Hendricks dismantling, Wheaties to the #28

H

HardScrabble

Yes it was in the rumor mill 5 years ago. DE really wants to retire. And even then Yates was going to start a third team.

Just a few items of news from this week in 1997:

Here is a BIG rumor I have heard from a very good source of mine in reference to the Wheaties sponsorship: Wheaties will be the sponsor of the....#28 RYR Ford in 1998!?(Jayski)

iRACE says Dale Earnhardt, still looking for the magic needed to return to victory lane, has told close associates he'd really like to retire as a driver but can't because of his lucrative souvenir businesses

RICK HENDRICK, who is ill with leukemia, has begun planning to dismantle
his mammoth racing operation, according to General Motors sources. (Mike
Mulhern, JournalNow)

Robert Yates might pull a big surprise next season and expand his two-car team to a three-car operation, according to men close to Yates. That would give Yates a fall-back plan if rookie Kenny Irwin has trouble making the transition to the Cup tour. (Mike Mulhern, JournalNow)

According to unconfirmed reports, Irvan was asking about $1.5 million from Robert Yates for 1998; that would be a top-of-the-line driver deal. However, teammate Dale Jarrett is reported to be making only $900,000, so Yates would also have to give him a raise to the same level . . . without any significant increase in sponsorship money to pay for the two hikes. That would be more than $1 million out of Yates' pocket.

I hear the Matt Kenseth to Roush rumor is not true and that the Roush Busch program is switching to Pontiac? Does this make any sense to anyone else? Why stay Ford in WC and Pontiac in BGN?? R&D?(Jayski)

The Associated Press is reporting that the $50,000 fine incurred by Tony Furr for illegal carb studs at Daytona has been upheld by a 3-man NASCAR panel. The story doesn't indicate whether this decision will be appealed, but you can bet before either Tony or Cale Yarborough sign off on 50 big ones that they'll plead their case before the National Stock Car Commissioner, Bunkie Knudsen. Officials found in pre-race inspection the carburetor mounting studs on the No. 98 Thunderbird had been designed to move. Officials took the studs before the race, which were replaced with ones that meet NASCAR specs.

The prize posting package for the fourth Brickyard 400 will be the largest
in NASCAR Winston Cup history and will total more than $4,815,311,
including $330,000 from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, officials
announced today.

Funny how all of those rumors just didn't quite pan out. Kinda like most of the ones you hear today.

TRL, And that's why your smarter than I am. I just love listening to racing rumors. Most of which I know to discount but some you can't help to believe.:toothy:

that was before i was online every day, man i would have probaly flipped if i heard all that then.

I hear the Matt Kenseth to Roush rumor is not true and that the Roush Busch program is switching to Pontiac? I thinkt hat is the funniest one out of all of them.

Most things that you hear are exactly what the are Rumors, and nothing more. There will be changes, but not nearly the number there would be if All rumors were true. Although this year and 03 I believe their will be more changes than usual.

I find it interesting. Some rumors do pan out though, and it never hurts to know what is being discussed, but be aware that it might be far from what actually happens. Rumors are rumors, they are usually worth what you pay for them.

Back
Top Bottom