IMSA 2022

Pole winners for tomorrow’s GT-only affair are the #23 Heart of Racing Aston and the Winward AMG. Pfaff have pretty much locked up GTD Pro honors already, but there are five legitimate title contenders left in GTD heading into the penultimate race.

Pole winners for tomorrow’s GT-only affair are the #23 Heart of Racing Aston and the Winward AMG. Pfaff have pretty much locked up GTD Pro honors already, but there are five legitimate title contenders left in GTD heading into the penultimate race.
2 PM ET at VIR on CNBC/Peacock, btw. Now a lead-out of the Cup race but we’ll see what Florida weather has to say about that.

The BMW M4 has been quite the success on the GTD side, still a lot of work to do in GTD Pro.
Makes no sense to me whatsoever, they’re on the same BoP table across both classes and have the same main competition in both classes. I just don’t get it. That car has had a lot of success worldwide already too.

Woahhh, that was tight. Jordan is on a mission right now.

Lally did a good job out front on old tires.

Pfaff have completely taken this series by storm since joining 2019. Two wins in their maiden season in 2019, only ran two races during COVID as a Canadian team in 2020, win GTD title in 2021, win GTD Pro title in 2022. I hope they get themselves a customer 963 and move to GTP in a year or two.

Interesting strategery race in GTD with Winward running long to do a short fill for the final stint, and the 27 Heart of Racing Aston running 75 minutes to the finish to grab 2nd. Class title is going to be a free-for-all at Petit.

Tough track to pass at with how fast it is in these cars, those esses are insane. Slow burn but it had its moments in the back half.

Pfaff have completely taken this series by storm since joining 2019. Two wins in their maiden season in 2019, only ran two races during COVID as a Canadian team in 2020, win GTD title in 2021, win GTD Pro title in 2022. I hope they get themselves a customer 963 and move to GTP in a year or two.

Interesting strategery race in GTD with Winward running long to do a short fill for the final stint, and the 27 Heart of Racing Aston running 75 minutes to the finish to grab 2nd. Class title is going to be a free-for-all at Petit.

Tough track to pass at with how fast it is in these cars, those esses are insane. Slow burn but it had its moments in the back half.
Did Pfaff have full-on factory Porsche support from the jump? Its insane how this team has blown up in such little time.

Not to mention, the Plaid is so recognizable on the grid. Such a marketable team, their GTP car is going to look insane with that livery.

Did Pfaff have full-on factory Porsche support from the jump? Its insane how this team has blown up in such little time.

Not to mention, the Plaid is so recognizable on the grid. Such a marketable team, their GTP car is going to look insane with that livery.
The plaid has become iconic already, such a fan favorite design for sure.

I don’t know what their deal is with Porsche, maybe some technical and parts support but Porsche are typically really supportive of all of their customers worldwide in that sense. They did get assigned three future factory GTP drivers for their lineup so I think Porsche value them a lot, but financially support themselves.

Good to pick up his option.

Now, I wonder what AXR will do? Will they give Nunez another go or keep him in that "development" role? Pla was not bad, but how can you really say Oliver did badly? AXR was really missing Nasr this year, Pipo did the usual superhuman things he does, however he can't carry the load for two drivers. Pla was not bad, but you can tell the lack of testing really hurt his performance. Also, his stock was hurt badly after being with MSR the year prior. Goes to show how hard it is to go from a Mazda to an Acura or Caddy.

Good to pick up his option.

Now, I wonder what AXR will do? Will they give Nunez another go or keep him in that "development" role? Pla was not bad, but how can you really say Oliver did badly? AXR was really missing Nasr this year, Pipo did the usual superhuman things he does, however he can't carry the load for two drivers. Pla was not bad, but you can tell the lack of testing really hurt his performance. Also, his stock was hurt badly after being with MSR the year prior. Goes to show how hard it is to go from a Mazda to an Acura or Caddy.
AXR need to hit the driver market for the second seat, imo. Pla is past his prime and has been very error-prone and inconsistent for a few years now, I think Nunez isn’t getting a second chance. They need another killer like Nasr…lots of LMP2 guys and Audi guys that fit that bill.

If you decide to sleep in the car, do a trial run one night during the off season. See if the passenger seat offers more room to stretch out, or maybe the back of an SUV. Try some different pillow placements or an air mattress. Toss in a couple of blankets or even a sleeping bag; Daytona can get cold in late Jan. Bring a couple of empty gallon jugs with screw-on caps so you won't risk 'public urination' charges.

Weekend garage access included with the ticket is something new for next year, so definitely take advantage of that. It’s one of the coolest aspects of a race anywhere.

I’ve done it both ways, more recently staying in the hotel to get some decent sleep and wash up. But there’s a giant parking lot at One Daytona now where it’s easy to catch some zzz’s too. Better than sleeping in front of a Best Buy.

In my experience it’s always colder than it says with the breeze coming off of the coast, especially up in the grandstands. Compared to other 24H races, the time of year and amount of night running makes the weather pretty unique. This year was the first I couldn’t attend in over a decade but it was historically cold with high 20’s/low 30’s much of the race, plus wind chill, so you can never have enough layers.

Regarding washing up if you stay in the car, baby wipes. Buy them, use them, love them. You can take an entire bath with as few as two of them if you manage them properly; ask any veteran with field experience. ;) A pack of gum makes a half-decent replacement for a toothbrush, at least for a weekend.

You can always leave extra layers in the car until needed. Yeah, you may wind up looking like the Michelin Man but there's little worse than trying to enjoy a race while your teeth are chattering.

I suggest you get a rental car you can sleep in. The noise and vibration will beat you down and a few hours sleep will help a lot.

Thanks for all of the good information and tips. I've got my tickets bought, and am looking forward to attending next January.

AXR need to hit the driver market for the second seat, imo. Pla is past his prime and has been very error-prone and inconsistent for a few years now, I think Nunez isn’t getting a second chance. They need another killer like Nasr…lots of LMP2 guys and Audi guys that fit that bill.
I still say Deletraz, you have Bommarito out there, Fjordbach... Norman Nato is pretty good in LMP2, but like you said AXR needs another assassin as the second driver.

Woah…IMSA teams sure love themselves a Toyota driver as an endurance ace. The surprise signing Felipe Albuquerque mentioned for PLM is Brendon Hartley, joining fellow WEC teammates Kobayashi and Mike Conway on the DPi grid.

Lol, Kinda funny how this came about, and it sounds like they’re having fun with it. All the young guys are coming to meet he and Ray and Evernham is asking them what tire pressures they’re running.

“Don [Cusick] had just taken delivery of a 992 Cup car and said, ‘Would you like to drive it?’ So I did and I had a lot of fun.

“When I left there I said, ‘How do I get one of these?

“Little did I know at the time that you have to race this car if you purchase it. I really had no intentions of racing this car but that’s the deal that you have to abide by with Porsche.

"Really, Honey, I didn't know that when I bought it! We've already spent the money, I don't have much choice!"

"Oh yeah? Get outta there, Mister. How do I start this thing?"

Porsche hosted a two-day test last week at Daytona where, shockingly, there were lightning and thunderstorm delays. Still working through some reliability issues with things like the battery and MGU but overall it sounds much more sorted than in the spring. Best lap was within a couple of seconds of the Mazda RT24-P track record set in 2019.

Cadillac and Acura were also in attendance but denied media access.

Back
Top Bottom