Hey NASCAR... Give Us Some "Outside The Box" Thinking Please

LewTheShoe

Seeking Skill-based Meritocracy... More HP Less DF
Nascar is expected to announce later today how they plan to resume the 2020 season, according to Adam Stern and Bob Pockrass. Well, I for one am wondering if there is any way to get cars on track ASAP to offer racing action to a public that is starved for live sports action during the Coronavirus pandemic. I'm not a medical guy, and maybe I'm totally wrong to even bring this up... but it is an opportunity that deserves at least some thoughts.

Twenty cars on track for a one-day show (no spectators)? Twenty more the next week? Then a finale the third week for the top ten from each race? Or something else equally outrageous?

Professional Bull Riding (PBR) has announced they will compete in a controlled environment in Pueblo, CO the next two weeks... events newly created to fill some TV hours and keep the stakeholders employed. Is this crazy? I don't know. I applaud the effort... whether it works or not.

Any crazy "outside the box" thoughts out there?

Teams setup haulers in areas outside the track (no teams are in close proximity to one another), drive cars into track and race whatever a fuel or tire run is and exit back outside the track for time allotted pit stops. Do this for 3 or 4 runs and throw the checkered.

Great? definitely not, but you could get them all on the track together.

Perfect time for NASCAR to scrap the playoffs and run doubleheaders at all affected tracks that have two dates, and slot in the others during the summer break or on a weekday. Atlanta on a Wednesday night? Let's do it. If Martinsville gets postponed and they have to run a doubleheader in the fall? Put me down for a ticket.

Welp, sounds like Nascar wants to be aggressive to get all 36 races in, but not ready to run any races until *after* the pandemic surge has passed. Nascar's plan is to lay low for a while, and once sports events start up again, then be creative in terms of doubleheaders or midweek races, etc.

Maybe they have no choice. I'm no expert on medical issues. What kind of companies are going to be shut down for the duration? Clearly certain companies are essential to remain open, but if all other employers are expected to close, we'll have massive unemployment for a few months.

I wonder if factories with workforces are expected to close? If a factory making furniture or appliances can operate, why not Nascar (without fans in attendance)?

Perfect time for NASCAR to scrap the playoffs and run doubleheaders at all affected tracks that have two dates, and slot in the others during the summer break or on a weekday. Atlanta on a Wednesday night? Let's do it. If Martinsville gets postponed and they have to run a doubleheader in the fall? Put me down for a ticket.

Welp, sounds like Nascar wants to be aggressive to get all 36 races in, but not ready to run any races until *after* the pandemic surge has passed. Nascar's plan is to lay low for a while, and once sports events start up again, then be creative in terms of doubleheaders or midweek races, etc.

:cheers:

self driving cars'
fill kockpit with gas tank, no fall-off tires,
no pit stops needed

Arca type stops, except instruct the cars so that no two cars pit in adjoining stalls. Figure out how many crew are allowed 250 or less. Drivers meeting on the web.

Maybe they have no choice. I'm no expert on medical issues. What kind of companies are going to be shut down for the duration? Clearly certain companies are essential to remain open, but if all other employers are expected to close, we'll have massive unemployment for a few months.

I wonder if factories with workforces are expected to close? If a factory making furniture or appliances can operate, why not Nascar (without fans in attendance)?

In many if not most areas of the country, certainly most population centers, everything considered "non-essential" that is public facing will be ordered closed or heavily restricted over the course of the next 2-3 months. In terms of retail businesses, essential seems to mean grocery stores and pharmacies. In other words, the only operations that are allowed to remain open are the ones that if closed would cause greater calamity than the virus itself. Lack of available food and medicine would do that. If conditions were bad enough to demand mandatory in-home detention with no exceptions, the government would have to figure out how to deliver these supplies.

Side-note: when these types of closures occur, I don't see much mention of gas stations. Would gas stations be closed to restrict travel?

In terms of manufacturing and service industries, that will vary by region and severity of outbreaks. We're entering a war-time mindset. I would guess that most manufacturing that isn't targeted at supporting the 'war' effort itself will be ceased or heavily reduced during this time.

Yes, mass unemployment. The federal government is either going to have pay most Americans to sit at home in quarantine, or they're going to have to suspend mortgage, rent, and utility payments, and establish other emergency assistance for basic expenses. Either way, it's the federal government backing it all, as that's the only entity that can conceivably borrow and print money out of such a crisis.

Having said that, there is going to be no opening for anything considered entertainment under these conditions. Nothing that requires the gathering of an ever-shrinking number of people (we seem to be down to 10 now, not 25 or 50 or 250 as it was just a day or two ago). No TV or movie shoots as we've understood them, and no live sports.

