I think it's too soon....

P

PenskeGirl

I got this article on espn.com
http://espn.go.com/rpm/irl/2002/1101/1454235.html

Friday, November 1

A new Foyt joins IRL
Associated Press

INDIANAPOLIS -- A.J. Foyt IV will drive for his grandfather's racing team at the Indianapolis 500 and in the Indy Racing League in 2003.

The 18-year-old Foyt, who won the IRL Infiniti Pro Series championship this season, will join Airton Dare on a team owned by four-time Indy 500 winner A.J. Foyt.

Foyt, who won four Pro Series races, passed the IRL rookie test Thursday at Texas Motor Speedway with an unofficial top speed of 215 mph.

"It is going to be the toughest year in the IRL with all these different teams coming in, plus with all the same teams coming back that are tough,'' the younger Foyt said. "I am up for the challenge, though.''

Foyt also was the right-front tire changer on Dare's car this past IRL season.

The elder Foyt, who last raced in 1992, believes his grandson is ready for the IRL.

"I started young; he's young. I am sitting on him pretty tight and holding him down,'' he said. "But we will just go from there. He has a pretty good head on his shoulders. So far, he has done everything we have told him.''

Three-time Indy winner Johnny Rutherford supervised Foyt's driving.

"He has a lot of ability and is very cool,'' Rutherford said. "He goes out there and does the job with a great teacher in his granddad."

Back
Top Bottom