IMSA 2020

Discussion in 'Sports Car Racing' started by FLRacingFan, Nov 4, 2019.

1. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

This is the day’s big racing news, folks.

Turtle84 likes this.
  2. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Leaving SRO Europe, formidable team who’s already had success at Daytona and Sebring the last few years.

StandOnIt likes this.
  3. Turtle84

Turtle84 gained a step

I've been waiting my entire life to see this moment

FLRacingFan likes this.
  4. AdoubleU24

AdoubleU24 Team Owner

I saw Alexander Rossi post that they were testing at Daytona today in the Acura DPI. Was it just their team?

5. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

I think some teams with private test days left over booked it because I saw on Twitter some stuff about BMW and Lexus being there too.

Charlie Spencer and AdoubleU24 like this.
  6. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Jordan Taylor confirmed at Corvette today.

Leaves WTR likely to run Renger alongside Ryan Briscoe full-time with Scott Dixon joining for endurance events, and Kobayashi for Daytona.

AdoubleU24 and Charlie Spencer like this.
  7. AdoubleU24

AdoubleU24 Team Owner

Bittersweet for sure

8. AdoubleU24

AdoubleU24 Team Owner

Any word on Fernando Alonso and the Rolex? Is he planning on running it again?

9. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Haven't heard anything on it but I don't think he'll be there because he's running the Dakar Rally in January and will probably take a break after all of that. I think it ends a week before the 24?

AdoubleU24 likes this.
  10. Doc Austin

Doc Austin Team Extreme Flight

The Taylor lineup is set, so where would he go? Acura is set, Action Express can always call up the Mustang Sampling drivers for the enduros, so all the winning cars are taken, except maybe Mazda, and their program seems to be in chaos. Don't expect to see Fernando in anything but a front line ride, but most of those are already gone.

I read that Mazda wants to hand the entire program to Multimatic, which leaves Joest out. Joest will run the cars until Sebring, which makes no sense. If you're going to switch teams it's better to do it at seasons start. Completely uprooting the entire program like that mid-season is asking for an epic implosion. If it's me, and I want to cut ties, I do it now so I can get the next team organized, test and have everything in place when the season starts. I could be wrong, but splitting the season up like that just seems dumb and asking for trouble. There's got to be something going on behind the scenes because that car was finally competitive and reliable. It doesn't make sense to rip a winning program apart unless we aren't getting the whole picture. Mazda is better off paying Joest to go away quietly so they can start getting ready for next year.

I also don't know where this leaves the Mazda drivers, though I believe they are probably safe. They have all been with Mazda a long time. However, Spencer Pigot seems to be odd man out in Indycars because he has no funding, and he's a big Mazda favorite. If he can't be in Indycar, I hope Mazda picks him up. Think about this: provisional pole and front row start in the Indianapolis 500 in May, and dead meat by November. Whatever happened to results count? This guy is on the verge of breaking through to greatness and no one wants him?

It would be cool to see Joest run the Nissan but they are are not interested in another development program. That car is probably just gone. Nissan isn't interested and these cars have become too expensive for privateers to run them. That, and the car simply isn't competitive any more, so why bother?

I also don't see an privateers buying Cadillacs because the cars are soon going to be replaced. I also don't think it's fair Cadillac has to supply so many cars while Acura and Mazda get a free ride. There is talk of a privateer Mazda joining the series, but who's going to invest in a class that's already set to be replaced?

IMSA and the FIA had the answer in their hands and they simply dropped it. Now we are going to have stupid expensive and probably (at least initially) unreliable DPI hybrids, and super mega GT ****boxes in the WEC. No one can tell me a world wide DPI/P2 formula wouldn't have been better.

FLRacingFan and Barbara Charles like this.
  11. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

This is a surprisingly good entry from JDC-Miller. Barbosa and Bourdais full-time with Loic Duval for the NAEC. Very good news for a DPi class that was looking somewhat shaky for a little while.

Turtle84 and Charlie Spencer like this.
  12. Doc Austin

I didn't think Bourdais would be unemployed long

Turtle84 and FLRacingFan like this.
  13. Doc Austin

Charlie Spencer likes this.
  14. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

Solid union of several former IMSA parties.

15. Turtle84

Turtle84 gained a step

Sophomore year expansion to run 2 cars

FLRacingFan and Charlie Spencer like this.
  16. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

17. Barbara Charles

Barbara Charles Team Owner

Thank you for posting that.

FLRacingFan likes this.
  18. FLRacingFan

FLRacingFan Team Owner

19. Charlie Spencer

Charlie Spencer Remember the Gator

Turtle84, StandOnIt and FLRacingFan like this.
  20. Mispeedway15

Mispeedway15 Team Owner

Best series I’ve ever watched live. So frickin exciting

21. Turtle84

Turtle84 gained a step

The Dinger is back in :punkrocke

22. StandOnIt

StandOnIt Farm Truck

Good to see A.J. full time. That's his forte road racing