IMSA 2024

Hell of a weekend for Porsache fans.
Indeed. It took a year or so for the growing pains to subside, but the 963 is a pretty well-sorted car right now after this past weekend’s WEC/IMSA sweep. That’s now four wins out of seven total races between the two series for Porsche.

Slow burn of a race at Laguna yesterday that culminated with some late lead battle dramas in GTP and GTD. It’s a really tough place to pass at, so traffic tends to make the difference, and it sure helped yesterday. I think Nick Tandy was going to find a way around Jack Aitken eventually either way though. The big surprise to me was the 01 Cadillac fading from 2nd to 5th on the final stint using the same fuel-only strategy the winning Porsche used.

Historic weekend with Penske taking their 100th sports car win and Porsche taking their 600th and 601st IMSA wins thanks to Rexy’s first win in GTD Pro.

Was a good hard fought race. Long green flag runs and the resulting tire wear led to some late race charges. At first I didn't think Robbie Foley even saw the Acura when he gave up the win. Then I saw his comments - he was aware. Jack Aitken just got reeled in and chose wrong.

Looks like Pipo Derani will be in an LMP2 at Mosport in July. GTP isn’t on the card that weekend, same weekend as WEC at Interlagos as well, so some GTP drivers may find themselves filling in for conflicted drivers and going for overall win in LMP2.

They are going to tear up a few cars for sure.
It's only Weathertech this year, GTP and GTD Pro. Just supporting IndyCar and Indy NXT.

Then we have a quick turn around to Mid-Ohio. That will be a loaded event.

MX-5
VP Challenge
Mustang Challenge makes it debut
Pilot Series with another endurance event
FIA TCR World Tour will also be there.

So supposedly Ganassi is bowing out of sports cars entirely. I don't see him returning at all.
Chip has never been one to spend his own money, and if MSR does win the Acura contract over CGR then I just don’t see anyone else he can partner with in the immediate future.

Chip has never been one to spend his own money, and if MSR does win the Acura contract over CGR then I just don’t see anyone else he can partner with in the immediate future.
I think he puts all of his resources into indycar now, but no smoke about whom will be taking over the program.

I think he puts all of his resources into indycar now, but no smoke about whom will be taking over the program.
It's getting a bit late to set up a new program for '25,, so they must already have something in the bag.

They sure beat the **** out of each other today but this was a phenomenal pass for the win by Ricky Taylor. Sell the dummy to the outside and dive hard on the brakes up the inside.

1000000967.jpg

This was after De Phillippi's crash.

Considering how bad the track is, IMSA put on another good show.
I swear, the in-car views of this course depress me. If these are the best views Detroit has to offer, I don't know why they'd want to move here from Belle Isle in the first place. If they aren't, why aren't we seeing the attractive streets?

I haven't seen anything that makes me want to book a flight.

That BMW/RLL program needs a real revamp. Not impressive at all this season.
They certainly don't have impressive results, but they are usually reasonably quick. I think it's probably a good car but the team just can't put everything together.

I swear, the in-car views of this course depress me. If these are the best views Detroit has to offer, I don't know why they'd want to move here from Belle Isle in the first place. If they aren't, why aren't we seeing the attractive streets?

I haven't seen anything that makes me want to book a flight.
Plenty of that area around the Renn Cen and the riverwalk is nice, the TV camera angles and all the fencing, advertising banners, and barriers just don’t do the area justice. When they were at Belle Isle they could show overhead shots pretty often and it looked fantastic.

Now that they’ve left Belle Isle I’m not sure they can go back. There were a number of factors influencing the move but the increasing agitation from locals at prime park time being used for setup, race week, and teardown was getting harder to resist.

I’ve yet to watch the IndyCar race from today but in the two major races we’ve had downtown so far it’s been more racey than many anticipated.

They certainly don't have impressive results, but they are usually reasonably quick. I think it's probably a good car but the team just can't put everything together.
Need some driver lineup shakeups and I just don’t think RLL get everything out of that car. They never have with the BMW program, going back to the GT days. Don’t see them splitting anytime soon though.

CDP was highly disappointing…binned the car twice in about five minutes right after taking over for Yelloly, who put in a nice long stint to allow for a shorter refuel.

That BMW/RLL program needs a real revamp. Not impressive at all this season.
I think CDP is done after this year, he might get the same treatment Farfus did.

Back
Top Bottom