Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10 - 15 years

• More than 15 years

• Total voters

buckaroo

Here kitty, kitty, kitty
How long have you been a fan of NASCAR, and in particular, Winston Cup racing? From one of my other threads, 60% of those who voted, prefer Winston Cup racing over all other forms. I am now wondering how long have you been a fan of Winston Cup racing? I'm not counting the years when you were a child and didn't really know what you were watching/listening to. I'm talking about really getting into the sport. For myself, I really began to get into Winston Cup big back in l983. ESPN began to show Cup races live and it was just a natural for me.

The first race I ever watched was the 1997 Daytona 500, have been hooked ever since.

DirtyMo, not that you have miss any exciting racing, but those older days really had some great racing that we will never again see. Today, at the plate tracks, it pays to be in the lead, but 15 years ago, the leader felt like he was the eye of the bullseye. No one wanted to be in the lead going into the last lap. But of course, if you have Speed Channel, you can witness these old races.

I've been a Nascar fanatic since the '60s when Wide World of Sports
showed clips.

I have only been a fan for 4-5 years and regret not getting into is sooner. I watch the older races on Speed and the racing is just awesome! I became a fan of Winston Cup racing before any other type of racing. I now get into the late model racing and midget racing. I think this year I'll start paying attention to the IRL series because of what everybody else says about it.

i've been a fan since 99.
technically, i would only a fan for 2 years thought because i didn't become fully obsesed with nascar till the very end of the 2000 season.

Used to think auto racing was the most boring thing I ever watched! What mindless person would volunteer to drive in a circle for 3 or 4 hours. Then I sat down and watched, against my will, one night. It was a night race and some good action was going on. Wish I could remember the race, but I know Big E was in it and he won. I watched again next week and was hooked from then on! Now I understand what hubby was saying about the excitment of the race. Wish I had watched the earlier years but guess I'll catch them on the Speed channel. I won't know who wins so should be fun!

16 years(life) I am 16 and have never missed a race weither listing to it on the radio or watching it on tv

Originally posted by buckaroo
DirtyMo, not that you have miss any exciting racing, but those older days really had some great racing that we will never again see.  Today, at the plate tracks, it pays to be in the lead, but 15 years ago, the leader felt like he was the eye of the bullseye.  No one wanted to be in the lead going into the last lap.  But of course, if you have Speed Channel, you can witness these old races.

The speed channel is my favorite channel. I try and catch as many of those as I can.

I've been a fan for my whole life, my dad got me hooked when I was real young:)

Been a racing fan for over 40 years. Have a son who I tried to get interested in racing for many years. Tried taking him to the short tracks but that wasn't his thing. Yet, for some strange reason he is now a big fan. In fact I think he participates on this forum. If you read some of my long posts you just might catch some of his replies.

Racing is fun. Take the show for what it is, entertainment. Learn it, study it and remember, "respond to it in a sensible manner." Because us old farts have seen alot of "drivers" make laps of Sunday. When they had real glass in the windshield. No power steering. No cool suits. A single lap belt, not a five point harness connected to a custom built drivers seat. On the road for weeks at a time doing engines changes in the hotel parking lot. Yes they're are days before the motor home.

Freestyle, that reminds me of when I was just a wee lad back in the early 50's. My father co-owned an old Hudson Teraplane (#7) and had Jimmy Mears (Rick's father) drive it one year. I always went to the track and watched, but my idea of fun then was watching the Dare Devils. Growing up, the only race that I never missed was the Indy 500. Still that way today, but my interests have changed from those cars to the stock car scene mostly. After I got out of the Air Force, I began going to the Saturday night roundy rounds and when ESPN began showing the Cup races, I was really hooked. But those early, early years were fun for me. :)

!1965 ...first race was at Stafford when it was dirt, 2 years later it was paved and tehn the fun really started.

Ahhh the good old days....Freestyle those will never be here again, but man they were good memories and still bring a smile to my face when i think about them. Used to follow Gen Bergin from Stafford to Riverside to Thompson in 1 weekend....great stuff. Bebe Zalinski would re-build the old M-6 in 1 night after a total mess of an accident at Riverside and have it running in the the top 5 at Thompson in 12 hours. Those were the days when loyalty ,dedication, and driving all night to get to the next track was a way of life.

I watched it here and there back in the 80's. I then became hardcore and a loyal fan of DJ's back in 91 when he won his first race.

Wrenched an engine change (big block to small block) in the parking lot at Riverside(they had a small block only rule) with Jerry Cook on his way to yet another modified championship. Man for a teenager in the sixties was real cool. I later realized how much of a stroker Cook was, but it was still an experience I certainly haven't forgotten.

As I exited the womb, the attending physician was standing there holding a pit board.

I can't remember NOT liking racing. The first race I remember was a LMS at Kingsport Speedway in 1969. I was almost 3. After the 1976 Daytona 500, there was no redeeming me.

I remember watching the races and rooting for Richard "The King" Petty when my son was just a baby. He'll will soon be 19, so I've been a fan for quite a while.

Went to my first NASCAR Grand National race in 1958 in, (gasp) of all places, NEW JERSEY !!!!!! I was twenty-two years old at the time.

Started following Nascar in 1997, but have followed other forms of racing, like sprints, fo probably 10 years now.

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan
As I exited the womb, the attending physician was standing there holding a pit board.

What was written on it?

Sorry, couldn't resist. :D

I started following NASCAR in 1997.

Hey freestyle what town in Western Mass? I grew up in palmer moved to Otis in 93 then moved out here to Colorados Springs in 98.

1965, A weekend at Daytona for the Saturday Sportsman Modified (now Bush) 250 and Sunday for the Grand National Daytona 500. I had been going to small dirt tracks for several years prior, but since I only lived about 50 miles from Daytona I figured what the heck let's see what these big boys a like. Been hooked ever since. I can even remember when they used bumper jacks to change tires, a pit stop with fuel and tire change in less that a minute was unthinkable.

I grew up watchign my uncle race stock cars at the local track ever since I was a baby. I was in the stands at Anderson Speedway and Muncie Speedway(great track, now is returning back to the earth) when I was less that a year old. So I been a racing fan for all 20 years of my life. I went to my first race back in the late 80s(87 Ithink) at Michigan.

Originally posted by Alaska
What was written on it?

"2 diapers and formula" :D

Yes, 2 diapers....if yer gonna do a thing, do it right. :p

i am 17. i relly dont rember many races as a kid, tell 1992. i do rember Richard Pettys Last Race. so i will say i have been a fan for 10-15 years. :)

Went to Strickly stock @ 13 withn dad in 1958. Went to first Winston Cup race @ Rockingham in spring of 1965. Started covering races as freelance photographer @ Martinsville in 1975 and at Charlotte in 1978. Retired due to health problems in fall of 1997.

Dad bought a BUD satellite dish in early '80s and we use to find the uplinks from the tracks to watch. (no commercials)

I've been a fan since I was around 6, my dad was into Indy cars and stock cars so he got me hooked. so I have been watching since 1983, most of my life.

Watch Dale Earnhardt win the Daytona 500. Became an instant fan of DE and nascar.So I would say 4-5 years.

My dad took me to my first race in 1991 at dover downs. i have been glued since. what a great experience. wish dover stuck with asphalt:eek:

Been a fan since 1979, when my babysitters father got me interested.
Their whole family used to gather around the radio on Sundays and listen to the race on MRN.
At first I hated it, but since I had to be there, I figured I might as well start to root for someone.
We were listening to the Bristol race when Earnhardt won his first as a rookie and since no one in their family pulled for him, I figured I might as well. Been hooked ever since.

Back
Top Bottom