Honda Engine Development

N

NateDogg

This was from the BAR launch.

“Over the past three years we have had a difficult time since our return to F1 - we have not been satisfied with our performance and we want to do better. In 2003 we want to start the season competitively. The RA003E is more than 15kg lighter than last year's engine; it revs to more than 19,000rpm and the torque curve is improved, too. Our target is to get into a position to fight for the world title as soon as possible. In short, Honda is committed to B.A.R, to Formula 1 and to winning."

Last years Honda engine was the second heaviest one I believe. There rumours were talking about an engine that weighted more than 105 Kg. Now do the math, 105 - 15 = 90. That would take it in the same classs of the BMW-Ferrari-Ford-Merc in terms of weight. I have heard that last years engine had way too much steel in it and if they attempted to use any lighter materials it would spit its guts out. This years engine is a completly new design. but certainly I wouldn't be surprised if Honda made a 19000rpm engine. After all, they did it 35 years ago. Maybe now they don't have two teams to support they will be a little more focussed.

That is a serious diet. To lose 14% of the engine weight in an engine already light is pretty impressive.

To the uninitiated like myself, how does 19,000 RPM compare to the competition?

They usally don't give the exact figures, but as far as I know. Williams was over 18k, Ferrari and Mclaren were about just under 18k. Alltough 19k is impressive in its own, whats going to be impressive is the thing staying together.

From what I understood them to be saying during qualifying, reliability is a serious issure. Enough so that they have already begun running a somewhat detuned version this weekend.

They mentioned I think that they had 5 failures the first day.

well to straighten out the engine lingo. 19K rpm was first achieved by williams last year at italy when during qualifying, Montoya reved 19,050 rpm. This was in qualifying trim and wasnt turned in the race. As far as i know, none of the other teams have broke 19K besides now BAR. With the new qualifying rules thought they cant trim the car out for those stresses and so 19K isnt practical for the moment. with BAR as fast as they were during qualifying before reverting back two engine specs, i really hope they get that new engine some reliability so maybe they can stick it out with the big boys.

Now just to get rid of those bugs and they'll be amazing. Like I said in the other post I was more impressed with the speed of the BAR's and Jags then McLaren. I think we'll be seeing them winning in a few years for sure, which I think it great news! It was about time Honda got their act together.

You better hope Ferarri gets their act together...I think Schumi's car was held together with NASCAR duct tape. :)

God ol' duck tape! :D That's one of the things I love watching in V8's...body work coming off from a lil kiss...no worries mate...tape it up!!

Well i was also suprised that the jags, bar's and toyota's were so fast. It was really cool to see that many of the teams are now pretty competitive. Maybe ferrari isnt familiar with ducktape because they never have a use for it. First time in years that something happened to their precious F2002.

Yeah it is, I mean Wilson was in 9th at one time :eek: When they were in JPM's car did you see how the renault blasted away from mid corrner on? They might not the HP but they got that thing to turn.

Somebody translated this from German magazine Bild, It is Mercedes talking on their new engine.

"The engine swallows 60 litres the formula 1 gets ever more power. Engineers advance into always new capacity ranges. 930 HP when 19700 revolutions from only 3 litre capacity? that still applied before two years themselves with Mercedes experts as utopian. But the HP intoxication continues. The physical borders are apparently not yet reached. After BMW built two years long the strongest Formel-1-Motor, Mercedes strikes back now. The new aggregate (type: F0 110 N) weighs thereby under 90 Kilos. The new machine is economical in consumption. Insider estimate: approximately 60 litres of super plus lead free on 100 kilometers. 60 litres on 100 kilometers? and that should be economical?"

Didn't come out good, but you getthe main points.

Back
Top Bottom