How long is too long.....

Bucky Badger

Go Kyle Go
The Mets and Cardinals played the longest game in the majors in 2 years. Jose Reyes' sacrifice fly in the 20th inning was the difference in New York's 2-1 victory. The game included 19 pitchers and lasted 6 hours, 53 minutes. Utilityman Joe Mather (0-1) became the first position player to lose a game since shortstop Josh Wilson for the San Diego Padres in an 18 inning game against the Arizona Diamondbacks last June 7, according to STATS LLC.

hehe, i would have liked to have seen that one. <g> how long is too long? when it's too dark (and no lights) or raining too hard to see. i can't think of any other way to determine the winner than playing it through until it ends.

hehe, i would have liked to have seen that one. <g> how long is too long? when it's too dark (and no lights) or raining too hard to see. i can't think of any other way to determine the winner than playing it through until it ends.

But scoreless for 18 innings.....YAWN

true but also you see how the managers handle the game. relief pitchers all used, possibly even a starter got a few innings, most likely all pitch hitters used. baseball is a game of strategy as well as hit, pitch and catch. some of those long low scoring games can actually be quite good. i'll agree most aren't though. <g>

I personally find it hilarious when utility players start pitching

Isn't ALL baseball boring? lol
Yeah, and some could laugh at Nascar fans that sit and watch cars run around in circles.

Sports are usually boring only to those that don't understand them.

slowneasy seems to understand baseball.

Good baseball is good baseball regardless how many innings they play.

I really like baseball. I wish it were played a little faster at times, i.e. batters taking forever to step back into the box and pitchers taking forever to actually throw the pitch. That being said, at least there seems to be less time waiting for this than we spend waiting for football teams to huddle and actually run another play.

I usually enjoy the strategy involved in baseball although changing pitchers every other batter in the later innings is pretty hard to keep interest through.

Most of you are too young to remember that in the days when baseball was king they always played doubleheaders on Sunday. When we would drive to pittsburgh to see the pirates play it was always on Sunday so we could see 2 games. It was worth the price of admission when Maz was the second baseman just to watch him in infield practice.

How many of you know what playing "pepper" is. Too bad they stopped it in baseball. Any of you remember Gus Bell, I seen him, in I think it was his first game in the majors, when he and Wally Westlake collided in right-center on a long fly ball by Stan Musial. Musial ended up with an inside-the-park home run. I can still name all the players on most of the Pirate teams through the early fifties through the 60's and even in the 70's.

Back
Top Bottom