If it seems like I've been angrier than before...

Andy, a friend's son joined the USMC last fall and just got sent to The Stan. He works on generators and will do seven months there, 11 months home. Not everyone goes out beyond the wire...

I'm not saying join the USMC, but look at other services. Check out the Air Force (not saying that to demean them) since you are into computers and journalism.

But for God's sakes....you are a grown man. Make some decisions for yourself. If you decide to stay were you are, take a year off from school and work all you can. Make some money then make a decision on what you want to do. If you are going to stay where you are and do what you are doing, you aren't going to go anywhere.

Andy, a friend's son joined the USMC last fall and just got sent to The Stan. He works on generators and will do seven months there, 11 months home. Not everyone goes out beyond the wire...

I'm not saying join the USMC, but look at other services. Check out the Air Force (not saying that to demean them) since you are into computers and journalism.

But for God's sakes....you are a grown man. Make some decisions for yourself. If you decide to stay were you are, take a year off from school and work all you can. Make some money then make a decision on what you want to do. If you are going to stay where you are and do what you are doing, you aren't going to go anywhere.

What?!? :eek: Let the Navy have him.

Andy, I'd recommend seriously considering the military as well. Did me a world of good, good enough in fact to make me stay 20 years and have an additional income for the rest of my life, as well as 20 years of job experience and education. Sure, you might deploy, but would that be worse that where you're at now?

Even just doing four years would give you additional job experience, guaranteed income for a while, education assistance, and possibly a much better environment then you're in right now.

Just something to think about.

I don't think y'all get the whole picture. School isn't a problem. My grades are pretty damn good, and I enjoy it since it's A LOT of time away from my grandparents.

Well, my Dad talked to them, and they had all agreed that since I'm taking more classes, I have to cut my hours at work and they said they'd keep my rent at $300.

So today, they demanded $300 by Friday, demanded I close my bank account and give them all my money, sell my car and walk to school and work (which is impossible -- public transportation is $10 anywhere, would be $30/day between school and work), and give them $500/month.

When I get to work, I'm gonna talk to my Dad and sister -- I talked to him the other day. What they're trying to do is do everything they can to make me fail at school so I cave and join the Marines.

Wow, every time the thread starts to go away, it starts again. Move or deal with it. Do like every other adult does. Make arrangements to live on your own or deal with what the people you live with want, as far as money wise. I'm not saying quit school. But I know people who go to school, works and has their own place, and they pay more than 500 a month.

Andy, here's a deal you can't pass on. Find your way to Winston Salem and see what you can find for work. We have two full universities here and one community college that you can get a good associates degree to help you along with a BS. If you can get into one of those schools and you find a job that will pay you enough that you can pay your car payment and tuition and books for school, as well as some spending money, you can move into my house in the basement and make your own room. The basement is not finished, but it does have a bathroom with a shower. Our daughter lived down there for nearly three year using various things for walls. There is cable TV down there and if you have a laptop with wifi, you can hook up with our router and use our Road Runner account. So what would all that cost for you? First off, any food you want will have to be paid by you unless it's a main meal that the wife and I make. We usually make too much so there would be plenty for you. You would have to furnish a bed and maybe a chair, but at the time now, we have a few chairs down there that could be use, as well as a bunch of other stuff. Help what you could with food and utilities, but I wouldn't expect that to be all that much. As long as you are doing your school work, that will be plenty. And think of this...Winston Salem is in the middle of most of the NASCAR teams and with just a short drive, you could do your journalism work and get to know the teams quite well. AND if you are really interested in doing writing for NASCAR, I could introdce to a real professional whos the works inside and out,...and, if you work things write with Stan, he could open some serious doors for you if you are any good. Think about it. We have Wake Forest University and Winston Salem State University here in WS along with Forscyth Technical School. ANot far away in Greensboro you can find three other schools like those, UNCG is in Greensboro and NC A&T as well as Gilford Tech, and then not much further you have High Point University, a school that is growing like a weed. What ever you would pick would be your choice and as long as you couold meet the other requirements to live here, you';d be welcome. Think hard and find out what you want to do. If you are willing to take a chance, you know where you can find me. One thing I can guarantee you is that we could have some really good debated downstairs and if I coujld get my son-in-law to joinit, it cold be a three way free for all. Andy, I'm serious so think about it.

that's one of the most generous offers i've seen on any forum to a fellow forum member buckaroo. well done. :) now if only andy will take you up on your very generous offer.

