IMSA 2016

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
CgqAMebWIAEJRcd.jpg:large

I know Laguna Seca is tight.. but damn, running two races two classes each?

Either way. Would be a good show. Just looked at what a weekend calendar looks like. Tons of racing!

I know Laguna Seca is tight.. but damn, running two races two classes each?

Either way. Would be a good show. Just looked at what a weekend calendar looks like. Tons of racing!
I think it boiled down to pit lane size. From what I remember, Laguna Seca doesn't have that big of a pit lane and they have 42 cars entered this weekend. No one cares about PC so GTD pretty much getting their own show should be nice at least.

And yeah, IMSA events are awesome to attend. Races upon races for days.

I just started to look into going to an IMSA event. I'm in the Phoenix area so Long Beach is the closest one I think. Not sure I want to see that one, so I might have to take a trip to florida. I've never been to a race at Daytona so I bet that's pretty cool.

I just started to look into going to an IMSA event. I'm in the Phoenix area so Long Beach is the closest one I think. Not sure I want to see that one, so I might have to take a trip to florida. I've never been to a race at Daytona so I bet that's pretty cool.
Long Beach and Laguna Seca are both solid events. Most of the season is out on the Atlantic but I'd love to go to the WEC/IMSA doubleheader at COTA at some point.

Lol, loved the DP trying to fly around the track without the rear wing. What did that guy think would happen? Lol, no wing, no downforce, loose rear end! haha.

It's like learning how sausage is made...

I like watching a sports car race now and again. Le Mans was an epic battle in both classes this year, with incredibly close competition at the front of each pro class from the 1st hour to the 24th. And not a manufactured close finish (by Nascar-style full course cautions), it was legitimately close from green to checkers. Really good stuff...

Until you learn how it is made to be that way: BoP. In the GT classes, the notion that the cars race to prove their performance capabilities is nothing but a quaint fairy tale. Sigh. I know there is no other way to have a sports car race circa 2016. But still... sigh.

BoP changes for next race.

In the GT classes, the notion that the cars race to prove their performance capabilities is nothing but a quaint fairy tale. Sigh. I know there is no other way to have a sports car race circa 2016. But still... sigh.
Of course, certain cars are still inherently better and more adept in certain situations (ex: Porsche in low-speed corner exit and rain). But generally yes, the full capabilities of these cars won't be known but at least they provide quality racing for the most part. GT3 in particular is blossoming around the world.

^ As long as one recognizes it for what is is, and more importantly, for what it is not. (But as I said, there is no other way.)

^ As long as one recognizes it for what is is, and more importantly, for what it is not. (But as I said, there is no other way.)
I don't think it would be fair to say manufacturers are removed from the equation, but I also don't think most fans have illusions of GTE/GTLM being fairly wide-open like LMP1. Ford has definitely rewritten the GT standard already and the other OEMs are already beginning to respond (Porsche getting waivers to go to a mid-engine design for their brand new 2017 car).

Back
Top Bottom