If you ever saw

Spotter22

Team Owner
bobbyok.jpg
Bobby Allison doing this while everyone else was still practicing, they knew they are in trouble lol

Wonder how many days a week he worked out in the gym? :D
Kinda a funny how the old drivers managed to finish races.
And add another 100 laps to Dover which was the week after the 600

Such a bad ass picture, I dont care what anyone says..... drivers back then were more bad ass. Thats just a bad ass picture, relaxing on the back of his decklid with his feet up, Bobby Allison is one cool dude. I wish I was around to see him race live instead of YouTube.

Such a bad ass picture, I dont care what anyone says..... drivers back then were more bad ass. Thats just a bad ass picture, relaxing on the back of his decklid with his feet up, Bobby Allison is one cool dude. I wish I was around to see him race live instead of YouTube.
I wish you could have too because everything you said is spot on. He's a true American Bad ass brother

That is a man that is confident. Growing up in Alabama, and still here, Bobby, Donnie and Red were and still are my heroes. I vividly recall going to Huntsville Speedway when they ran on Thursday nights and setting in class the next day drawing pics of their race cars. There was always a mystique about those guys. Bobby Allison is a true legend and an American icon in my book. Authentic, old school racer. Sadly, a dying breed.

Looks like a block off plate on the fuel filler. Fuel filler on the right indicates a road course car. Where would a road course car run on an oval?

That is a man that is confident... Bobby Allison is a true legend and an American icon in my book. Authentic, old school racer. Sadly, a dying breed.
Not a dying breed. Confident, yes. Legend, yes. Authentic old school racer Racer, yes. Definitely Bad Ass. But not a dying breed... unless you judge Bad Ass-ness by superficial lifestyle things like grease under the fingernails, no power steering, cotton instead of Nomex, etc. If you do judge Racers that way, by non-racing lifestyle criteria, well shame on ya because it tells me you just don't get it what racing Bad Ass-ness is all about.

Not a dying breed. Confident, yes. Legend, yes. Authentic old school racer Racer, yes. Definitely Bad Ass. But not a dying breed... unless you judge Bad Ass-ness by superficial lifestyle things like grease under the fingernails, no power steering, cotton instead of Nomex, etc. If you do judge Racers that way, by non-racing lifestyle criteria, well shame on ya because it tells me you just don't get it what racing Bad Ass-ness is all about.

I'm thinking more about guys that ran wide open all day and all night. Guys that raced three or four times a week, built their own cars and drove their haulers. I recall reading Bobbys autobiography. He told about the times he and Donnie would head out to Nashville from Hueytown. They'd stop and buy a basket of peaches to eat. If they had a good night at the track they'd get a steak afterwards. They didn't show up at the track to a car that was waiting on them. There was a 100 lap late model race at Huntsville a week or so back, the 16 year old that won it has had it handed to him. That's the difference in the "breed" I'm talking about.

I'm thinking more about guys that ran wide open all day and all night. Guys that raced three or four times a week, built their own cars and drove their haulers. I recall reading Bobbys autobiography. He told about the times he and Donnie would head out to Nashville from Hueytown. They'd stop and buy a basket of peaches to eat. If they had a good night at the track they'd get a steak afterwards. They didn't show up at the track to a car that was waiting on them. There was a 100 lap late model race at Huntsville a week or so back, the 16 year old that won it has had it handed to him. That's the difference in the "breed" I'm talking about.
Like I said above, you're talking Early Nascar Lifestyle, not Racers strapping in and racing. As a Racer, Jimmie Johnson is as Bad Ass as Bobby Allison, and for all the same reasons. So is Kyle Busch, Keselowski, and others.

BTW, the lifestyle you describe hasn't changed as much if you consider WoO sprint car racers, or the Pennsylvania Posse, or Lucas Oil late model guys. But I got my fill of lifestyle adoration from a former member who has left the building, LOL.

Like I said above, you're talking Early Nascar Lifestyle, not Racers strapping in and racing. As a Racer, Jimmie Johnson is as Bad Ass as Bobby Allison, and for all the same reasons. So is Kyle Busch, Keselowski, and others.

BTW, the lifestyle you describe hasn't changed as much if you consider WoO sprint car racers, or the Pennsylvania Posse, or Lucas Oil late model guys. But I got my fill of lifestyle adoration from a former member who has left the building, LOL.

I concur with what you're saying about the guys that strap in and go. They all have something in their DNA that most of us don't have. There was something just way cool about that generation. And hopefully there are young kids sitting in class rooms drawing pics of their heroes cars today. Be a shame if they're not doing that.

Somebody in broadcast last weekend, I think it might have been Rusty, was talking about how the loads (g) on the drivers is so much more intense than it used to be - especially at places like Dover. He said drivers used to be able to get by without too much physical training but now it’s just not possible, you won’t be able to run all day if you’re not fit.

He’s wearing wallabys. That freaking rules.

He’s wearing wallabys. That freaking rules.
I seem to recall Dave Marcis wearing Wingtips or Penny Loafers? Maybe someone else can remember the facts. If I'm not mistaken, he drove wearing those.

View attachment 40317 Bobby Allison doing this while everyone else was still practicing, they knew they are in trouble lol
Tickles me to death seeing a picture of Bobby Allison doing the "ok" sign.
Same here. I wish I could have lived during that era, and been mentored by one of those kinds of guys.
I seem to recall Dave Marcis wearing Wingtips or Penny Loafers? Maybe someone else can remember the facts. If I'm not mistaken, he drove wearing those.
Correct.

The difference to me is simple and selfish, I grew up watching this guy race, he is my hero and the reason I got into racing. His tenacity, his uncommon ability to build it from the ground up and drive it, his ingenuity is still found in the sport today. Most of all it was his personality, on the track he took no prisoners but off the track he would stay till the last kid or adult that wanted an autograph was gone. I agree, they are all bad ass to someone and thats why he is to me.

Looks like a block off plate on the fuel filler. Fuel filler on the right indicates a road course car. Where would a road course car run on an oval?
Could have been a car used on several different types of tracks. Not many teams had specialty cars back then.

Could have been a car used on several different types of tracks. Not many teams had specialty cars back then.

That makes perfect sense. Probably rolled out of a shop that had maybe four or five cars, instead of the unlimited supply nowadays.

That makes perfect sense. Probably rolled out of a shop that had maybe four or five cars, instead of the unlimited supply nowadays.
Sorry I was gonna reply but forgot, short track cars were used on road courses sometimes also, bigger brake package etc...

During the three years 1974-76, the Wood Brothers entered 62 races, won 20 of them and 44 top-5's. David Pearson was the driver. He drove just two cars in that three-year period, according to Leonard Wood, who knows where both of them are today (owned by collectors). A speedway car and a short track / road racing car. That's cool.

Back
Top Bottom