If it seems too good to be true, it might just be Kaulig Racing

LewTheShoe

Seeking Skill-based Meritocracy... More HP Less DF
Matt Kaulig Chris Rice.jpg

Most Nascar fans have seen this movie before... new team owner arrives on the scene all full of piss and vinegar... only to fizzle out as the bills pile up (or even worse, as the FBI shows up with search warrants.)

I'll admit to having a flashback or two as I've watched the impressive progress happening over at Kaulig Racing. Admit it: so have you. How's that Leaf Filter business doing, anyway?

But Matt Weaver offers a very thoughtful, well-researched profile of Matt Kaulig that leaves me brimming with hope that this is the real deal... not another Tabasco Fiasco, DC Solar, or Leavine Family Racing. Weaver's piece is recommended reading...

Ya know, we've been talking about having something done with the gutters. It can't hurt to get an estimate from the local rep (among others).

Ya know, we've been talking about having something done with the gutters. It can't hurt to get an estimate from the local rep (among others).
Boy, talk about a pressure sales pitch.

I see no reason why a quote for a home improvement service should be good for only three days. Is there a 72-hour expiration date on the materials? Will the laborers' hourly rates go up after this weekend? You don't sit in my kitchen and tell me I have three days to make a $1000+ decision. 30 or 60 days is more like it, allowing me plenty of time to get other quotes and comparison shop. You sure don't ask repeatedly what it's going to take for me to make a decision immediately, and keep knocking the price down when I won't. If you can keep knocking it down every time I won't sign, why would I ever say yes?

This could be the best product in the world but the sales approach ran me off. A bit of Googling gave results indicating this style is apparently practiced by most Leaf Filter installers, not just the local guys. Too bad, because I have the money burning a hole in my pocket. Guess I'll just spend it having my gutters cleaned a couple of times a year instead.

I see no reason why a quote for a home improvement service should be good for only three days. Is there a 72-hour expiration date on the materials? Will the laborers' hourly rates go up after this weekend? You don't sit in my kitchen and tell me I have three days to make a $1000+ decision. 30 or 60 days is more like it, allowing me plenty of time to get other quotes and comparison shop. You sure don't ask repeatedly what it's going to take for me to make a decision immediately, and keep knocking the price down when I won't. If you can keep knocking it down every time I won't sign, why would I ever say yes?

This could be the best product in the world but the sales approach ran me off. A bit of Googling gave results indicating this style is apparently practiced by most Leaf Filter installers, not just the local guys. Too bad, because I have the money burning a hole in my pocket. Guess I'll just spend it having my gutters cleaned a couple of times a year instead.
I knew you would regret that move. I got a quote once from some gutter company I can't remember the name of it. It was like inviting the encyclopedia salesman in. I told him in the beginning I wasn't about to spend a ridiculous amount of money. Bottom line - $30,000. Yes sir, that was his quote. Unfreaking believable

I knew you would regret that move. I got a quote once from some gutter company I can't remember the name of it. It was like inviting the encyclopedia salesman in. I told him in the beginning I wasn't about to spend a ridiculous amount of money. Bottom line - $30,000. Yes sir, that was his quote. Unfreaking believable
For 30,000 I will build you a new garage and throw the gutter part in.

Reactions: Pat
For the $1200 I was quoted, I can have the gutters cleaned a couple of times a year for the 4 years or so I'm remaining in this house. Maybe more, since I can do half of them myself in less than 20 minutes, including time to get the ladder out and put it away.

Mind you, I don't hold this against Kaulig.

For the $1200 I was quoted, I can have the gutters cleaned a couple of times a year for the 4 years or so I'm remaining in this house. Maybe more, since I can do half of them myself in less than 20 minutes, including time to get the ladder out and put it away.

Mind you, I don't hold this against Kaulig.
I don't have any gutters to clean in the first place. People said my roof doesn't need gutters. Well, pounding rain coming off the edge of the roof cuts into the concrete. Also, it created an erosion problem off the back porch. I had to dig a ditch and fill it with pea gravel.

