I'd like to take this opportunity to thank NASCAR...

D

Digger

... for running the Southern 500 and just about every other race on Saturday Nights. :)

Their actions in scheduling every other race for Saturday Nights completely killed the car count and the spectator count but it also killed the car count. Our regional teams seem to think people aren't going to come to the local tracks when the NASCAR races are on, so they've decided it's not worth it to show up. Turns out, they're on to something.
jet.gif

There weren't even half as many spectators at tonight's race as there were a couple weeks ago.

But the part that really caught my attention were the ads on the radio and the TV for "NASCAR Home Tracks" during the Southern 500. Most "NASCAR Home Tracks" run on Saturday Nights, the same night as a good fraction of the Sprint Cup races are running.
killingme.gif
That's funny. :D

But, the tipping point came tonight. :)

I've asked NASCAR for permission to broadcast one of the races, either over internet radio or tape delay television. They told us we can't. So, not only are they using television to kill our local tracks, they won't let us use television or radio to promote the tracks and promote the drivers.

It turns out, upon looking tonight, they haven't even posted the national "Whelen All American Series" point standings online yet. In fact, they don't even run reports and releases from every track -- just what Turner feels like covering. :rolleyes:

So, thank you NASCAR for giving our track, our drivers and sponsors, and our local race teams the direct screw job. They all really appreciate it. :)

:sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm: :sarcasm:

Yeah, it's probably why the crowd was so bad at the ARCA race at Kentucky. Gotta watch Junior, no Junior at ARCA. Fans should know that its better to go see a live race than a Cup race on TV.

I'm usually at a race on Saturdays so I always have to watch a recording, would be nice to have it on sundays.

Yeah, it's probably why the crowd was so bad at the ARCA race at Kentucky. Gotta watch Junior, no Junior at ARCA. Fans should know that its better to go see a live race than a Cup race on TV.

I'm usually at a race on Saturdays so I always have to watch a recording, would be nice to have it on sundays.
A lot of Junyer fans aren't real fans. They only care about Junyer, not about racing.

A lot of Junyer fans aren't real fans. They only care about Junyer, not about racing.

Yeah, I went to high school with a kid like that. Just obsessed with Junior, wouldn't go to a race if junior isn't in it. He lived really near Mansfield but never had any desire to go to the truck or USAR races. Not a real race fan.

Yeah, I went to high school with a kid like that. Just obsessed with Junior, wouldn't go to a race if junior isn't in it. He lived really near Mansfield but never had any desire to go to the truck or USAR races. Not a real race fan.
Real race fans don't watch Sprint Cup -- they're at their local racetrack :beerbang::beerbang::beerbang::beerbang:

I don't go to my local track at all. I don't live in the Toledo anymore, the closest track to me is Lorain. I've been there once for an ASA late model race. Most local racing I see opening for bigger stuff is crap, wreckfests. I do go to smaller tracks most weekends though, just for the bigger stuff like Canadian Tire Series, ARCA, NASCAR East/West, World of Outlaws late models.

I don't go to my local track at all. I don't live in the Toledo anymore, the closest track to me is Lorain. I've been there once for an ASA late model race. Most local racing I see opening for bigger stuff is crap, wreckfests. I do go to smaller tracks most weekends though, just for the bigger stuff like Canadian Tire Series, ARCA, NASCAR East/West, World of Outlaws late models.

VMS to you is like Toledo for me -- way too far away. You must really like driving. :eek:

VMS to you is like Toledo for me -- way too far away. You must really like driving. :eek:

It's a small world, really doesn't take that long to get anywhere. I'd love to get out to California and western Canada for some races but can't afford that yet.

Back
Top Bottom