Hey Nascar How SAFER

T

toddgee24

anyone else think it would be a good idea to get a safer barrier at pocono in turn 1, cars carry alot of speed into that tight corner, if a driver was to be knocked out and a fire started, that woulnt be good

You know, I have to admit when I hear a good idea. DW, as nutty as he can be, made a comment about the inside walls off turn 1 being backed by dirt and how they were "soft". He's right. I wonder if that might be a good approach for exterior walls?.., with a little thought to maintenance and mid race repair?

:ph34r: Windsor you are right about that!!! Did you see how it took the impact of Green and shot him back!! It did help I think today!!! :dual9mm:

I was a little worried about how Gren was shot back when I saw it, but I still think there is something to be gained with that approach.

:ph34r: That sling shot wouldn't be good on the outside wall like you said but it is a step in the right direction!!! :dual9mm:

yeah, this is kinda nasty.

Attachments

• flip.jpg
    flip.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 12
Did anyone notice the opening in the gardrail when Jeff Green hit the inside barrier? I have watched the replays over and over and Jeff was about 10 feet at most away from nailing that opening. Sliding through the grass at roughly 125-150mph and nailing that opening would have caused some serious and I mean serious issues. I guess it is an opening that allows safety officials out on the track. If that is the case they need to look into pushing that one side of the opening back atleast 5 feet so that a car can not get caught on that.

I'd hope that if they do put some sort of SAFER barrier going into turn one that it does not cause a car to sling shot back onto the race track like Green's did.

i dont think the safer barrier shoots the car back across the track, actually i think that is one of the reasons they use the safer barrier cause it doesnt do that like tires, or styrofaom would

If my memory serves me right the barrier does not send cars back out into the track. A few time sit might , depending on the angle of the crash! I think it would be a good idea at Pocono as well. DW said it was very simialr to Indy! If they would add the safer barrier then I hope that would help convince the IRL to run there as well!

It would be nice to see some video testing of the soft walls. Who would be crazy enough to voulteer? ;) :eek:

Originally posted by Bucky Badger@Jun 9 2003, 08:01 AM
It would be nice to see some video testing of the soft walls. Who would be crazy enough to voulteer? ;) :eek:
me

The reason NASCAR is testing the safer barriers instead of using them right now is that they are worried that when the car hits the SAFER walls that the car would get stuck in the wall causing the car to stop immideatly. This would be more dangerous for the drivers. When NASCAR feals that the SAFER walls are safe to use you will see them on the track.

Back
Top Bottom