Here's an idea...(The Chase)

NC HillBilly

Back home where I belong
You know how they move around the venue for the Superbowl every year?

What if NASCAR did the same thing for the Chase? By that I mean every year all 10 of those races would be held at random tracks. You couldn't make it totally random of course...but you could mix things up a bit and wait til the start of the season to announce the venues.

For example I'd love to see two road course races thrown into the chase every year. Maybe a "wild card" track that isn't raced on during the regular season (like VIR) or an older track that doesn't currently have a cup race.

If you could pick, which tracks would you throw into the chase?

Would be neat, but there's so much political bullcrap between NASCAR, ISC and SMI about which tracks get dates and when and whatnot that it would never happen.

Would be neat, but there's so much political bullcrap between NASCAR, ISC and SMI about which tracks get dates and when and whatnot that it would never happen.

I know, but it's fun to dream :D

Watkins Glen
Talladega
Bristol
Dover
Phoenix
Martinsville
Atlanta
Indianapolis
Dover
Charlotte

Here's a novel idea, leave the schedule alone and dump the chase, wait umm, we've been wanting that for years, oh well carry on.

Yeah Dates at tracks are under contracts. Besides what if you had those annual renewal ticket at say Martinsville, and Joe Blow from butt munch decided he wanted the final race at Darlington?

But they could fix the Super Speedway issue and a need for a road course in the chase without affecting the current schedule, just update the infield road course at Dega to accommodate Stock cars, and run the Chase Dega as a road course race. No dates lost or changed either. And as far as I'm concerned if you can't drive road course, you don't know how to race.

Here's a novel idea, leave the schedule alone and dump the chase, wait umm, we've been wanting that for years, oh well carry on.
Ummm 11 races in and the great yawners are already a full race ahead in points and looking like he not done , got them on the ground and gonna do a little head stomping til race 26. How fun would this be without the chase?

Yeah Dates at tracks are under contracts. Besides what if you had those annual renewal ticket at say Martinsville, and Joe Blow from butt munch decided he wanted the final race at Darlington?

But they could fix the Super Speedway issue and a need for a road course in the chase without affecting the current schedule, just update the infield road course at Dega to accommodate Stock cars, and run the Chase Dega as a road course race. No dates lost or changed either. And as far as I'm concerned if you can't drive road course, you don't know how to race.

I don't think you're grasping the fact that most NASCAR fans like Daytona and Talladega. There is no "Super Speedway issue" except to a minority.

I'd like to see a Chase schedule more representative of the "regular season" or whatever you want to call it. Cut it down from four 1.5-mile tri-ovals to two, add another short track, add a road course.

I don't think you're grasping the fact that most NASCAR fans like Daytona and Talladega. There is no "Super Speedway issue" except to a minority.
I would buy ticket to dega this year if they announced road course :) I kind of like plate racing too, but not for the racing, more for the unknown and the inevitable wrecks (which kind of puts me in the simpleton area of being a fan). But in the Chase I would much prefer a road course, skill should be a factor not luck.

Ummm 11 races in and the great yawners are already a full race ahead in points and looking like he not done , got them on the ground and gonna do a little head stomping til race 26. How fun would this be without the chase?
Not every championship chase is supposed to be fun. Plus, the points battle at the end of last year would've been closer without the Chase format. It wouldn't always work out that way, of course, but it shows you can have competition without a playoff.

I've never been a fan of the manufactured excitement of the Chase.

As far as switching up the venues, I don't think that there's a whole lot that can be done because of the weather related issues at running through late November. They aren't going to move races to tracks owned by anyone other than the current tracks that they run on and the ones currently part of the Chase are there because of the climate.

Not every championship chase is supposed to be fun. Plus, the points battle at the end of last year would've been closer without the Chase format. It wouldn't always work out that way, of course, but it shows you can have competition without a playoff.
True. But would you be watching NASCAR cup through a summer of activities if Jimmie (48 crew) were a whole race ahead by race 11? I know I sure wouldn't, actually I would probably only update myself to see if he faltered at all. As it goes right now, I make sure I am either home for Sunday or got the PVR set, which I don't like, I prefer live.

I think chase drivers should only race for points against each other. Max 17 points per chaser per race. Have the other drivers only gain points against each other too. It would make for a closer chase. And yes I wouldn't mind seeing different tracks every year that'd be interesting. Fan vote?

True. But would you be watching NASCAR cup through a summer of activities if Jimmie (48 crew) were a whole race ahead by race 11? I know I sure wouldn't, actually I would probably only update myself to see if he faltered at all. As it goes right now, I make sure I am either home for Sunday or got the PVR set, which I don't like, I prefer live.
Personally, yes. I did in years like '01 and '03 when Gordon and Kenseth got big leads by end of the first half of the season or earlier and never looked back. I'm sure fans older than I have too, like when Earnhardt had a big lead early in '87. I'm sure it varies by fan but I know I'd do as I always have.

Don't get rid of the chase. Just have chase drivers take a shot of Bacardi 151 at every pit stop to help create excitement. If that doesn't get good ratings, light the 151 on fire.

