I wonder

E

EatMorePossum

Just got to thinking about something.

The official distance of each track on the circuit is measured five feet from the outside wall.

Does this mean that any track that has installed safer barriers is now shorter, thus needing to add laps to make the official distance?

I need to quit thinking so much...

I would think that several of these tracks official distance will be remeasured at some point with the ditance being decreased.

Hmmmm, upon pondering the question, Kat says "outside wall"...."safer Barriers"

NAW, outside wall is what counts ;)

I always thought it was at the centerline? Maybe I'm dumb or is that dumber?

I'm with Lappy, I thought it was measured from the inside line.

Five feet from the outside wall. Trust me. Always has been at least, maybe Brian France updated that for us too.

Originally posted by EatMorePossum@Mar 17 2004, 04:38 PM
Five feet from the outside wall. Trust me. Always has been at least, maybe Brian France updated that for us too.
That's always a possibility, EMP. He's already made some bone-headed changes, why not jack with that one too! :lol:

I know I read it was 15 feet from the outside wall... Regardless, it is measured fromt he outside wall...

Someone will figure it out. Besides the SAFER barriers are only in the corners! Time for 97 to get out his trusty calculator and play with some number for us............so we can get the laps right!! :cheers:

Originally posted by EatMorePossum@Mar 17 2004, 06:38 PM
EMP,Ur correct,it is measured 5 feet from the outside wall,I'd believe that the outside wall is the operative word here,thus the safer wall would be of no consequence in measured track distance,even though less usable width of track will force the drivers to make laps in slightly different lines than before and make shorter turns and etc.
In another somewhat realated developement,take the Homestead-Miami track that had the 18-20 degree variable banking installed prior to last season's race,I thought sure that it would affect the measured race distance and/or lap totals,but I found no mention of new distances or lap totals. ;)

Fox Sports

"We're going to have to remeasure all the tracks where we've put in the SAFER wall," says Jim Hunter, V.P. of corporate communications. "I don't have any idea how it will affect it, but I'm sure it will affect it to some degree."

----------------

It's a Lee Spencer article, so not sure you can bank on it ;)

Originally posted by TonyB@Mar 24 2004, 08:50 AM
Fox Sports

"We're going to have to remeasure all the tracks where we've put in the SAFER wall," says Jim Hunter, V.P. of corporate communications. "I don't have any idea how it will affect it, but I'm sure it will affect it to some degree."

----------------

It's a Lee Spencer article, so not sure you can bank on it ;)
If that's the case,then why dont They remeasure each different track,that has a newly installed safer wall system installed,before the first official race is even ran on the new configuration then?In the meantime the fans are getting short-changed on the mileage in these races,over so many events in a season a few tenths of a mile here and there could add up to some serious racing mileage that the fans are robbed of IMHO ;)

Originally posted by 24thunder+Mar 18 2004, 12:56 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (24thunder @ Mar 18 2004, 12:56 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--EatMorePossum@Mar 17 2004, 06:38 PM
Five feet from the outside wall.  Trust me.  Always has been at least, maybe Brian France updated that for us too.
EMP,Ur correct,it is measured 5 feet from the outside wall,I'd believe that the outside wall is the operative word here,thus the safer wall would be of no consequence in measured track distance,even though less usable width of track will force the drivers to make laps in slightly different lines than before and make shorter turns and etc.
In another somewhat realated developement,take the Homestead-Miami track that had the 18-20 degree variable banking installed prior to last season's race,I thought sure that it would affect the measured race distance and/or lap totals,but I found no mention of new distances or lap totals. ;) [/b][/quote]

The way NASCAR determines the official size of a track is to measure fifteen (15) feet from the outside wall and the system for measuring has not changed.

The safety barrier is included in the fifteen foot distance. Thus, Darlington is still the same distance officially as it was before the installation of the safer barrier when in reality, there is thirty (30) inches less in overall racing surface where the barrier is installed.

According to my souces of this information, there are no plans to reconfigure the way track distances are measured on facilities using the safer barrier.

;) I've seen Jayski's list 5 feet from the outside wall for measuring purposes,can't reacall where,but I've seen several sites list 5 feet from the outside wall to measure distance?

Originally posted by 24thunder@Mar 26 2004, 02:02 AM
;) I've seen Jayski's list 5 feet from the outside wall for measuring purposes,can't reacall where,but I've seen several sites list 5 feet from the outside wall to measure distance?

I beg to differ, but NASCAR measures the distance of a race track fifteen feet inward from the outside wall.

24thunder, please note on this thread where you found the information on Jayski's so I might check it out, because,

If.................................Jayski's has posted the way NASCAR determines the length of a race track by measuring five (5) feet in from the outside wall, that website is posting incorrect information and should be notified of the error.

Back
Top Bottom