Regarding NASCAR, anything that resembles a NASCAR race is completely untenable for the foreseeable future. Firstly, there will be heavy impediments to travel throughout the country very soon. I suppose if this were the sole issue, NASCAR could get "outside of the box" by congregating and racing in areas that haven't established such firm restrictions. However, they wouldn't be traveling from venue to venue that are on the existing schedule and making that work.

Secondly, the odds that someone we would consider to be important / essential personnel for a NASCAR Cup or Xfinity race not being infected with this coronavirus right now are slim, and those odds decrease with each passing day. For anything to open back up to allow for large-scale entertainment, the societal thinking on how infected people are treated would have to fundamentally change. Currently the standard protocol is to test (when available) a suspected case. If you have reason to believe that you came in contact with anyone who has tested positive, you are supposed to self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days and possibly be tested yourself. Think about how this creates a constant threat against any event. The moment one person tests positive, scores of others are taken out of commission immediately.

I don't see what would change that approach in the short-term.

This is awful. It looks dire for sports throughout 2020. I think we'll eventually reach a point where cases are in significant decline during summer months. However, threat of resurgence and new waves of infections when restrictions are loosened will remain present, and the government will have a shorter trigger to reinstate them the second time given the trauma after the first.

In terms of outside the box, for now, we're seeing high profile musicians stream concerts from their homes. It's just them and maybe a couple others playing. How does a sports league, let alone an auto racing series, do their version of that? I could see on-one-on basketball games between the biggest NBA stars, perhaps. Does that work on a race track? I don't know.

I'm bummed about what we're staring down at the moment, as I'm sure many are. I can see meaningful racing happening by mid- to late-summer, but I fear that it's going to be operating under that cloud mentioned that it could end again at any moment.

In many if not most areas of the country, certainly most population centers, everything considered "non-essential" that is public facing will be ordered closed or heavily restricted over the course of the next 2-3 months. In terms of retail businesses, essential seems to mean grocery stores and pharmacies. In other words, the only operations that are allowed to remain open are the ones that if closed would cause greater calamity than the virus itself. Lack of available food and medicine would do that. If conditions were bad enough to demand mandatory in-home detention with no exceptions, the government would have to figure out how to deliver these supplies.

Side-note: when these types of closures occur, I don't see much mention of gas stations. Would gas stations be closed to restrict travel?

In terms of manufacturing and service industries, that will vary by region and severity of outbreaks. We're entering a war-time mindset. I would guess that most manufacturing that isn't targeted at supporting the 'war' effort itself will be ceased or heavily reduced during this time.

Yes, mass unemployment. The federal government is either going to have pay most Americans to sit at home in quarantine, or they're going to have to suspend mortgage, rent, and utility payments, and establish other emergency assistance for basic expenses. Either way, it's the federal government backing it all, as that's the only entity that can conceivably borrow and print money out of such a crisis.

Having said that, there is going to be no opening for anything considered entertainment under these conditions. Nothing that requires the gathering of an ever-shrinking number of people (we seem to be down to 10 now, not 25 or 50 or 250 as it was just a day or two ago). No TV or movie shoots as we've understood them, and no live sports.

Regarding NASCAR, anything that resembles a NASCAR race is completely untenable for the foreseeable future. Firstly, there will be heavy impediments to travel throughout the country very soon. I suppose if this were the sole issue, NASCAR could get "outside of the box" by congregating and racing in areas that haven't established such firm restrictions. However, they wouldn't be traveling from venue to venue that are on the existing schedule and making that work.

Secondly, the odds that someone we would consider to be important / essential personnel for a NASCAR Cup or Xfinity race not being infected with this coronavirus right now are slim, and those odds decrease with each passing day. For anything to open back up to allow for large-scale entertainment, the societal thinking on how infected people are treated would have to fundamentally change. Currently the standard protocol is to test (when available) a suspected case. If you have reason to believe that you came in contact with anyone who has tested positive, you are supposed to self-isolate for a minimum of 14 days and possibly be tested yourself. Think about how this creates a constant threat against any event. The moment one person tests positive, scores of others are taken out of commission immediately.

This is awful. It looks dire for sports throughout 2020. I think we'll eventually reach a point where cases are in significant decline during summer months. However, threat of resurgence and new waves of infections when restrictions are loosened will remain present, and the government will have a shorter trigger to reinstate them the second time given the trauma after the first.

In terms of outside the box, for now, we're seeing high profile musicians stream concerts from their homes. It's just them and maybe a couple others playing. How does a sports league, let alone an auto racing series, do their version of that? I could see on-one-on basketball games between the biggest NBA stars, perhaps. Does that work on a race track? I don't know.