I think chase drivers should only race for points against each other. Max 17 points per chaser per race. Have the other drivers only gain points against each other too. It would make for a closer chase. And yes I wouldn't mind seeing different tracks every year that'd be interesting. Fan vote?
Would end up on whichever side Jr. is on.

Don't get rid of the chase. Just have chase drivers take a shot of Bacardi 151 at every pit stop to help create excitement. If that doesn't get good ratings, light the 151 on fire.
Best idea I've heard in a while, slipin and a slidin.

I'd like to see NASCAR have one date for a different track each year just to mix it up. But how many tracks could support a NASCAR race, maybe if it was made for TV deal.

I have an even better idea.
jet.gif
Let's expand the Chase to 36 races so every track hosts a Chase race and expand the Chase field to 43 drivers.

I sure would because the true excitement for me isn't in the chase for the season championship, it's in the competition among the drivers to win this week's race, that is, the race I'm watching right now.

From my understanding of how it used to be way back in the early days (1950's), drivers were more interested in race prize money than they were in picking up points towards a season championship.

Apparently, the season point standings were almost considered an after-thought from week to week as the monetary award for winning the championship didn't amount to a whole lot.

On top of that, most fans attending a race weren't aware of the current point standings as it just wasn't available to them. The fans did, however, know what was happending right in front of them on race day.

In an old fashioned sort of way, I find all of that kinda cool . . .

I'd like to see congress pass a damn law that says No More Changes In Nascar . We don't need no stinkin changes . No driver changes , no track chamges , no chase changes , no rule changes . It'd be okay if Bill Elliott and Sterling Marlin are allowed to start 1st and 2nd in the dinky exhibition race next weekend . But No Other Changes .

I'd like to see congress pass a damn law that says No More Changes In Nascar . We don't need no stinkin changes . No driver changes , no track chamges , no chase changes , no rule changes . It'd be okay if Bill Elliott and Sterling Marlin are allowed to start 1st and 2nd in the dinky exhibition race next weekend . But No Other Changes .

You must freak out every time the mint redesignes our currency.

6 Michigan and 4 Talladega lol

Dale Jr been crap at Talladega since DEI's restrictor plate program stopped being dominant.

This isn't a knock on Junior, I like him, but he never had the skill his father had at plate tracks. He was lucky enough to be at DEI during a period when their engine program was unbeatable at Daytona/Talladega.

This isn't a knock on Junior, I like him, but he never had the skill his father had at plate tracks.
To be fair though, nobody had the skill that his father had at plate tracks.

Anyone wanna guess where Jr. ranks on his finishes at restrictor plate tracks since his move away from DEI to Hendrick in 2008? I love generalizations.

Anyone wanna guess where Jr. ranks on his finishes at restrictor plate tracks since his move away from DEI to Hendrick in 2008? I love generalizations.

Oh, the old "Average Finish" arguement. Always good for a laugh.

If we got Dale Jr. in a bar and asked him if he was happy with his performance at Daytona and Talladega since going to Hendrick, he would say he was?

Oh, the old "Average Finish" arguement. Always good for a laugh.

If we got Dale Jr. in a bar and asked him if he was happy with his performance at Daytona and Talladega since going to Hendrick, he would say he was?
It's also an accurate representation of where he's finished. You may not like the results because it doesn't back the stance but it's there none the less. As far as him being happy about finishes since moving there I'm guessing that he'd say that he wasn't and that there's plenty of room for improvement. That's kind of obvious.

It's also an accurate representation of where he's finished. You may not like the results because it doesn't back the stance but it's there none the less. As far as him being happy about finishes since moving there I'm guessing that he'd say that he wasn't and that there's plenty of room for improvement. That's kind of obvious.

NASCAR isn't baseball. I don't think statistical metrics are a perfect indicator of performance. Especially at plate tracks where everybody's average finish is screwy because good cars can be taken out by big wrecks and crappy cars can win.

Dale Jr. was unbeatable at Talladega for three years. Now, he has no wins and an history of "pretty good" finishes. If you were going to pick a series of races in the Chase to give Dale Jr. an advantage, you'd have better luck putting Michigan in there than Talladega, which was my whole original point in my reply to SB.

NASCAR isn't baseball. I don't think statistical metrics are a perfect indicator of performance. Especially at plate tracks where everybody's average finish is screwy because good cars can be taken out by big wrecks and crappy cars can win.
I'll agree to disagree with you on the statistics. I think numbers are very telling of performance.

I don't know about Junior's rank since leaving DEI but my source indicates that he finished in the top ten in 10 of 22 (45%) plate races while driving the 88 car.

When he was in the 8 car he finished in the top ten in 18 of 32 (56%) plate races.

not too shabby in any case . . .

To be fair though, nobody had the skill that his father had at plate tracks.

I agree that back in the day , there weren't many people with the skill level Senior had at plate tracks . There weren't many drivers who could communicate with their crew chiefs ,the changes they needed to make the car faster . And there weren't many drivers with the road course skills needed to be competitive . Funny thing is , today , at least half the drivers in the field have all those skills.

Back
Top Bottom