While I don't offer the same type of service, I too sometimes will put an expiration date on my quotes I give, the reason is to cut down on price shopping, using other bids to get a lower price and so on. The other reason I do it is , I can only book one client per day , so by giving a quote for a date puts me in limbo for that day , the longer a person takes, the less chance I might have to fill that date, it mostly applies to our in season dates , off season dates I don't worry about as much and won't put an expiration date on it.

Im guessing they did that to try and stop you from price shopping and want you to book on the spot, its a sales tactic.

While I don't offer the same type of service, I too sometimes will put an expiration date on my quotes I give, the reason is to cut down on price shopping, using other bids to get a lower price and so on. The other reason I do it is , I can only book one client per day , so by giving a quote for a date puts me in limbo for that day , the longer a person takes, the less chance I might have to fill that date, it mostly applies to our in season dates , off season dates I don't worry about as much and won't put an expiration date on it.

Im guessing they did that to try and stop you from price shopping and want you to book on the spot, its a sales tactic.

Yeah, I can't blame someone for not wanting a customer to do a lot of price shopping. Especially in this age of "extreme couponing" where people take price shopping and stuff to an extreme.

Yeah, I can't blame someone for not wanting a customer to do a lot of price shopping. Especially in this age of "extreme couponing" where people take price shopping and stuff to an extreme.
People get a bit crazy when it comes to trying to get deals and like you said, " extreme couponing" , there is nothing wrong with trying to save money, I price shop to for a lot things, and there is nothing wrong it, but there are the ones that take it a bit too far, and those the ones that I want to avoid being my clients, because its not going to end there.

People get a bit crazy when it comes to trying to get deals and like you said, " extreme couponing" , there is nothing wrong with trying to save money, I price shop to for a lot things, and there is nothing wrong it, but there are the ones that take it a bit too far, and those the ones that I want to avoid being my clients, because its not going to end there.

I go nutty bobo nut town when I'm behind the extreme couponer in line at a grocery store. They have coupons for EVERYTHING.

Again, I understand saving money, I'm a bargain hunter myself, but people take it too far.

Anderson windows will give you a written proposal and honor the price for a year.
I like the product, but I didn't like paying up front and taking 3-4 weeks for the install. Still, I look forward to buying more of their product.

I like the product, but I didn't like paying up front and taking 3-4 weeks for the install. Still, I look forward to buying more of their product.
I don't have a problem paying in advance for custom installation or having to wait for custom parts. We had to do that for the interior shutters in the kitchen and LR. We had 50% down on a new roof.

I don't have a problem paying in advance for custom installation or having to wait for custom parts. We had to do that for the interior shutters in the kitchen and LR. We had 50% down on a new roof.
I went 50%. I understand the window was made for me. Roofing?? I didn't pay a dime up front. As a matter of fact I believe Anderson's windows was the only time I've paid up front for anything. I have an odd sized window in back I had to order a custom screen for and didn't have to pay anything up front for it. I've heard of too many people getting ripped off by paying up front.

Oh wait... paid up front for flooring and carpet.

High pressure sales approaches are weak, but I guarantee that "three day quote" will still be honored a week or a month from now. All part of the gimmick. You just gotta understand where these guys are coming from. Your average homeowner is a complete dipsh!t, and they know this.

I spent several good years in commercial sales dealing with contractors, and a few annoying years in retail dealing with homeowners. As far as the latter is concerned, never again.

High pressure sales approaches are weak, but I guarantee that "three day quote" will still be honored a week or a month from now.
Oh, certainly. I still don't like the approach and certainly am not going to dance to his tune. Apparently they have enough business that I didn't warrant a follow-up call or e-mail.

View attachment 50976

Most Nascar fans have seen this movie before... new team owner arrives on the scene all full of piss and vinegar... only to fizzle out as the bills pile up (or even worse, as the FBI shows up with search warrants.)

I'll admit to having a flashback or two as I've watched the impressive progress happening over at Kaulig Racing. Admit it: so have you. How's that Leaf Filter business doing, anyway?

But Matt Weaver offers a very thoughtful, well-researched profile of Matt Kaulig that leaves me brimming with hope that this is the real deal... not another Tabasco Fiasco, DC Solar, or Leavine Family Racing. Weaver's piece is recommended reading...

When did Jim Carrey get into NASCAR?

Back
Top Bottom