i miss nascar winston cup scene

jayandtim

Jackman
Bq8FlztCEAApt2c.jpg

04aa2c352e2bafcaafc3aa7e569750cd.jpg

nothing more enjoyable than coming home on a wednesday from school, and then that trned into work and reading one of these babies

i understand why they went out of business but damn these were good times

People want "old school" back but put blinders on to the total lack of driver safety & the races were far less entertaining as a whole. Only want to remember 'pass in the grass' moments but not how there were just 10 cars on the lead lap or the winner would have the field lapped by halfway.

Everything pre 9/11 is nostalgic fools gold.

Just remembered his name, Joe Whitlock, loved reading his columns. His demons got the best of him. RIP Joe.

People want "old school" back but put blinders on to the total lack of driver safety & the races were far less entertaining as a whole. Only want to remember 'pass in the grass' moments but not how there were just 10 cars on the lead lap or the winner would have the field lapped by halfway.

That's a bit of a blanket statement, but there were plenty of stinkers in "the good old days" for sure.

In the 30+ years I've been following NASCAR, I think the era between about 2000-2006 had the best racing. The cars were ugly af during that time, but they made some great racing.

That's a bit of a blanket statement, but there were plenty of stinkers in "the good old days" for sure.

In the 30+ years I've been following NASCAR, I think the era between about 2000-2006 had the best racing. The cars were ugly af during that time, but they made some great racing.
Agreed

I've still got a couple stacks of Winston Cup Scene from 1991-1995. I still read them often(ok, you're right, I look at the pictures).

I disagree . . .

Had a few issue of Winston Cup Scene but had a ton of Stock Car Racing. Anyone here use that use to buy Circle Track? Lol had a decent amount of them as well.

Just remembered his name, Joe Whitlock, loved reading his columns. His demons got the best of him. RIP Joe.
amen. always enjoyed reading his columns. his seat gap column was my favorite. would always renew at dover and get some give away.

I dunno, Elliott made the 80's pretty exciting.

because you didn't witness it, doesn't make fools gold. what you are seeing today is fools gold trying to be what it was when the stands were full of fans.

because you didn't witness it, doesn't make fools gold. what you are seeing today is fools gold trying to be what it was when the stands were full of fans.
Youre right, I cant watch races & even full seasons from before I was born. This silly youtube thing is time restricted! :sarcasm:

I subscribed to Winston Cup Scene and Stock Car Racing...... thoroughly enjoyed them both..... also Circle Track....... but.... the advent of the internet has pretty much put the kabosh to everything printed...

Reactions: Bob
Youre right, I cant watch races & even full seasons from before I was born. This silly youtube thing is time restricted! :sarcasm:
yes you can do u-tube, but you can't go sit in the stands. do you even go to any races?

yes you can do u-tube, but you can't go sit in the stands. do you even go to any races?
Ive been to a handful of races in my short lifetime. I have much more pertinent financial and social obligations than attending nascar races, now. Are you offering tickets?

My dad and I had a subscription when I was a kid. I'm sure most of them were discarded, but I found one in a box when I moved. It was during Harry Gant's 4 September wins in 1991.

My dad and I had a subscription when I was a kid. I'm sure most of them were discarded, but I found one in a box when I moved. It was during Harry Gant's 4 September wins in 1991.
I was rooting for Harry so much to get that number 5....... but his brakes gave out at the very end at Martinsville and Sr. won...... ole High line Harry made a tremendous run......... he is in a very elite class...... few have done it........

I was rooting for Harry so much to get that number 5....... but his brakes gave out at the very end at Martinsville and Sr. won...... ole High line Harry made a tremendous run......... he is in a very elite class...... few have done it........

I was born in '86, and one of my earliest memories of NASCAR was Harry's win steak. Good times, good memories

Did you ever read Stock Car Racing Magazine? I doubt that you did. It was a great insightful. magazine with incredible writers.
10 cars on the lead crap reveals just how little you know about SCR. It was a great magazine that covered all types of ovals.

I never got to see Richie Evans race or a lot of great drivers he raced against. But SCR filled my imagination about who Bugsy Stevens, and Fred Desario were. About Supermodifieds and Jimmy Shampine They covered the ASA and introduced me to drivers like a 16 y/o Mark Martin, Alan Kulwicki, Bob Senneker etc the list goes on and on.

I dont give a damn if that makes me a sentimental old sap, it was great stuff and I feel rich for the memories.

Bq8FlztCEAApt2c.jpg

04aa2c352e2bafcaafc3aa7e569750cd.jpg

nothing more enjoyable than coming home on a wednesday from school, and then that trned into work and reading one of these babies

i understand why they went out of business but damn these were good times

It was a great mag for sure. I always looked forward to Thursday when it would arrive in the mail. I still have two copies buried somewhere in storage from when Spencer won at Daytona and Dega in 94.:lol2:

Boom. 2000-2006 was the best era for racing. It was the Tony Stewart show

Back
Top Bottom