I just got a diagnosis. I have diabetes. [bummed]

DanicaFreak

2021 Big Gator winner <Green Monster>
I m pretty bummed that now I cant eat anything I used to like.

Any hints on what to cook?

I love steaks and BBQ sauce stirfrys

Welcome to a very unfortunate club. I cook a lot of stir fry, white meats. Ground Turkey is a good substitute for ground beef. Definitely watch the amount of bread with the carbs.

My wife has it and has adapted quite well, you can still eat stuff you like and you will discover new things as well.

Look into the " whole30 " program, eat good stuff without sugar and nasty additives. My daughter and wife both were on it and they ate like kings

Don't be too concerned Lisa I think they label just about anyone over 40 type 2 these days.

I just took the diagnosis and used it to get my ass in gear.

I was so out of shape. It was awful. Although, my inability to breath, at the time, might have been
Pulmonary edema rearing its ugly head.
I was 140 lbs away from where i need to weigh.

When i was in the ER last month, i was diagnosed with pulmonary edema.

The biggie though was, I was also diagnosed with pulmonary hypertension. The blood pressure meds I was on were not correct, hence I got so sick.

Sorry to hear that DF and my flippant response to Lisa wasn't intended to minimize the importance of the diagnosis. It's really a wake up call to start living a healthier lifestyle and one we should all be thinking about.....I more than anyone.

Sorry to hear that DF and my flippant response to Lisa wasn't intended to minimize the importance of the diagnosis. It's really a wake up call to start living a healthier lifestyle and one we should all be thinking about.....I more than anyone.

Thanks Clutch. I need to eat better this I know. I am not a teenage and cant eat like one

I'm so sorry I did my see this.

There are still lots of things you can have though.

Substitute other kinds of meat. I have tons of ideas that helped me.

You can still eat steaks which have no carbs but has lots of protein. Protein is good. Now barbecue sauce usually has a lot of sugar. Carbs/sugar not good.

I'm so sorry I did my see this.

There are still lots of things you can have though.

Substitute other kinds of meat. I have tons of ideas that helped me.

Any hints you have would be great!

I am seeing mariandes without sugar.....

so my blood sugars were 33
dr called my in early
I am a mix of type 1 and type 2
have two types of insulin
I have alot of ketones in my blood

33 sugar on one of them monitors

and it was so serious my dr called my in for an immediate appt

he says I have traits of type1, but I present as type 2

I have to take a long acting insulin and a short acting.

I also have to totally change my diet

I drink protein drinks. They have helped me so much, to lose weight.

Pure Protein drinks are 30 mg of protein and they taste really good. You can also get a powder to make drinks but be careful, some of the powders taste nasty.

so I have a meter now. I hate pricking ,y darn finger.

Lowest I havebeen in almost a week is 13 for sugar but dr is happy its not 33 and my ketones are only at 3 now....

Any hints you have would be great!

I am seeing mariandes without sugar.....

Don't pay any attention to the labels on the front, low fat, healthy choice, light etc is so much B.S. Look on the back and read total carbohydrates AND the serving size. Some are as small as a teaspoon, I ain't kidding. :D 8 potato chips is a serving size? The food makers for the most part can't hide from that. One example is light salad dressing. They have more carbs than regular salad dressing. Most yogurts are full of carbs and thought to be healthy....etc. Strawberries topped with whipped cream is a low carb sweet treat. The other hard part is that everybody reacts differently to different foods, so at first metering before you eat and then waiting two hours afterwords give you an idea of how your body reacts. Write it down and as time goes on you won't have to meter so much. You are done with Cokes, and Pepsi's and orange juice for the most part. I drink the heck out of sugar free soda though. Alcohol drinks are full of sugar also if you are a drinker.

I have a one touch meter that is blue tooth to my phone. Love that part. I add the inslin I take too. Right now I am 12 mol on lansing and 5 mol on apidia. take apida 4X a day every 4 hours with food. Laonsing is the long acting take that 1 time a day.

As for food, I need to lose weight anyway, so I am just going all healthy. almonds for snacks although Iate entire big bag of chips last night... :(

cucumbers cheeses, wraps etc bread has a ton of sugar

I am finding the life change a bit easier knowing i need to lose weight anyway. I also used to skip a ton of meals so I know I cant anymore.

yeah pop/soda is basically a can of sugar. I know i am done with those. I will miss my dr pepper

getting rid of sugared drinks will give you the best drop out of anything by far. At least in my case it did. I don't miss them, took a bit to get used to sugar free, but it is a great substitute. I was never heavy but I've heard losing weight helps a bunch too. I have been trying to get on the needle for a couple of years for better control. I've been to two docs and they both won't do it. My numbers aren't that great IMO, I guess I look too healthy for them..I don't get it. Our health care system in the U.S. could probably keep the podium section busy for years.

getting rid of sugared drinks will give you the best drop out of anything by far. At least in my case it did. I don't miss them, took a bit to get used to sugar free, but it is a great substitute. I was never heavy but I've heard losing weight helps a bunch too. I have been trying to get on the needle for a couple of years for better control. I've been to two docs and they both won't do it. My numbers aren't that great IMO, I guess I look too healthy for them..I don't get it. Our health care system in the U.S. could probably keep the podium section busy for years.

I hate the needle....I would kill for metformin. but my doc thinks im a serious enough case that I need the needle

you might be able to get away from it, just starting out and all, you might be able to get better control. I can look at a bag of chips and have high numbers, I've been a type two for quite awhile. Don't think taking the meds and continuing to eat the same is going to work very well would be my advice. Face it head on and take it serious because in most cases it doesn't get better over time. Make changes and pay attention to the results, sure you are going to screw up and some foods will be hard to resist. Most people are addicted to carbs, the food people figured that out a long time ago.

Get rid of white foods. Potatoes, rice, bread, cereal, things like that,
I cheat on those but since your diabetes is more serious than mine, be careful.

Get rid of white foods. Potatoes, rice, bread, cereal, things like that,
I cheat on those but since your diabetes is more serious than mine, be careful.

Cheerios is the lowest I have found and white bread only one piece for breakfast, I also have a half of a potato once in a while. I cheat. :) Eating in the morn one can burn a lot of it off if you have a busy day though. At least I tell myself that.

Cheerios is the lowest I have found and white bread only one piece for breakfast, I also have a half of a potato once in a while. I cheat. :) Eating in the morn one can burn a lot of it off if you have a busy day though. At least I tell myself that.

Iove me some cheerios.

Back
Top Bottom