Indianapolis Bonehead

If it was bad enough, they could change camber on a caution pitstop and stay lead lap. Loosen two nuts, pull a 1/8" shim out, tighten two nuts.

Assuming they do actually use the shim method to set camber. I'd find it difficult to imagine otherwise.

For nomination - crew chiefs en masse.
You might stay on the LL at a few of the big tracks but you certainly would go a lap down at 1.5 and under and I wouldnt want to play a camber guessing game without getting a gauge on it.

Nobody’s guessing.

The car chief knows exactly what happens numerically when shims are added or subtracted.

You would think so, wouldn't you? I've seen a few cases where the theorized adjustment didn't exactly jive with what the alignment tools said.

They know. It’s measured, not theorized.

This is big time professional auto racing. Stuff like this is not left to chance.

They know. It’s measured, not theorized.

This is big time professional auto racing. Stuff like this is not left to chance.

I was working for a guy that was winning Cup championships as a crew member and crew chief when what we know as the modern Cup car was invented, and I'm saying sometimes what you think you know is not always reflected in what the cars says. I am not any kind of chassis setup expert. I only know HOW to make the adjustments, not always why, but I suspect the caster and camber numbers will vary depending on the control arms and spindles you are using. A shim that gives you 2 degrees of negative camber on one set of parts may only give 1.5 degrees on a different set.

I will go with Gabehart.....not because Denny blew a tire, but because Rodney Childers just said on NASCAR Radio that Gabehart sent a pic of the tire to Childers after the race. WTF?
Could be he sent it to Childers so Childers could help him with what was wrong with his setup.

Could be he sent it to Childers so Childers could help him with what was wrong with his setup.

Apparently. I cannot get my head around why you would show Rodney anything....

I was working for a guy that was winning Cup championships as a crew member and crew chief when what we know as the modern Cup car was invented, and I'm saying sometimes what you think you know is not always reflected in what the cars says. I am not any kind of chassis setup expert. I only know HOW to make the adjustments, not always why, but I suspect the caster and camber numbers will vary depending on the control arms and spindles you are using. A shim that gives you 2 degrees of negative camber on one set of parts may only give 1.5 degrees on a different set.
Last time I looked, there were 51 different front spindle combinations available. Spindle combination choice is obviously made before the cars hit the pull down rig. Everything that needs to be known is known before the cars are loaded up.

You don't seem to understand what makes winners.

Changing camber can affect your caster settings also, you can change camber using an upper control arm slug to prevent that if I'm remembering that correctly.

You are. Camber gain is also affected.

These teams know what happens statically and dynamically at all 4 corners of their cars when somebody puts a quarter turn into a jacking bolt. The engineer on the pit box, the 2 or 3 others in the garage and the half dozen hard at work in Mooresville on race day are there for a reason.

You are. Camber gain is also affected.

These teams know what happens statically and dynamically at all 4 corners of their cars when somebody puts a quarter turn into a jacking bolt. The engineer on the pit box, the 2 or 3 others in the garage and the half dozen hard at work in Mooresville on race day are there for a reason.
Whats an engineer? We had Virgil. He did all that fancy stuff

Last time I looked, there were 51 different front spindle combinations available. Spindle combination choice is obviously made before the cars hit the pull down rig. Everything that needs to be known is known before the cars are loaded up.

You don't seem to understand what makes winners.

And if all of this was as cut and dried as you want to make it sound, nobody would EVER have any problems either. All the cars and the parts are built on precise jigs too, but some cars end being a Blacker or a Bertha or a Whitney, and some up in the scrap dumpster behind the shop, or sold to some down on their luck ARCA team.....

I don’t “want it to sound” like anything other than what I said it is ... bits of data acquired, saved and used by professionals in the Cup garage.

You’re saying the race engineer and the car chief on the 9 would not know precisely what effect installing 1/8” camber shims in the RF would have. I’m saying they would know exactly how much static and dynamic camber had changed and they would know what effect, if any, the installed shims had on the camber change curve.

Respectfully, because I know you worked hard, this is not ARCA.

Back
Top Bottom