I'm bummed about what we're staring down at the moment, as I'm sure many are. I can see meaningful racing happening by mid- to late-summer, but I fear that it's going to be operating under that cloud mentioned that it could end again at any moment.
Perfectly stated! As far as gas stations, I foresee many closing and only allowing pay-at-the pump. The problem with this is many people still prefer paying in cash. Will we see a resurgence of pump attendants who can accept cash payments? I believe that is the best course of action.

The other business would be lodging (hotels). I envision many only allowing a maximum amount of bookings, and everyone who books possibly being required to be tested for the virus. Same with air, train, and bus travel if those are not completely shut down.

My employer has already stated that we are at risk of losing our jobs for a period of time and we will not receive paid leave. This will result in nearly all of us becoming at-risk for losing our homes, cars, and being unable to purchase necessities such as food and medical care. The government MUST do something to prevent a large portion of the population from essentially becoming homeless if they want to avoid something worse than the Great Depression. I've also asked my lenders if payments will be able to be postponed and/or wiped out if I get laid-off and they said it would be unlikely to happen.

Thanks for that very thoughtful post, @gnomesayin. You are describing an economy-wide situation that's more dire than I had expected when I wrote the OP. And you might be right, which obviously would leave no prospect for racing until after the surge passes. Oh well, maybe I'll make some progress on my "honeydew" list.

The situation is obviously very fluid. Last night I learned there's a rumor circulating among airline pilots that the feds will imminently shut down *all U.S. airports* for a period of time. This rumor was reported by a family friend who is a senior pilot for a major U.S. airline... and she heard the rumor from three different sources. It's a rumor... not a proven fact... but this rumor comes from well-placed insiders. Time will tell.

NASCAR will do their best to get in all races. A lot of sponsorship dollars are negotiated on the number of races and amount of exposure and nobody wants to write a refund check or miss a payment. They will have to get really creative and I believe this will be a blessing in disguise because they can try off the wall scheduling, sort of a test run and see how its received by the fans and not have to fear backlash because of the unique situation.

As far as gas stations, I foresee many closing and only allowing pay-at-the pump. The problem with this is many people still prefer paying in cash. Will we see a resurgence of pump attendants who can accept cash payments?
I doubt it. You'll see existing stations tell people to slide the money under the door, or add a door with a drop-slot. Some stations may have such a low percentage of cash sales, they may go pay-at-the-pump only.

... I believe this will be a blessing in disguise because they can try off the wall scheduling, sort of a test run and see how its received by the fans and not have to fear backlash because of the unique situation.
Yep. While they're committed to the specific tracks, they can get away with murder regarding when the races are run. Day, night, weekdays, double-headers, double up with IndyCar or IMSA (who also have scheduling problems); almost anything goes as far as the existing tracks on the 2020 schedule.

I do think the All-Star weekend will be the first sacrifice. I don't see how they'll jam a non-points race in.

The Cup series hasn’t run a race in December since 1971. Could happen this year depending on how far back they have to push the schedule.

Depending on how it goes you might need a WoO type schedule especially with some of the tracks already cancelled not far from each other. Like run Atlanta one day swing over to Talladega the next.

As far as gas stations, I foresee many closing and only allowing pay-at-the pump. The problem with this is many people still prefer paying in cash. Will we see a resurgence of pump attendants who can accept cash payments? I believe that is the best course of action.
We might see more pass-through windows (for paying a real person) like I've seen used in sketchier neighborhoods, particularly at night. A lot like a drive-through teller at a bank, although you walk up to it.

But I wonder what the reaction will be after more people realize that paper money carries more pass-around germs and chemicals than most anything else? Will attendants wear rubber gloves, and place money into sterilizers?

I'm wondering if we're going to see any sort of sporting events or just plain normalcy at all this entire year maybe even years to come. How the heck does a stock market losing almost a third of its value not tip us into some kind of economic depression? It's crazy what is happening and thinking about all these politicians talking nonchalant about closing "nonessential" jobs that's a LOT of people out of work. Unless they have not been being truthful about this virus this thing is being way overblown. They've closed down restaurants in many states and some truckers can't even get a hot meal when they stop for fuel. Lots of things been happening suddenly and on the fly that haven't been thought out. It's a really F'd up situation when you consider the fact these exact things started coming down the pike months ago in China this didn'tcome out of nowhere.

Maybe we need to contain COVID-19 talk to this Thread

I do think the All-Star weekend will be the first sacrifice. I don't see how they'll jam a non-points race in.
Thats a given at this point I would think, move it to the 600 weekend, plenty of time , Satruday night after the Xfinity race.

Back
Top Bottom