Andy, here's a deal you can't pass on. Find your way to Winston Salem and see what you can find for work. We have two full universities here and one community college that you can get a good associates degree to help you along with a BS. If you can get into one of those schools and you find a job that will pay you enough that you can pay your car payment and tuition and books for school, as well as some spending money, you can move into my house in the basement and make your own room. The basement is not finished, but it does have a bathroom with a shower. Our daughter lived down there for nearly three year using various things for walls. There is cable TV down there and if you have a laptop with wifi, you can hook up with our router and use our Road Runner account. So what would all that cost for you? First off, any food you want will have to be paid by you unless it's a main meal that the wife and I make. We usually make too much so there would be plenty for you. You would have to furnish a bed and maybe a chair, but at the time now, we have a few chairs down there that could be use, as well as a bunch of other stuff. Help what you could with food and utilities, but I wouldn't expect that to be all that much. As long as you are doing your school work, that will be plenty. And think of this...Winston Salem is in the middle of most of the NASCAR teams and with just a short drive, you could do your journalism work and get to know the teams quite well. AND if you are really interested in doing writing for NASCAR, I could introdce to a real professional whos the works inside and out,...and, if you work things write with Stan, he could open some serious doors for you if you are any good. Think about it. We have Wake Forest University and Winston Salem State University here in WS along with Forscyth Technical School. ANot far away in Greensboro you can find three other schools like those, UNCG is in Greensboro and NC A&T as well as Gilford Tech, and then not much further you have High Point University, a school that is growing like a weed. What ever you would pick would be your choice and as long as you couold meet the other requirements to live here, you';d be welcome. Think hard and find out what you want to do. If you are willing to take a chance, you know where you can find me. One thing I can guarantee you is that we could have some really good debated downstairs and if I coujld get my son-in-law to joinit, it cold be a three way free for all. Andy, I'm serious so think about it.

Very generous, but I would lay down the rule about excessive drinking. Just sayin'. I hope he's not BS'ing. For as long as we have posted on here, as much as I have took up for him, he has yet to offer any kind of condolences when my daugher died. I just found that kind of odd. That makes me doubt his sincerity.
I really appreciate all of you that did and sent me a private message.

Very generous, but I would lay down the rule about excessive drinking. Just sayin'. I hope he's not BS'ing. For as long as we have posted on here, as much as I have took up for him, he has yet to offer any kind of condolences when my daugher died. I just found that kind of odd. That makes me doubt his sincerity.
I really appreciate all of you that did and sent me a private message.

Honestly, I did not know - don't think I haven't said anything just to intentionally dis you. I'm sorry about your daughter, terrible thing when a parent has to go to their child's funeral.

And I thank everybody for their support.

Thanks for the offer buckaroo, if things don't work out for Maryland in the fall semester, it's one I'll seriously consider. No matter what the situation is, I intend to move in the summer.

I've talked to some friends and co-workers about paying them a few hundred a month to live with them... some have said I am welcome but their excessive use of drugs and alcohol is not who I need to associate myself with.

Another option, if things don't work out for getting in to Maryland this fall, is taking a semester or two off and working a few jobs to save up money to get a place on my own.

It's a generation gap really -- my grandparents grew up during the depression, and they truly honestly believe everyone should have to work for nothing and suffer hard times the way they did. They have a problem with the fact that I've been able to pay all my bills and still have money to afford gas to go see friends in DC... this was the biggest problem. My grandmother thinks I should only have just enough money (I go to work 1-2 hours early every day and stay 1-2 hours late every day) to make ends meet so I know what it's like to struggle... which is fine until it affects my school work.

Me and my grandfather are going out together, every couple weeks we go out and have guy time. He's neutral, he feels I should pay rent (and I agree) but he also feels that I should not be charged an amount I cannot afford. He has a serious problem with the amount I work, mainly because it's bad for my health.

As far as the energy drinks and being designed to push someone beyond their limits, not to be snarky, but that's the ****ing point. My job isn't construction, but it's not sitting in front of a computer or standing at a cash register either. I only drink them on days I work... a cup of coffee just doesn't do it for me (plus coffee is more expensive).

My future is in the racing industry, I honestly feel I can make a career out of writing.

Honestly, I did not know - don't think I haven't said anything just to intentionally dis you. I'm sorry about your daughter, terrible thing when a parent has to go to their child's funeral.

Thank you, Andy. I was in the middle of a melt down when I posted that. I shouldn't have posted anything. Sorry.

Back
Top Bottom