Hurricane Maria

Johali

Team Owner
Contributor
Here we go again. They're calling for it to be a Hurricane by 2 pm eastern today and a cat 2 by Tuesday and a cat 3 by Wednesday. It's projected to follow Irma's path through Friday at least. They're supposed to have some spaghetti models out later today.

15L_tracks_latest.png

The Caribbean Life show on HGTV where people shop for dream homes on Caribbean Islands doesn't look like such a good idea now.That show and the Fixer up couple from Waco,Texas are her favorite programs.

I don't want to place any bets on it, but the track is looking better for us in Florida right now than Irma's did.

Further up the Atlantic Coast, though...oh boy.

man it seems like i get an alert on my phone daily about a storm. Let's hope this one steers clear.

Early photos of Dominica coming in ... why do people in hurricane zones build with lumber?
humans have short memories. They will rebuild on a mud cliff in California or on a flood plain in New Orleans..and you don't know that?

MSNBC's been covering Hurricane Maria all morning. Damn, the same places that got destroyed by Irma.

At least the NHC thinks it'll miss the mainland.

Early photos of Dominica coming in ... why do people in hurricane zones build with lumber?

Don't confuse the people who vacation and buy second homes in the Caribbean with the people who are natives to the Caribbean. Most those people are extremely poor, and the infrastructure in those countries outside of the tourist areas is more akin to the United States in the early 1700s.

Don't confuse the people who vacation and buy second homes in the Caribbean with the people who are natives to the Caribbean. Most those people are extremely poor, and the infrastructure in those countries outside of the tourist areas is more akin to the United States in the early 1700s.

I'm pretty sure it costs as much it import 2x4s and drywall as it would cinderblock and mortar ... and I'm not seeing a whole lot of pine or spruce in the Caribbean for sawing their own lumber. Hell, even adobe would be far safer. They can certainly manage that cheap, can't they? I don't pretend to know or have seen these places in person ... frankly you couldn't pay me to go that far south. I'm speaking only of what I see in posted and reported pictures .... and that is of suburban neighbourhoods that look little different than what I'd see from my own roof top. After photos with punched out drywall, stick built walls and asphalt shingle roofs.

The resorts in the Caribbean are spectacular. But you do not want to leave the confines of the resort Same with resorts in Mexico.

Back
Top Bottom