IMSA 2023

They are not happy at all. Pretty curious to see if this sours the relationship with MSR for the worst.

This is really a big deal. It seems like MSR and HPD knew, however MSR tried to sweep it under the rug by suspending and or firing the engineer. I'm telling you, it takes a lot of fortitude to report your own team.

This could hurt the case for Honda to green light this car for WEC, which is what HPD is PRESSING like hell for. If Honda decides to say no, then we could really point to this situation as to why it did not happen. This is why HPD self-reported to be respectful about the situation. I hope this does not hurt the possibility of this happening.

I am all for following the rule book

- but -

at the end of the day, its just tire pressure for the love of pete. By reading
these news releases you would think it was roll bars filled with fuel.
I did not know scrutinizing tire pressures was that big of a thing since
I always thought that was part of the set up that teams have leeway to make.

I am all for following the rule book

- but -

at the end of the day, its just tire pressure for the love of pete. By reading
these news releases you would think it was roll bars filled with fuel.
I did not know scrutinizing tire pressures was that big of a thing since
I always thought that was part of the set up that teams have leeway to make.
Series and tire partners don’t want teams tinkering with pressures below a certain psi for safety reasons, but teams will usually try to run as low as they can for increased grip. This issue is usually at the heart of every tire kerfuffle in NASCAR where the teams accuse Goodyear of poor tire construction leading to failures, followed by Goodyear blaming the teams for running low pressures. The difference is Goodyear and NASCAR have recommended instead of mandated minimums and no TPMS.

Apparently, it was just one engineer who was cheating, but the team got the advantage out of it, so the whole team has to pay for it. How much of an advantage this gave them we don't really know, but it's officially cheating, so something had to be done.

You can't have the teams cheating on something that can have a bad effect on safety. You also can't DQ a team a month after the fact, so the sanctions are probably fair. It's just sad the biggest race in the series got a black eye from this.

Hopefully this is the end of this and we can have a fair race at Sebring.

Apparently, it was just one engineer who was cheating, but the team got the advantage out of it, so the whole team has to pay for it. How much of an advantage this gave them we don't really know, but it's officially cheating, so something had to be done.

You can't have the teams cheating on something that can have a bad effect on safety. You also can't DQ a team a month after the fact, so the sanctions are probably fair. It's just sad the biggest race in the series got a black eye from this.

Hopefully this is the end of this and we can have a fair race at Sebring.
I’m not sure how much I buy that only one guy was aware of what the tire pressures were but anything is possible. Just seems to me like between the tire techs and the engineers there’s probably more than person aware of what’s going on. I think if it were caught immediately in post-race tech it’d be a DSQ, but agree that since results have long been official and since HPD reported it there was some reprieve.

Hopefully everyone is well-behaved from here on out.

The Mustang GT3 will finally hit the track for the first time with a three-day test starting Monday at Sebring, alongside the GR010 and Z06 GT3. Hopefully Lanky Turtle will be able to catch some Coyote V8 goodness.

Qualifying at Long Beach 8:15 PM ET tonight on IMSA.TV with the race Saturday evening at 5 PM on USA/Peacock. Bigger than usual field for this event with GTP / GTD Pro / GTD in action.

Nice to see the Porsches finally finish a race unscathed and grab a double podium after a brutal start to the season. BMW have made big strides since Daytona too.

I think overall the Acura is the best car, during the DPi era they never won at Long Beach or Sebring and won only once at Belle Isle, places where they couldn’t run the chassis low and stiff. The new ORECA seems to be much less ride height sensitive and Acura are really quick everywhere now.

Rocky will make his full-time return to prototype racing with JDC-Miller’s new 963, alongside Tijmen van der Helm. The team took delivery of their car in Weissach last week and will debut it at Laguna Seca next month.

Rocky will make his full-time return to prototype racing with JDC-Miller’s new 963, alongside Tijmen van der Helm. The team took delivery of their car in Weissach last week and will debut it at Laguna Seca next month.

Mustang Sampling will not be sponsoring JDC-Miller either. I guess we are getting the Banana Boat back.

sa.jpg

Hopefully they are able to find future sponsorship. Going to be weird not seeing thier car in Black and Gold.
Van der helm is technically a pro (Gold) but he’s a funded driver bringing significant budget from what I’ve read. I wonder if they’ll bring back Vautier for the enduros.

The new look is a nice new take on the Banana Boat. I think the black goes well with it.

I believe one year they ran a yellow Cadillac.

WEC Spa this weekend.
Yes indeed!

New Jota Porsche 963 and the 01 Cadillac will be there this weekend. Should be another great race to see unfold and lets see if anyone gets a little closer to Toyota.

Back
Top Bottom