Has Kevin Harvick (at age 43) Lost A Step?

I'd love him to be, but he doesn't have a place there imo. Kyle will surpass him.

That top 5 seems to be consensus, then you basically have

6. DW
7. Yarborough
8. Allison
9. Stewart
10. Busch/Harvick

Harvick won't surpass Stewart, imo. Busch will surpass both. I just don't see a place in the top 10 unless Harv wins 2 more titles, imo.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Harvick's already surpassed Stewart on the wins list, if he gets to 60-70 it's a slam dunk. Titles are a 1 race coin flip at this point.

Harvick's already surpassed Stewart on the wins list, if he gets to 60-70 it's a slam dunk. Titles are a 1 race coin flip at this point.
I agree, titles don't carry the weight they once did. Harvick is on his way to yet another season long points championship. His 4th I believe.

Kevin is a heck of a wheel man but if I did the math right 32 of his 55 wins have come since he teamed up with Rodney. I think in this deal Rodney deserves a lot of the credit for giving him equipment to go out there and win in

I love what Harvick and Rodney are doing. Rodney trims the car out, and Harvick can live with it on the rare occasion that he is in traffic. He gets clean air, it's over. Perfect example of a crew chief knowing exactly how much he can ask of his driver. If he isn't Champion this year, I will consider it a massive upset. Hamlin is good, but Denny is Denny. If he is having his best day, expect Phoenix to look like Michigan II....with the same result.

I love what Harvick and Rodney are doing. Rodney trims the car out, and Harvick can live with it on the rare occasion that he is in traffic. He gets clean air, it's over. Perfect example of a crew chief knowing exactly how much he can ask of his driver. If he isn't Champion this year, I will consider it a massive upset. Hamlin is good, but Denny is Denny. If he is having his best day, expect Phoenix to look like Michigan II....with the same result.
Most likely scenario.

Harvick can win every other race and lose Miami to one of three drivers and lose the title.

That is quite upsetting.
Racing gods won't let that happen.

He and Denny have been so strong, that either one of them is a deserving champion.

However, I'm of the "they all know the rules" philosophy. If Harvick has THAT much speed, as he has all year, they should be able to bring a monster to Phoenix. And they will. No doubt.

If Kyle makes the final four I would not bet against him at Phoenix

He and Denny have been so strong, that either one of them is a deserving champion.

However, I'm of the "they all know the rules" philosophy. If Harvick has THAT much speed, as he has all year, they should be able to bring a monster to Phoenix. And they will. No doubt.

You are right, they all know the rules. That doesn't mean I like them. Last year, the 18 was not the fastest car, hadn't been most the season. Circumstances put him out front towards the end. The 22 had no where near the season of the "big 3" in 18 but they managed to catch up by Homestead. Basically any team in the play offs could hit on something big in those final races and all this champion talk here would be rendered farcical.

You are right, they all know the rules. That doesn't mean I like them. Last year, the 18 was not the fastest car, hadn't been most the season. Circumstances put him out front towards the end. The 22 had no where near the season of the "big 3" in 18 but they managed to catch up by Homestead. Basically any team in the play offs could hit on something big in those final races and all this champion talk here would be rendered farcical.
No doubt the prestiege of the championship took a hit with this latest edition. No offense previous champions, that might help your paycheck to be a champion under the old way of doing things, but we need more viewers and WE are paying the bills. We have the village idiot (Brian) running the show so let's come up with something that works for us and make it look like it was his idea.

The coolest thing to me is the way Rodney is setting the car up for him. Trimmed out.....all he can handle in the corners, and killing them in the straights. The rest of SHR can't drive that car. Penskes can't drive that car. KFB can't drive that car. Harvick can drive that car. I can't see him being anything other than a beast when they get to Phoenix.

“When you look at the point standings from this year, you see why the playoffs were put into effect in trying to make sure that we had an intriguing 10 weeks of racing as we went toward the end of the year. It’s very difficult to get yourself to the last race of the season and be one of those four cars and trying to be able to race for let alone win a championship.
“It’s very difficult to put yourself in that position and once you get there be able to put everything together against the other three guys on one particular day, especially when it’s been at the same race track (Homestead-Miami Speedway) every season that we’ve gone about it this way.”

He fell into this one , but if you run up front, things like that happen. They've lost far more races they should have won than races they've stolen.
I don't know when age will catch up with him but he's firing on all cylinders right now.

I'm thinking of all those races where he came in second for whatever reasons. In 2015 he had 14 second place finishes. It's crazy how many wins he could have by now but would, coulda doesn't mean much at the end of the day.

I think Kevin got quite a bit out of that RCR stuff, Along with Newman...

I like to think what if Kevin left RCR for a better team earlier than he did?... On paper it would seem his number could be even better

I guess that game could be played all day with many situations though...

2. Exclusive club

Kevin Harvick’s eight victories has him on pace to become the first driver to win at least 10 Cup races in a season in more than a decade and only the third driver to reach that mark in the past quarter century.

Jimmie Johnson is the last driver to accomplish the feat. He won 10 races in 2007. The only other driver to reach that mark in the last 25 years is Jeff Gordon. He won 13 races in 1998 and 10 races each in 1996 and ’97.

2. Exclusive club

Kevin Harvick’s eight victories has him on pace to become the first driver to win at least 10 Cup races in a season in more than a decade and only the third driver to reach that mark in the past quarter century.

Jimmie Johnson is the last driver to accomplish the feat. He won 10 races in 2007. The only other driver to reach that mark in the last 25 years is Jeff Gordon. He won 13 races in 1998 and 10 races each in 1996 and ’97.
I would have swore edwards had a 10 race win season at roush. I guess my memory is failing me again.
Edit to add, it looks like it was 9 wins in 2008.

Unfortunately, he could still very easily lose this championship to a far less deserving driver.
What else is new. I watch for the racing now days, can't follow the points like I used to be able to do. And now insult to injury, it seems NBCSN has decided the "playoffs" are the next thing to sliced bread and they are missing a lot of the racing yapping about it.

Unfortunately, he could still very easily lose this championship to a far less deserving driver.
I’d go so far as to call whoever wins it besides Harvick a paper champion. Just my view, Harvick is most deserving this year, it’s been unreal what he has done especially during this wacky season. I’ll be really disappointed if Harvick doesn’t win the championship this year and doubly disappointed in the points system.

If I list out a personal rankings of all time great drivers... the name ‘Kevin Harvick’ is insanely high on that list.

I’m still amazed at what he’s done since turning 40. No way to describe it

Back
Top Bottom