR makes no sense.
They are saying the august race will be with fans. NASCAR announced that the July 3 ARCA race in Indianapolis will be with fans, that and the Utah race on the 27th are the first NASCAR regional series races that are allowing fans, so thats a good sign.
I saw that Jennerstown is a long haul 4 hours one way for me if I'm not staying over which I learned is a lot when I did it a few weeks ago. But I'd do it for that I'd also been thinking about the Cars tour race.

I saw that Jennerstown is a long haul 4 hours one way for me if I'm not staying over which I learned is a lot when I did it a few weeks ago. But I'd do it for that I'd also been thinking about the Cars tour race.

I went to Jennerstown once, way back in 2006 for a USAR Hooters Pro Cup Series race. Really great track! Highly recommended.
The CARS tour race and the NWMT should both be a good show there.

I went to Jennerstown once, way back in 2006 for a USAR Hooters Pro Cup Series race. Really great track! Highly recommended.
The CARS tour race and the NWMT should both be a good show there.
It's the next closest paved track to me in Pa that I haven't been to, since theres not a ton to pick from compared to dirt. But it's in my priority tracks that I haven't been to in PA yet.

Bethel Motor Speedway in NY is racing with fans this Saturday (hopefully with me attending). Low-banked asphalt 1/5th of a mile...they claim 1/4 mile but that's only if you're racing on top of the wall. Maybe 30 miles from the PA border. I live an hour and a half from the track and had never heard of it til maybe 5 years ago but they do a fine job and I try to get there a couple times a year. Racing is surprisingly good considering I doubt they go over 60mph.

Back at the track tonight for opening night at Action Track USA in Kutztown Pennsylvania. 2nd time I've been here but last year the features got rained out after all the heats. I think it's a quarter mile if not it's a 1/5th I forget. USAC Speedsters, 600 micros, and slingshots.
20200624_174315.jpg
20200624_174317.jpg

Back
Top Bottom