IMSA 2022

GT4 will debut second half of next year. They said they want to sell GT3 customer cars across IMSA, SRO, and WEC and Jim Farley said they’ll be at Le Mans.

Porsche customer update - nothing official yet, but Proton Competition is strongly rumored now to run the second customer car in both IMSA and WEC. Foyt was at one point favored to get the second IMSA customer car but couldn’t pull through with the funding (shocking).

With the manufacturer in a race against time to get additional chassis built up it seems JDC-Miller and Proton won’t be on the IMSA grid until round 4 at Mid-Ohio. On the WEC side, JOTA and Proton could miss the first two rounds but hopefully are on the grid at Spa in late April to get one race in before Le Mans.

Porsche customer update - nothing official yet, but Proton Competition is strongly rumored now to run the second customer car in both IMSA and WEC. Foyt was at one point favored to get the second IMSA customer car but couldn’t pull through with the funding (shocking).

With the manufacturer in a race against time to get additional chassis built up it seems JDC-Miller and Proton won’t be on the IMSA grid until round 4 at Mid-Ohio. On the WEC side, JOTA and Proton could miss the first two rounds but hopefully are on the grid at Spa in late April to get one race in before Le Mans.
I hope they're built to be fast because they aren't being built fast.

I hope they're built to be fast because they aren't being built fast.
Tbf this is why no other manufacturer is offering customer cars the first year. The supply chain for $3M cars still isn’t what it needs to be and manufacturers are more worried about test mileage before they lock in their homologation and put the final product together. Need to build up a proper spares inventory for the primary teams as well.

Porsche have accumulated about 16,000 km of test mileage with a stated goal of 30,000 km before the Rolex. Better to have it sorted and debut midseason than rush a bunch of chassis for Daytona and Sebring. And they’d need at least 8 chassis for Sebring weekend…don’t want another “crappy-ass parts” saga.

Alexander Sims is moving into the GTP program next year. Derani, Can Der Zande, and Bourdais are the other GTP drivers this year. IMHO, Sims was pretty good in the Corvette. It will be interesting to see his transition, but for AXR I think the Sims addition will be a pretty good pairing. Derani carried that organization on his shoulders this year after Nunez and Pla fell flat for them.

Alexander Sims is moving into the GTP program next year. Derani, Can Der Zande, and Bourdais are the other GTP drivers this year. IMHO, Sims was pretty good in the Corvette. It will be interesting to see his transition, but for AXR I think the Sims addition will be a pretty good pairing. Derani carried that organization on his shoulders this year after Nunez and Pla fell flat for them.

Since Bamber and Lynn have also already tested I assume they’ll be the WEC pairing. A little disappointed Bamber won’t be here but oh well. Sims is still an upgrade and a proper partner for Derani.

BMW RLL works livery revealed, plus driver lineups. CDP and Yelloly in the 24, Eng and Farfus in the 25. Herta in at Daytona, additional endurance drivers TBA.

I dig it.

I can't be the only one who thinks this looks like a Valvoline paint scheme.
Pretty similar corporate colors between BMW M and Valvoline. Made sponsorship like this pretty seamless…

A509F7C1-639C-4182-A48E-97C5C3C054B9.jpeg

Look at a good side view of the car. They tried to get cute with how they painted the fin and I just didn't like it. Asymmetry also makes me a little crazy too. Still, it's two good cars so I'mhappy about that part.

Conveniently, the same day Jimmie announces stepping back from IndyCar full-time it also sounds as though Hendrick will be running an IMSA LMP2 program next season…

Back
Top Bottom