Hurricane Milton

I rode out to the hunting camp Friday, small limbs and a sh!t ton on cabbage palm frons on the ground, 3.5 inches rain and we were missed by 1/4 mile by the largest and longest, traveled 70 miles on the ground, tornado in Florida history. We want have power at camp for a while as the Tornado destroyed a bunch of main transmission line from Clewiston to Lake Port then on to Brighton Seminole reservation.

I do feel lucky and blessed.

We got power back by the time we got home late Saturday afternoon. Under a water boil and no sewer service. All pumping stations on Manasota Key were down and a few other places where debris covered pumping station equipment. From Englewood Beach to Stump Pass I would guess none of those homes are rebuildable. Ones still standing have three feet of sand throughout.
Worse part is, after Hurricane Helene people had cleaned homes affected and bought new mattresses, etc.. Restaurants across from Englewood Beach had worked non-stop to get reopened and one had been open one day when Hurricane Milton came by.
We now have limited use of sewer meaning the old adage of, if it's yellow, let it mello, and if it's brown, flush it down, applies. Gives someone an entirely different perspective on the trials people in western North Carolina are feeling with nothing other than bottled water and no sewer service at all and prospects of getting service at least five or six months in the future, if that.
It will be a long, hard, road for those people.

Gives someone an entirely different perspective on the trials people in western North Carolina are feeling with nothing other than bottled water and no sewer service at all and prospects of getting service at least five or six months in the future, if that.
It's all relative.

A Weather Channel segment from FL on power restoration opened with a woman complaining she'd had no power for three days. It went on to explain why it takes time to restore - downed trees to clear, downed poles to replace, downed lines to remove and replace run, activating one substation at a time so no one gets electrocuted, etc.

The complaining woman was standing in clean clothes in front of an apparently undamaged home and yard, clean cars in the driveway. Lady, if your only problem is no power, get over yourself.

Back
Top Bottom