Homestead. The last lap. Bumper or no bumper?

dpkimmel2001

Team Owner
It's the last lap @ Homestead and two or more of the final four are battling for the win and the Championship. Do you use the bumper at all costs? Are you worried about respect in the future? Jimmie's got his share of trophies. Kyle's got one. Carl's been damn close & Joey wants one as well. What do you do?

Me..... Under this format, it may be the last chance you get to be in the final four. I say overdrive the corner and plow them out of the way for the win.

Carl already showed he's willing to put the bumper to Kyle for the win and this race means 100x more than Richmond. I suspect Kyle is more than willing to return the favor. Joey hit Kenseth last year in the chase so he's definitely not above it. The only one I see holding off is JJ because he's already got 6, which would be a mistake in my mind. This is for all the marbles, clean racing be damned.

I've never been a fan of wrecking someone for the win. Note: there is a difference between wrecking someone and using the chrome horn. If I were in 2nd place on the last lap and one of the other 3 drivers in championship contention were in the lead and right in front of me, I would try to give them a nudge and move them out of the groove. If that nudge resulted in them slamming into the wall, spinning out, or getting into another car, then I would do whatever it took to not win the race (and championship). I am one of the most competitive people you will ever meet but I'll be damned if I ever do something egregious to win at anything. The greatest competitors win by playing fair.

It's the last lap @ Homestead and two or more of the final four are battling for the win and the Championship. Do you use the bumper at all costs? Are you worried about respect in the future? Jimmie's got his share of trophies. Kyle's got one. Carl's been damn close & Joey wants one as well. What do you do?

Me..... Under this format, it may be the last chance you get to be in the final four. I say overdrive the corner and plow them out of the way for the win.

You called it. Win at all costs, you have a few months to apologize and enjoy the 5 million dollar bonus.

You gotta win the first championship clean. After that, beg borrow and steal to win them again.

Back when Newman and Harvick were going into the last restart a few years back at Homestead.
Newman was starting behind Harvick, Newman said after the race he thought of not lifting going into turn one and taking out Harvick.
but then rethought Harvick would not do it to him so he didn't

as a fan he should have dove in there
but I can see his point as a driver

The Chrome horn is as much a part of Nascar as V8 engines. Hell yeah I'm gonna use it. Not with the intent of wrecking, but if a driver can't deal with a little induced shimmy, he/she's got no business behind the wheel of a racecar in the first place.

Heck yeah I'm wrecking em

I agree with most here about the chrome horn, bump-and-run, or even a side-by-side slamfest like Ricky Craven/Kurt Busch at Darlington in 2003. But what about if the leader is faster, and your only way to get by is to hook him in his rear quarter panel and spin him into the wall. That is pure dirty driving, and I sincerely hope we don't go that far. I would not be OK with that.

Not of big fan of most bump and runs.
In many cases it would involve a late race caution, and allowing someone to forget their brakes and plow the car in front of them.
If they do have a GWC and somebody plows the dominant car, it will be a disgusting event imo. One that stinks like Brian France.

I prefer long duals, managing the tires, stalking the leader and working on a forcing a mistake or opening, verses just knocking someone out of the way.
I do love door to door, and rubbin is racing. (Reference the famous Ricky Craven /Kurt Busch finish at Darlington).

All 4 get into a tangle and DNF. Later all 4 are DQ'd by Nascar. Happy gets awarded the championship while Danica cruises for the win. She then takes me out for dinner and drinks..
Hey, it's my fantasy, go get your own!!

I agree with most here about the chrome horn, bump-and-run, or even a side-by-side slamfest like Ricky Craven/Kurt Busch at Darlington in 2003. But what about if the leader is faster, and your only way to get by is to hook him in his rear quarter panel and spin him into the wall. That is pure dirty driving, and I sincerely hope we don't go that far. I would not be OK with that.
If the leader is faster, you shouldn't be able to get to his bumper in the first place.

This format is completely stupid anyway so I would have no problems wrecking someone straight into a wall to take home the championship. Tough **** and give me my trophy.

Noodle em but don't run right through them, that's just not a Christian thing to do

If the leader is faster, you shouldn't be able to get to his bumper in the first place.

True but I would disagree on a GWC and I am mostly botherd when a car goes beyond its normal braking marks or zones to use the other car as a cushion.

But it is a subjective slippary slope. If we were to write essays on driver code they would all probably be different, even the logical ones.

Bottom line: A last lap close battle will be insane for this race. Hard to know what will happen, only sure somebody will be pisssed off if it is that close.

all you dale sr. haters can shut up now!!!

MOVE THEM!!!

but do it with class and style.

push them too hard into turn one so they can't hold their line. not hard enough to put'em in the wall. but hard enough they can't get to your back bumper entering turn three.

as a chase hater, I hope this action takes place for 15th to determine our champion.

while at the same time the television cameras miss tony's last or chase's first win.

but that's just me.

As for Homestead itself moving a car should be less justified. It isnt a one groove track.

A more likely case for Sunday would involve a pass underneath that is initially clean but goes wrong when trying to clear the passed car.
I like that scenario better than moving a car. The car that doing the pass will be taking the greater risk and exposed to getting clipped. Nothing is guaranteed and the following car that holds it ground will at least get some sheet metal damage. But still usually is in better shape than the car that wasn't clear or clipped.

Among the final four I expect it to be give and take for about the first 75 % of the race or until the last fuel/pit window. After that a pass that isn't clear within that group probably gets wrecked. Non contenders will be ecpected to do less taking and more giving against contenders regardless of the lap count. Probably warned in advance to be very forgiving around the four contenders at all times.

Back
Top Bottom