How far?

10 Hours CT to Bristol annually for 3 years.

Most proud of driving to Seekonk Speedway in Mass 2-3 times a year.... that could be 3 hours with traffic each way... for a 1/4th mile circle lol.

Out in the middle of no where! They did have a great seafood restaurant a short drive away, cant remember the name of it but Don Arnold took us all out.

I flew from Salt Lake City a few years back to Boston. Definitely decent food up there and good Mod racing.

New Hampshire is an underrated race and venue on the schedule, would love to see NHMS get lights but the town doesn’t want it. Maybe NASCAR & SMI should look into shuttles at some races so I don’t need a rental car.

About 1,000 miles or so from central Florida to the first Truck race at Eldora in 2013.

1669434352213.png
26 hours straight drive.

In 1982 I talked my cousin into going to All American 400 in Nashville Tennessee. It was s 6 hour one way trip. We left on Saturday to see the Saturday heat races and the 400 on Sunday.

I drove my Dads old pickup and it was no power steering and three on a tree deal. I was kid and had never planned a trip prior to this trip using my own money to plan for the lodging etc....

The truck used a lot more gas than I ever expected on the way to the track. But we got there in time to see some of the heats. I remember it was the first time I got to see Alan Kulwicki race and win a heat in his #97 Firebird. I had read about Trickle, Senneker, Eddy and Mark Martin but I had never heard of this Kulwucki guy so that was really a cool thing to see.

After the heats we knew we were low on cash and we just went to a local McDonalds to eat. I revaluted our cash and I knew we didnt have money to stay and watch the Sunday race. We had already realized earlier that we would need to sleep in the truck to have enough to stay for the 400, but after some more thought we knew we couldnt even do that.

So we left to go back home in Greenville SC around 6 and 7pm on the same day or Saturday night. My cousin couldnt drive a stick so I knew I had to get us back home. I also knew that we were border line on having enough money for gas.

I coasted a lot going down the moutains to save on gas and scared the hell of my cousin a few times almost Chastained it a few times using as little breaking as possibile. We would not have made it otherwise.
Our pockets and the gas needle was on empty by the time we got home around 2am.

I called the track office at home later that Sunday afternoon and learned that Bob Senneker had won the 400.
Read about the full race details a few months later from the old Stock Car Racing magazine.

I have also been to Richmond (without any issues) which takes about the same amount of driving time.
I have been to all the tracks in the South from Richmond to Talladega. I have never been to Daytona or Homestead.

In 1982 I talked my cousin into going to All American 400 in Nashville Tennessee. It was s 6 hour one way trip. We left on Saturday to see the Saturday heat races and the 400 on Sunday.

I drove my Dads old pickup and it was no power steering and three on a tree deal. I was kid and had never planned a trip prior to this trip using my own money to plan for the lodging etc....

The truck used a lot more gas than I ever expected on the way to the track. But we got there in time to see some of the heats. I remember it was the first time I got to see Alan Kulwicki race and win a heat in his #97 Firebird. I had read about Trickle, Senneker, Eddy and Mark Martin but I had never heard of this Kulwucki guy so that was really a cool thing to see.

After the heats we knew we were low on cash and we just went to a local McDonalds to eat. I revaluted our cash and I knew we didnt have money to stay and watch the Sunday race. We had already realized earlier that we would need to sleep in the truck to have enough to stay for the 400, but after some more thought we knew we couldnt even do that.

So we left to go back home in Greenville SC around 6 and 7pm on the same day or Saturday night. My cousin couldnt drive a stick so I knew I had to get us back home. I also knew that we were border line on having enough money for gas.

I coasted a lot going down the moutains to save on gas and scared the hell of my cousin a few times almost Chastained it a few times using as little breaking as possibile. We would not have made it otherwise.
Our pockets and the gas needle was on empty by the time we got home around 2am.

I called the track office at home later that Sunday afternoon and learned that Bob Senneker had won the 400.
Read about the full race details a few months later from the old Stock Car Racing magazine.

I have also been to Richmond (without any issues) which takes about the same amount of driving time.
I have been to all the tracks in the South from Richmond to Talladega. I have never been to Daytona or Homestead.
Thanks for taking me on that ride with you. Brought back good memories.

Back
Top Bottom