HS find what Robbie Gordon had too say!

No problem

ROBBY GORDON, NO. 31 CINGULAR WIRELESS CHEVY MONTE CARLO (20th): TOUGH EVENING; TAPPED JIMMIE JOHNSON, GOT TWO-LAP PENALTY: "I didn't mean to do it. I think when he went to make a gear shift I got into the back of him. The biggest thing is Jimmie could have prevented the whole thing. Normally the guys who are two laps down pull behind the guys that are one lap down to give them an opportunity to get their lap back first. That's kind of common courtesy. NASCARŠto be honest with you, I think it's a little bit two-sided. I didn't see Bobby Hamilton get a two-lap penalty when he turned me early in the race. I didn't see Dale Jr. get a two-lap penalty, so why did I get one?" TYPICAL BRISTOL? "I'm disappointed. We had a good car all night and should've finished on the lead lap, should've finished in the top five and they gave me a two-lap penalty. I think it's really b.s. I'm disappointed that they did that. I haven't seen that done in a long time. There's a lot of other guys that wrecked guys. I got spun out early in the race by Bobby Hamilton, I saw Junior spin out the 22 car. How many other guys spun out guys and none of those guys got two-lap penalties? I don't get it. I think they should have looked at the deal and really concentrated and thought about it really hard because Jimmie Johnson was two laps down at that point and he could have prevented the whole thing by getting out of the way and having common courtesy to do that. I know Jimmie's in a points championship race. I'm disappointed that he had to go laps down. Jimmie's a friend of mine. I know he's going to have other things to say about it and be really disappointed with me, but it is racing at Bristol. We had an opportunity to get our lap back and I didn't mean to turn Jimmie and it is what it is."

Jimmie didn't miss a shift, Robby spun him out and it looked like it was intentional.

Yup, Robbie is just covering up his tracks, and he knows it as much as we do...

It could have been unintentional, but the repeated pounding of Jimmie's rear bumper under caution makes it certainly appear intentional. It was also appeared to me that the outside line of cars was pretty much on the move and leaving JJ behind when the contact occurred. Might need to watch another replay and watch the other cars more closely, but that was my initial impression.

It is generally considered appropriate to allow cars one lap down to lead the inside line on restarts.

Should give JJ's side of the story also. His version remains the same as the on air interview pretty much.

Jimmie Johnson, No. 48 Lowe'S Chevrolet, Finished 34TH.

"Evidently he (Robby Gordon) wanted to restart in front of me and beat my back bumper off for a lap trying to get me to move out of the way and I'm trying to get my lap back, too. Coming to the green he has my rear wheels off the ground before we even took the green and dumped me before we even crossed the start finish line. I don't understand why. I got dropped kicked coming to the green; I don't understand why. I guess he's a lap down and he thought he deserved to restart in front of me because I was two laps down and I'd been racing the leaders trying to get my lap back. He beat my bumper cover off at two to go trying to get by and I wouldn't let him by. So when we came to take the green he had me sideways before we even took the green. He's trying to blame it on me missing a shift and it's just him never using his head."

Good points HS. Might be why Robbie was bumping on JJ before the restart took place. Maybe it was his way of saying that he thought JJ was out of place. But it didn't look too good on Robbie's part to be riding JJ's bumper during the caution and then spin him during the restart. He not only took out JJ, but he also took out Martin in his unhappiness about where JJ was on the restart. I think NASCAR had been watching Robbie all night. They had good reason IMO.

Right BTR, that should have been mentioned.

While the incident with JJ got most of the ink, Robbie had been a tad aggressive all night and so had caught NASCAR's attention. As a driver you do not want NASCAR's undivided attention for any reason!:D

You got that right HS. An experienced driver can sneak in and get it done without being noticed :)
But you're right, I do believe NASCAR's watchful eye had been on Robbie earlier in the night.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on Robbie, in fact I don't have a problem with Robbie. I think he has a lot of drive and determination but it seems to get shifted somehow when he's on the track. I don't think too many people on this board care too much for Robbie. He's really an alright guy. Just needs to get that drive and determination pointed in the right direction.

Robbie is a punk who should be racing the Trucks. He can't get towards the front unless he wipes someone out. Doesn't matter which track, it happens virtually every week.

BTW Robbie, I watched the whole race, there is no way in h_ll you were a top 5 car.

Back
Top Bottom