IMSA 2016

I've always thought the Deltawing looked backwards (I do think it looks cool though), the wide end should be up front for better turning. The narrow front layout reminds me of the instability of the three wheel off road trikes vs the Polaris Slingshot. I would think the driver would have a harder time judging the width of his car with the narrow front. But the narrow front is probably better aero.

I've always thought the Deltawing looked backwards (I do think it looks cool though), the wide end should be up front for better turning. The narrow front layout reminds me of the instability of the three wheel off road trikes vs the Polaris Slingshot. I would think the driver would have a harder time judging the width of his car with the narrow front. But the narrow front is probably better aero.
They killed everyone in trap speeds at Daytona this year. A pain to handle though.

Shocking.

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/133240-imsa-no-22-weathertech-porsche-out-of-gtd

Terrible sports. They don't have a leg to stand on, in my opinion. Team Seattle just took pole at Road America while Park Place finished 2nd in the race, and Porsche sit in 2nd in manufacturer standings while Team Seattle has a win. Team Seattle has four poles in all.

Wow that's unfortunate and gives a black eye to everyone involved. "I'm not winning so I'm going somewhere else." Poor IMSA has to just take it.

Sports car racing is hard to regulate. Back in the GTP days there was a time when there were many manufacturers competing but they left when one mfg dominated. In Europe they would add weight to winning cars to try balancing the field for more competition.

I haven't been able to follow sports car racing like I used to, its either on channels I don't have or on at times I don't watch (don't have a dvr).

CqY7P_fWIAIK2SH.jpg

I'm so sad without the big tree in turn 12 where it used to grow out over the track. That was such a unique feature of the track and a very signature look for it. I think it has been gone for a few years now but I still miss it.

2012_ALMS_VIR_FalkenAtOakTree_s.jpg

A nice reflection on the DP era as it comes to an end this weekend: http://www.racer.com/more/viewpoints/item/134825-insight-a-farewell-to-daytona-prototypes

IMSA's Grand Touring Prototype formula spanned 1981-'93, its replacement, the World Sports Car concept, took over in 1994, and with Saturday's season finale at Petit Le Mans, the WSC-inspired Daytona Prototype formula will bid farewell after its lengthy reign.

The tubeframe prototypes ushered in Grand-Am's top-tier Rolex Series category in 2003, and are responsible for many of the businesses, team owners, drivers, and crew members that populate today's WeatherTech SportsCar Championship. Positioned between GTPs and LMP1s, DPs fostered limited enthusiasm among fans, but their value in keeping North American sportscar racing alive and moving during turbulent financial patches cannot be denied.

To give DPs a proper sendoff, RACER spoke with the father of the DP formula, IMSA's Mark Raffauf (below), Bill Riley – whose DPs won more poles, races, and championships than any other model – championship-winning DP driver and team owner Wayne Taylor and Michael Shank, whose junior open-wheel team used DPs to build a privateer team into a program that has recently earned its first major factory racing contract.

A very interesting article. I think the best way forward for IndyCar would be to adopt a similar philosophy in order to break out of the spec car death trap they are in now. The amount of difference from one to the next would be small, like it is for Daytona Prototypes and Nascar chassis too. But to me, knowing all the Indy cars come from the exact same production batch is just a cold shower on my interest.

A very interesting article. I think the best way forward for IndyCar would be to adopt a similar philosophy in order to break out of the spec car death trap they are in now. The amount of difference from one to the next would be small, like it is for Daytona Prototypes and Nascar chassis too. But to me, knowing all the Indy cars come from the exact same production batch is just a cold shower on my interest.
That was up for consideration a few years ago when bids were being put in to produce the DW12 but they opted against it obviously. I don't think that's something they need to worry about for a few years as bringing in another OEM to supply engines and maybe opening up select parts for teams to develop on their own, as has been discussed, is probably more realistic and of greater importance for the time being.

I'd love to attend an IMSA race next year. Unfortunately both races that really are on the bucket list are both in Florida.

I'd love to attend an IMSA race next year. Unfortunately both races that really are on the bucket list are both in Florida.
If you ever get the opportunity I don't think you'd regret. I still haven't done the "full" experience at either (infield camping for days and all that) but they've been awesome regardless.

Back
Top Bottom