Grilling/BBQ season...

Gato_Solo

Team Owner
is nigh. I've been on the lookout for pecan wood for a bit, and am in the process of doing a complete re-cleaning of the offset smoker I have. I can taste those delicately pecan-smoke enhanced ribs now...anybody else?

Just got done grillin a NY Strip about half an hour ago.MMMMMMMMMMMM:beerbang:

You do mesquite, or some other wood for flavor? Since most of the wood I can snag in SC is either peach or pecan, my 'free' choices are limited. I DO know of a couple of persimmon trees, but I don't know what kind of flavor comes from that smoke...

Oak with a touch of mesquite for ribs/brisket

Apple and cherry for poultry and fish. Apple smoked pork roast is some tasty.:)

Maple for poultry, ham and veggies

NEVER use a soft wood like pine, never.

Oak with a touch of mesquite for ribs/brisket

Apple and cherry for poultry and fish. Apple smoked pork roast is some tasty.:)

Maple for poultry, ham and veggies

NEVER use a soft wood like pine, never.

You mean you don't like creosote? :D

This will kill you I'm sure but a quick 'sawmills sc' search returned 60 some hits. These sawmill guys are some real decent people. Bet they won't charge much, if anything for their hardwood waste which is perfect for use in smoking.

Here's my brother-in-law's bbq grill. The first three or so pictures is at a party for my 60th birthday. Fred can cook two full pigs on the big grill and thirty or so chicken on the other grill. When he brings this beauty and parks it in my driveway, we get loads of looks and people always ask if they can have a plate! Fred also does a lot of smoking.

http://smokeyws.com/sitemap.aspx

Oh yeah, I forgot...he also makes hushpuppies too.

Mmm BBQ, summer, green grass, sigh still a few months away here.

I usually grill pretty much year round, when I can get to the grill through the snow, but my grill just quit putting out enough propane in the fall. The tank is pretty full, but I think there is rust or something built up in the tubing. I plan on replacing the tubing/burner assembly when the weather is a little more conducive to grilling on a regular basis.

I miss it terribly though. There isn't much better to me than grilled chicken that's been marinated in italian salad dressing, with a little rice pilaf and green beans on the side.

Gas grills and cold weather don't mix IMHO. That's why I now use charcoal, both briquet and lump year round. Difficult if not impossible to maintain a 225 degree temp for bbq below 50 degrees. 60 degrees if the wind is blowing. We do keep a small gas grille at the ready for power outages.

Wow, you wait for summer to grill? Cannot live without smoked meats!

Hickory for pork, Apple for chicken, mesquite for beef. I tried pecan, although in same family as hickory produces a heavy smokey flavor.

My parents got a gas/charcoal combo for Christmas and I used Jack Daniel wood chips. They are made from old Jack Daniel barrels that were used to age that sweet necter...

When ya'll say you used pecans, did you use the pecan shell or wood from a tree? I've heard of both but never tried either.

I've always wanted to get a smoker, but just have never done so. This rig of Fred's is one that he designed himself and had it made. He won't tell me how much it cost, but I know his first one was about a quarter that size and cost about four grand. Anyway, it's always fun when he comes for Christmas and we sit outside, smoking cigars while the meat is cooking. He also does the deep fried turkey.

My parents got a gas/charcoal combo for Christmas and I used Jack Daniel wood chips. They are made from old Jack Daniel barrels that were used to age that sweet necter...

When ya'll say you used pecans, did you use the pecan shell or wood from a tree? I've heard of both but never tried either.

Either works well. I prefer the wood, though, as the shells will burn pretty quick. The tree outside my apartment tends to drop small branches after every rain shower. I just collect them up, and store them in a metal pail until needed.

SST...I'm not dead. :p Most of those sawmills sell their scrap to the papermill. The stuff they don't classify as scrap is pretty bad. You may get some good stuff from time to time, but it, like life, is not guaranteed. Found out about a small pecan grove close by, though. I'll check with the owner...if I can actually find him/her to see if I can scrounge.

Back
Top Bottom