How should NASCAR fix the plate races?

What's wrong with going down the straights like a cat doused in kerosine(sorry cat lovers, just a expression) then using the brakes to negociate the corners???

That would be interesting if nothing else you would get to see which drivers have talented left feet. We get to see that this weekend.

Sorry folks I just dont have a problem with any of the NASCAR racing we currently have. I beleive there's a decent balance between SuperSpeedway ( restrictor plate ) Speedway ( cookie cutters ) Short track ( Martinsville, Bristol, Richmond ) Flat tracks ( Loudon, Phoenix ) Weird tracks ( Pocono ) and lefty/rightys ( road courses ) and it showcases the talents of different drivers,crews,teams and manufactuars. I,m HAPPY :D

May have to take Phoenix out of the flat track category and put it in the Weird one???

my final (may:Dbe) comment on rp races:

jmo, but it seems that pure luck is far more important than skill, equipment, or strategy as compared to other races.

guess that's my biggest problem. i don't consider a lottery to be competition.

As far as Talladega goes.....

Stop the radio communication between the cars. Do any of you out there listen to the in-car radio all race long? Not just the selected crap that ESPN plays for you. I'm talking about with NASCAR.com's scanner feeds or DirecTV's dedicated channels. I don't know how they would be able to maintain that two by two stuff with the aid of the spotters alone. The communication between drivers is what makes that possible. I think it would be next to impossible for them to run like they do if you stopped the between car communication.

EFI is not going to do anything to change this type of racing as proved during last weeks EFI testing @ Talladega.

Bumpers lining up doesn't seem to matter. The Truck race showed us that. They are nowhere close to each other yet some were able to stay together.

Great idea. I knew something about how this racing has developed waas bothering me, and those dials with all them channels is a big part of the problem.

I like what Bobby Allison said "Get rid of the front and rear spoiler. Make them drive the car."

You know how I feel about that Moe. No more aero. Drive the car.

make them run a "crate motor" that produces about 600, 650 HP and throw the plates in the trash can.

This, back in the olden days they got rid of the big block engines and then they got rid ofthe restrictor plate. Well until the small blocks got faster than the old big blocks did.

Bobby's opinion reflects mine as well. Reduce downforce, reduce mechanical grip and give the drivers more horsepower by eliminating the restrictors.

The field will separate quickly as each car will have a different attitude and throttle off point when entering the turns.

No more pack. No more lottery. Just a test to see who has the best car and the biggest set of "steelies". (I guess that eliminates Miss Thang...)

Bobby's opinion reflects mine as well. Reduce downforce, reduce mechanical grip and give the drivers more horsepower by eliminating the restrictors.

The field will separate quickly as each car will have a different attitude and throttle off point when entering the turns.

No more pack. No more lottery. Just a test to see who has the best car and the biggest set of "steelies". (I guess that eliminates Miss Thang...)

That's what I'd like to see. A drag race down the straights and actual handling and talent needed in the corners.

That's what I'd like to see. A drag race down the straights and actual handling and talent needed in the corners.

I heard Burton say this wouldn't work. It would turn it into a race fans would not like.

Saw this elsewhere.....

Idea to break up 2-car tandems: Bumper modification to keep pusher safe distance from lead car, via outright fear.

x2_8f7c5ad

my final (may:Dbe) comment on rp races:

jmo, but it seems that pure luck is far more important than skill, equipment, or strategy as compared to other races.

guess that's my biggest problem. i don't consider a lottery to be competition.

Very well said. I have never seen another type of racing where luck was a bigger factor.

Chuck Norris doesn't need construction equipment to tear down Talladega's banking. Chuck Norris just looks at it and the banking cowers to 0* out of fear.

NASCAR looking for ways to limit two-car drafting: NASCAR is looking at further changes in order to reduce the amount of two-car drafting in time for the 2012 Daytona 500, sources close to the situation said Thursday. NASCAR has made two changes designed to affect drafting at Sunday's race at Talladega Superspeedway, enlarging the size of the restrictor plate hole to increase speed and adjusting the pop-off valve in the cooling system to increase the threat of overheating. However, the changes did not work as hoped and the two-car draft received harsh criticism from fans and caused controversy among teams. Sources close to the situation told ESPN one of the possible solutions is a smaller spoiler which teams experimented with during the final 45 minutes of last Thursday's fuel injection test at Talladega. Sources said driver feedback indicated the smaller spoiler made it harder to draft and harder to back up into the car pushing it. Robin Pemberton, NASCAR's vice president for competition, said during the Talladega fuel injection test that NASCAR is concerned about the apparent unhappiness of fans with the two-car tandem, "but you have to be careful because the cure can be way worse than the disease."(ESPN.com)(10-28-2011)

What do you mean by this statement? Racing at Bristol is better than ever since the change in the banking. Guess you just liked watching a wreckfest.

Yeah it's better than ever if you like having one guy lead 400 laps and no action what so ever.

Well, it looks like they aren't going to get that many cars @ Daytona for today's testing. Only seven cars have shown up. :( I thought that the idea was to test those new configurations to break up the 2-car tandem. It looks like they won't get all that much to work off of.

Well, it looks like they aren't going to get that many cars @ Daytona for today's testing. Only seven cars have shown up. :( I thought that the idea was to test those new configurations to break up the 2-car tandem. It looks like they won't get all that much to work off of.

Only 7 scheduled

Aerodynamic testing at Daytona TODAY: NASCAR Sprint Cup Series teams are scheduled to test at Daytona International Speedway in an effort to evaluate and prepare aerodynamic baseline packages for the January 12-14, 2012 Preseason Thunder Test at DIS. Testing is scheduled for Tuesday, Nov. 15th from 10 am - 5 pm/et. Teams scheduled to participate include: Hendrick Motorsports (two cars with drivers Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Aric Almirola); Roush Fenway Racing (two cars with drivers David Ragan and Marcos Ambrose); Joe Gibbs Racing (one car with driver Joey Logano), Michael Waltrip Racing (one car with driver Martin Truex Jr.), and NEMCO Motorsports (one car with driver Joe Nemechek). A section of the Oldfield Grandstands will be open free to the public with access available through the lobby of the Daytona International Speedway ticket office.(DIS)(11-11/15-2011)

And I agree

Back
Top Bottom