I would pay no attntion to NASCAR if....

R

racerx11

there was a true Stock Car racing series out their, besides all the road racing series.

...they go back to some of their previous policies, when only a Chevy had a chance to win. (Footnote: I did ignore the sport for years)

Nothing wrong with road courses.........but I happen to perfer ovals.:)

Yeah, but he wants real stock racing...but then dismisses every stock car racing series. Just wondering why he dimisses them if he wants to watch stock car racing.

I don't know, Paul.........bet he watches Sonoma (Infinum?) and Watkins Glen anyway!!:D

The best entertainment the wife and I get from late April through early August is our local racing. Every Saturday night, you will find the two of us a the track, even when it is a night race in the Cup series. There, you can find the real emotions allowed to run wild, at least to a point, and rubbing is real rubbing. Big time NASCAR has become the same as CART and F1, and that is big time. When you are talking about the kind of money that is involved, the technology, and everything else, racing isn't what's important. It's where you end up at the end of the year that counts. Just like the stick and ball sports, the early games can be won or lost without a smile or smirk. So are the early races in the big times, but at the local track, each and every race has the drivers out there scratching a pawing for everything they can get. It's all in what you get used to. I love local racing.

They made the Fords run "390" carbs while everybody else ran "750s" or just added 200 lbs to the Fords just for the hell of it. Worked once. It'll work again.

Originally posted by TN-Ward-Fan
...they go back to some of their previous policies, when only a Chevy had a chance to win.  (Footnote:  I did ignore the sport for years)

What era was this?

Originally posted by fergy1370
What era was this?

I was wondering the same thing, fergie.:) All I can guess is it must have somewhere in the eighties, thru the first half of the nineties!:D

what would a True "Stock Car" series consist of??

under powered V6 front wheel drive cars with 4 speed automatic trannys??

Boy that would be fun to watch!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dr Feelgood
what would a True "Stock Car" series consist of??

under powered V6 front wheel drive cars with 4 speed automatic trannys??

Boy that would be fun to watch!!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Remember Stock Car Racing started off in little bull rings and fairgrounds with old flathead engines with less than 100 hp. If it runs you can race it. If you race it, it can be fun.

"Remember Stock Car Racing started off in little bull rings and fairgrounds with old flathead engines with less than 100 hp. If it runs you can race it. If you race it, it can be fun."

...and i spend a good many of my summer weekends attending races at tracks such as you mentioned. I guess that is why I like the nascar parade, cuz I don't look to get my racin' fix through Nascar. Nascar went from being a racin' series to being a motorsports entertainment series around 1987.

run them stock
put a few dirt tracks in there

and thats racing.

seames to the Mr.France has ford blood running in his veines

if they run stock the chave and pontiac would win IMO

Originally posted by Dr Feelgood
what would a True "Stock Car" series consist of?? under powered V6

The first NASCAR event I attended was back in 93 when the Busch Series went to Milwaukee. Then, they were still running the V6's and the noise was tremendous, believe it or not.

Take a true stock car. Run it for 500 miles and it will be toast at 100 miles.

Originally posted by fergy1370
What era was this?

The 70s. It pretty much shut down the Ford teams. Oh, "Ford was out then", you say. Wouldn't you leave given the same parameters?

Let's see, Big Block era the Chevy canted valve got to run the weight break of the wedge motors....fast forward to the small block era... the canted valve Ford, design according to existing rules all of a sudden carries the weight penalty of a Hemi???? OK, when Ford came back in a couple years later the Fords were allowed to run the same weight, BUT had to run a much smaller carb?

Do you think that hurt the Ford teams? Ever wonder why some of the Ford teams only ran selected races? Imagine pulling out of turn 4 at Martinsville with a carb half the size of the fella next to you, or pulling an extra 200 lbs...guess who is going to get to the finish line first?

Any wonder why the Ford teams lacked experience at the short and flat tracks even into the 80s when things began to even out?...they gave up a decade at these tracks...

I can't speak for the Mopar perspective, but can give a few more insights from the Ford perspective.

There was no television coverage that was "free" or included in regular satellite/cable programming.

If this sport goes exclusively Pay-per-view it will end my support.

Kel

I'm not sure anything would make me stop watching it. But, everything is cyclical. Sometimes I watch every lap on the edge of my seat. Sometimes I flip over to the race only during commercials of the Browns game I am watching.

If Toyota or Honda won a championship, if I could'nt pronounce the drivers names, if I had to buy a $2,000 airline ticket to go to a race! :bleh:

Local tracks is where its at! Dirt in your face....... ahhh, there's nothing like it. I just wear goggles!

Back
Top Bottom