IMSA and ACO sign prototype convergence agreement

Long term deal is inked for ten years.
I look forward to the politicking that goes into awarding the one top class Le Mans entry each year:

“Beginning in 2022, the agreement allows IMSA to provide three invitations to each year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans, up from two invitations from 2014 through 2021. Those invitations will be provided for one GT entry, one LMP2 entry and, starting in 2023, one LMDh/LMH entry. For next year only, IMSA may select an LMP3 team to receive the third entry for the 2022 24 Hours of Le Mans.”

I look forward to the politicking that goes into awarding the one top class Le Mans entry each year:
If IMSA wanted, they could avoid that by defining which teams get the invitations. I'd go with either reigning class champions or most recent Rolex 24 winners.

If IMSA wanted, they could avoid that by defining which teams get the invitations. I'd go with either reigning class champions or most recent Rolex 24 winners.
In LMP2 and GTD they award it to the highest points-placing amateur driver from each class, but sometimes they aren't taken up. With the new top class I think they'll be keen not to make the invite redundant and to possibly award it to a team or manufacturer who may want to go but otherwise might not get invited. There's rumor the WEC will require a brand to run a number of WEC races like Corvette currently do in order to secure at-large bids to Le Mans, so IMSA might be wise to award it to someone like BMW or Acura who will probably have a program focused on North America.

Cadillac Confirm LMDh Programme In IMSA And WEC | dailysportscar.com

Cadillac-LMDh.jpg

I'de be surprised if it looked like this. I suspect we're being clowned.

FS8wkJvXsAUjNbG
. I think we're being clowned.

Back
Top Bottom