Happy 83rd Birthday Bobby!

Spotter22

Team Owner
bobby bday.jpg

My very first Cup race, I was 5 years old, was the 1988 Miller High Life 500. That day will stick with me forever. Not only did I attend that race but I (with the help of my grandmother) also sent him a get well card when he was at the nearby Lehigh Valley Hospital recovering. Very few people expected Bobby to recover as well as he did. Same with Irvan.

My very first Cup race, I was 5 years old, was the 1988 Miller High Life 500. That day will stick with me forever. Not only did I attend that race but I (with the help of my grandmother) also sent him a get well card when he was at the nearby Lehigh Valley Hospital recovering. Very few people expected Bobby to recover as well as he did. Same with Irvan.
Remember that well. We didnt think he was coming back from that one. Tough SOB

M

Bumpergate, courtesy of Gary Nelson.
That was it. I remember Petty hitting the wall pretty good and that bummed us out.
That whole bumper thing never was a concern to us in the stands as I remember. It wouldnt be
till the mid 80's that i got into a scanner. That opened a whole new world of spectating
to me. Also getting timely info about what was happening.

Greatest guy ever. Ran into him at Auto Club, and just wanted to say hi and pay him some respect. He "let" me go back to my seat 1/2 hour later. No joke.
I believe it. He loves his fans and talking about racing.

Well said....

Rick Karle WVTM 13

He has suffered too much loss, yet his spirit is enviable.
He's lost his wife and two sons, yet his kindness is unwavering.
He's a racing legend, a father, a grandfather, a great grandfather and a friend.
And today he's celebrating a birthday.
Bobby Allison turns 83 today.
He's living in Charlotte and getting along well.
He stays busy with autograph signings alongside other race legends.
He enjoys his 11 grandchildren and 12 great grandchildren.
And every day, he looks back at the great times in his life.
The Alabama Gang.
The 3 Daytona 500 wins (edging his son Davey in 1988).
The 3 Winston 500 wins at Talladega.
The time in 1979 when Cale Yarborough's face accidentally met his fist.
The seven times he was voted NASCAR's favorite driver.
The times under the hood and at the fishing hole with his sons.
The years traveling with his wife Judy.
Spending time with his daughters Bonnie and Carrie.
Bobby's faith and perseverance are to be admired.
Even after losing Clifford and Davey, his best friend Neil Bonnett and later his wife Judy, Bobby stays the course and shows us what class is all about.
When I think of Hueytown, Alabama I think of Bobby Allison.
When I think of The Alabama Gang, I think of Bobby Allison.
When I think about class and kindness, I think about Bobby Allison.
And today on his 83rd birthday, I know that all of us will be wishing him our best.

I believe it. He loves his fans and talking about racing.

I called him "Mr. Allison." He said, "Please call me Bobby." I couldn't speak after that. Just couldn't. I don't have the credentials to call him "Bobby." Then, I started to think...all that he has been through....I just love the guy.

Back
Top Bottom