Greg Moore's Lawsuit

V

Vern Demerest

Greg has got to be rolling over in his gave!

Another Lawsuit: Greg Moore's wrongful death lawsuit will be back in a U.S. court later this year or early 2004. Lawyers representing Moore's estate filed an appeal earlier this summer arguing the wrongful death lawsuit resulting from the Maple Ridge, B.C., driver's fatal crash in 1999 shouldn't have been dismissed. The brief, filed with the Riverside, Calif., County Court of Appeals, names Championship Auto Racing Teams and California Speedway Corp. as defendants. The appeal is an attempt to overturn an earlier decision by a lower court to dismiss the suit. Moore, 24, died when his car crashed into a wall during the Marlboro 500 at California Speedway. Lawyers representing the Moore estate maintain the death was caused because when the car left the course, it skidded on grass in the track's infield and slammed into a concrete wall that was void of any energy-absorbing material.(Toronto Sun/CP)(9-16-2003)

I have seen the accident, and I still have not found out what happened to his car. Did he loose control or did he suffer a mechanical failure?

I heard that when Greg came thru the turn, he hit one of those bumps in the turns, and it caused him to lose control of the car. They said that his broken hand had nothing to do with it.

I was a bigtime Greg Moore fan, still am to this day, but I think when Greg died, CART died with him.

I guess I have to agree with you there. That accident was devastating not only to the poor young man in that car, but to the sport at well. Greg Moore dying and another young mexican rookie I believe, died that year or around that time in an accident at Laguna Seca.

Speaking of reasons why CART has partially gone down the drain, I also think Zanardi's near death accident also cut off many loyal fans to the series. Two big name world champion drivers, getting taken out a sport or any sport for that matter, will definitely lower crowds and fans alike.

Originally posted by BebiF1@Sep 17 2003, 06:45 PM
................Zanardi's near death accident ...................
Look what I found over at That's Racin.com!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Wed, Sep. 17, 2003

Zanardi planning to make racing comeback
The Associated Press

MUNICH, Germany – Alex Zanardi is making a one-race comeback, two years after losing both legs in a crash in Germany.
Zanardi will drive a specially designed BMW 320i car at the Oct. 19 FIA European Touring Car Championship race in Monza, Italy, the BMW racing team said Wednesday.

The Italian driver lost both legs in a crash during a CART series race on Sept. 15, 2001.

"I escaped death two years ago," the former Formula One driver said in the statement released by BMW. "Although the situation was so difficult then, I made it my goal to lead a normal life again.

"Today, I run, I swim, I ski and on Oct. 19 I will complete my vision and compete in a race again," Zanardi said.

The car to be driven by Zanardi will have its accelerator and clutch attached to the steering wheel, BMW said.

There were no plans for Zanardi to race again next year, said BMW spokeswoman Heike Bartsch.

"He wants to see how it feels. If everything goes well, there could be talks in the future about him racing again," she said.

My favorite driver of all time is Greg Moore. I think he was a great ambassador to the sport of racing. The cart drivers today would do well to follow his example of being accessible to their fans (without it being mandated by Chris Pook).
I was truly heartbroken by Greg's death. And no disrespect to Greg's family, But I think that a wrongful death suit is just wrong. When you race a 1500lb. car at 230mph you have accepted the fact that there is going to be substantial risk involved. The way Greg's car hit that wall I doubt the outcome would have been much different if the so called energy absorbing walls were used. Wronful death suits in all manner of racing should be waived by all drivers and their families if they are going to race.
Drivers race, sometimes they crash, and sometimes they die. It's a sad part of racing, but it is racing.

Back
Top Bottom