How hot is it where you are?

A

abooja

I swear, I thought I'd dissolve into a puddle last night on the subway platform after the Springsteen concert. It's at least 15 degrees hotter down those tunnels, and I had a 35 minute wait. I think I lost 17 pounds...

Record heat wave settles over New York; high 98 degrees :kaioken:

By ERIN McCLAM
Associated Press Writer

August 13, 2002, 5:26 PM EDT

NEW YORK -- The city sweltered Tuesday in the grip of a stifling heat wave that broke records and strained power supplies as New Yorkers desperately cranked up air conditioners.

Forecasters offered little hope, predicting only a barely noticeable drop in daytime temperatures for the rest of the week.

In Central Park, the mercury reached 98 degrees at mid-afternoon, breaking the record of 96 set in 1988. The heat index, which accounts for humidity, soared as high as 102.

"When you get the heat from the cars and the subways that pass, that's when it's really nasty," said Deborah Wells, who spent her lunch break slouched in a shadow cast by a concrete statue near the park.

Along Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, workers in sweat-darkened shirts paused in front of stores with open doors, savoring the escaping air conditioning.

Consolidated Edison and the Long Island Power Authority issued heat alerts urging New Yorkers to conserve power. They suggested setting thermostats at 78 degrees and turning off idle appliances.

Con Ed said it expected peak demand of about 12,000 megawatts for the day, dangerously close to its 13,800-megawatt limit. The Long Island supplier expected peak demand of 4,850 megawatts and has a 5,576-megawatt limit.

The New York Power Authority activated an energy-saving plan that offered customers money in exchange for pledges to save power.

At 31st Street and Ninth Avenue in Manhattan, a burnt cable caused seven manhole covers to pop. Con Ed spokeswoman Brenda Perez said the utility was investigating whether heat caused the cable problem.

The National Weather Service said it expected the heat wave to hold for at least two more days, with high temperatures slightly cooler but still well into the 90s.

The only hope for relief was a cold front expected to sweep through by Friday. But meteorologist Peter Wichrowski said the system was relatively puny and probably would drop highs only into the upper 80s.

"We don't see any major relief in sight through the weekend," he said. "Once this moves through, it won't seem like a drastic change."

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wire/ny-...regional%2Dwire

Yeah man I feel it. Although i dont live in NYC, I live due west of you in Western NY. Today was another scorcher. Not really the temperature (which was about 90) but the humidity made it bad. I felt as if I needed to just go for a drive to get into my cars AC.

It only gets down to about 74 at night. The day starts hot and just gets hotter. We did have a cold snap today it only reached 90.:p I thought we were going to get some much needed rain, but it went around us. The clouds did cool us off some.

Actually, it was just barely above normal here today.......about 95 in the San Fernando Valley where I live. Now, Sunday was different.......over a hundred!! No where near record though!:D

One of the reasons I LOVE atlanta is the weather this week. Humidity less than 40% and even when in the 90's it's comphy. Besides, EVERYTHING except the walk to and from car is Air Conditioned.
COME ON DOWN :) PURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Fortunately, I work in an icebox/sensory deprivation chamber.

I usually only have to breathe in the slop for twenty minutes at a time, on my way to and from work. I refuse to spend any significant amount of time outdoors these days.

Not to mention, my "outdoors" involves mostly cement. :rolleyes:

it is very very very very hot here. my wife was complaining that her ac wasnt workin. isaid its workin honey, its just too hot to cool the air. now thats hot!:(

It's wierd that it can be hot as hades with high humidity where I used to live (RI) right now, but just wait.......... Labor Day will change the weather dramaticaly north of the Mason Dixon line.

Winter here is WONDERFUL!!!!!!!

Ohh, I hear ya guys, I hopped into my car from the park-n-ride bus today at 6:00 and it was 99 degrees! No fair for it to be this hot and daylight fading fast....

Blessedly, I invested in a used 10,000 btu wall air conditioner (that I installed myself). Keeps this would-be sweltering 1st floor apartment nice and crisp. :)

fuzzy.gif

Can't wait for autumn.

It's like high 90's here...too humid though. Can barely breathe.

Now ya'll know what we go through down here, but it last for 4 months. Ya'll will be back to normal in a few days.;)

Tabasco: Sorry that I never got to visit before the ex and I broke up, but thrilled to death that I don't have to live in your climate. He said, at LSU, a lot of the guys wore long sleeved white shirts even in the summertime, and that you'd have to shower again after walking across campus once.

No thanks!!! :nyanya:

It feels that hot here these days, but I know it's nothing compared to Louisiana. :)

Abooja,Do I need to take that buis.trip early,And bring you some ice cubes?I can catch a flight that would only take 3 1/2 hours,But it would take me 10 hours to clear the screening.:rolleyes: Maybe I should charter one,Can you split the diff?only 650.00:D :p

It isn't too hot up in the california mountions but I had to go to Bakersfield today. I drove my brothers 550hp car during to hottest part of the day. The car doesn't have air conditioning and I can't even roll down the windows because the headliner will fall down. Plus, his engine isn't the coldest thing in the world. My foot felt like it was just going to catch on fire. The heat from the engine goes right into the cabin of the car. I thought I was going to have blisters on my foot. Gave me a new persective on what the racecar drivers go through.

I lived in TX for 8 yrs and I LOVE the heat and humidity!!! Right now we're having TX weather in PA and I'm tickled pink while everyone else is having a fit!!! I'm cold natured and after living in IOWA for 5 yrs when I was younger, I welcome ANYTHING remotely close to warm!!!

Originally posted by pbunch
Abooja,Do I need to take that buis.trip early,And bring you some ice cubes?I can catch a flight that would only take 3 1/2 hours,But it would take me 10 hours to clear the screening.:rolleyes: Maybe I should charter one,Can you split the diff?only 650.00:D :p

Hmmm, $325.00 for Ohio ice cubes? Sounds entirely reasonable. Thanks for the offer! ;)

It's so hot here in Tennessee, that statue of Elvis down at Graceland took that leather jacket off and put on some shorts.

It's so hot, Dolly's a 32B.

It's so hot, Lee Greenwood changed the lyrics to "I'm proud to be an American, but at least I have AC."

It's so hot, Dale Jarrett offered to drive the big brown truck if Helton would let him keep the door open.

Wow TnWard,Elvis down there shuckin is threads,I bet the girls down there were,All shook up,umm,umm,yeaaa! All Shook Up:D

Something leads me to believe that pbunch is an avid Elvis fan......;)

Love Me Tender,You Hound Dog.I could have hung with him if I wanted to.:D

it was like 60 mornin then it was like 90 this afternoon how ghetto!!!

Back
Top Bottom