Greatest What If Drivers...

These drivers didn't have their careers cut short, but chose not to get into Nascar. Drivers like Larry Phillips, Bob Senneker, Mike Eddy, Tom Reffner, and others. And Trickle who got into Nascar late. From what I understand, they were making more money hitting the big local shows back in the 70's and 80's. I wonder how Ed Howe would have done as Nascar builder/innovator (he was a pretty good driver too)?

If Davey Allison, Alan Kulwicki, or Tim Richmond hadn't died young then Dale Earnhardt would not have seven championships. Jeff Gordon might or might not have his four championships - he had an age advantage over those others. Rob Moroso had enough potential (and backing money) to win some races, but I'm not sure if he had a championship in him. Hard to tell about Kenny Irwin Jr, since he never got a shot with a really good team. Although Ernie Irvan's injuries did cut his career short, he'd already shown what he had in very good equipment and I don't think he would have done a lot more - he'd have some more wins, but I doubt a championship.
Irwin drove the 28, thats a pretty good team

I think Irvan could have won a title had he stayed at Morgan-McClure. The 4 car remained a really good ride with Marlin for several years. Irvan would have elevated the 4's ceiling even higher. He easily could have won a title in the 28 had he stayed healthy. He was DE Sr. and Rusty Wallace rolled into one.

I really think Kulwicki would have struggled as time went on. I have nothing against him but he was a very difficult person to work with. I think his prickly personality would have made it difficult for him to work with a corporate team as NASCAR evolved in the 90's.

Here's a bit of what if, what if Bill Elliott didn't start his own team? Could he have won a second title? He had good opportunities outside of starting up his own gig. The 94 was competitive but I think he lost 10-15 wins and another title run.

The 90's really were a crazy decade. So much happened, so much changed....

I think Irvan could have won a title had he stayed at Morgan-McClure. The 4 car remained a really good ride with Marlin for several years. Irvan would have elevated the 4's ceiling even higher. He easily could have won a title in the 28 had he stayed healthy. He was DE Sr. and Rusty Wallace rolled into one.

I really think Kulwicki would have struggled as time went on. I have nothing against him but he was a very difficult person to work with. I think his prickly personality would have made it difficult for him to work with a corporate team as NASCAR evolved in the 90's.

Here's a bit of what if, what if Bill Elliott didn't start his own team? Could he have won a second title? He had good opportunities outside of starting up his own gig. The 94 was competitive but I think he lost 10-15 wins and another title run.

The 90's really were a crazy decade. So much happened, so much changed....
Bill left Junior Johnson to start his own team? What if he had signed with Hendrick or Penske (if he had offers?) That would have changed many things good point!

I would of liked to see what Bobby Hamilton could of done in good equipment. He got two of Petty Enterprises' last wins and won for Morgan-McClure and Andy Petree as well proving that he had talent. Had he been able to get a ride with Hendrick, Roush, Penske or another top team he no doubt would of had more wins and probably been a championship contender.

Ward Burton as well. You want to talk about a driver who had all the ability and personality to get things done. He held Bill Davis down for so many years, I wonder if Ward would have left BDR, would he have been another journeyman or possibly a champion?

Sterling Marlin was a very good one as well, but his injury in 2002 truly took a toll on him. I think 2002 would have been Sterling's year IMHO.

Sterling Marlin was a very good one as well, but his injury in 2002 truly took a toll on him. I think 2002 would have been Sterling's year IMHO.
People forget Sterling was down to 5th in points before he had to sit out any races. It would've been an uphill battle the last 7 weeks.

People forget Sterling was down to 5th in points before he had to sit out any races. It would've been an uphill battle the last 7 weeks.
Sterling battled JG in 01 for a bit until the Yates duo of Jarrett and Rudd zoomed by him in the last part of the year

Back
Top Bottom