Indy 500 RACE thread

That was one helluva race! Couldn't be happier for Sato, probably the most criticised IndyCar driver - not anymore, I hope.

He just needs to keep it out of the wall, he's I think one of the fastest guys in IndyCar.

He's shown a bit of consistency this year, which is unlike him. He can win anywhere, its when he overdrives is his primary weakness. He does not believe in, "What the car gives him." its more like "I take everything and more."

He just needs to keep it out of the wall, he's I think one of the fastest guys in IndyCar.."

Please...he isn't very good...this was a bit of a "fluke" race.

Sato has been in the racing business as a driver for many years because he brings $$/Sponsorship with him. He is a half-point above Danica and he usually hits the wall midway through a race. His finishes on road-course races - with good equipment - are average at best. He just got lucky this year at Indy with a fuel deal and some of the best cars out of the race - and he DID have a fast car - and he didn't screw it up for a change - and he won.

Good for him :rolleyes:.

He just needs to keep it out of the wall, he's I think one of the fastest guys in IndyCar.

He's shown a bit of consistency this year, which is unlike him. He can win anywhere, its when he overdrives is his primary weakness. He does not believe in, "What the car gives him." its more like "I take everything and more."
He did a great job holding off Cassie and he deserved that win.

Please...he isn't very good...this was a bit of a "fluke" race.

Sato has been in the racing business as a driver for many years because he brings $$/Sponsorship with him. He is a half-point above Danica and he usually hits the wall midway through a race. His finishes on road-course races - with good equipment - are average at best. He just got lucky this year at Indy with a fuel deal and some of the best cars out of the race - and he DID have a fast car - and he didn't screw it up for a change - and he won.

Good for him :rolleyes:.

LMAO.

You've never seen Sato in the past, he's quick and I will admit, he ***** up. Its when he gets it right, but it does not happen enough. Good equipement? Honestly, this is the best car he has been in during IndyCar. He brings money and engines probably come at a discount, but he's a hell of a wheelman. I've seen him **** up a lot, in F1 and IndyCar, but damn when he puts it together, its fantastic.

LMAO.

You've never seen Sato in the past, he's quick and I will admit, he ***** up. Its when he gets it right, but it does not happen enough. Good equipement? Honestly, this is the best car he has been in during IndyCar. He brings money and engines probably come at a discount, but he's a hell of a wheelman. I've seen him **** up a lot, in F1 and IndyCar, but damn when he puts it together, its fantastic.

Well he put it together once on a semi-fuel race and won the Indy 500. Let's see if he can go top-5 for the season with good equipment.

From Verison Racing Statistics (2010-2017): Takume Sato (prior to winning the Indy 500) in Indycar.

Races: 123
Wins: 1
Podiums (top 3): 5 - ...this is a key stat...he only had 5 top 3's in 123 races in a much smaller field than Nascar.

Average start: 13.5
Average finish: 15.4
Running at finish: 78
On Lead Lap at Finish: 53

No segments, no bull**** ......... just a race that can stand on its own 2 feet and put asses in seats

I hate to think though, if the open part were to hit the edge of the barriers. I'm not versed in those cars, but seems to me they need to close the ****pits.
I think the most that will happen in the near future is some sort of partial shield or windscreen. I don't know how they would escape from something fully enclosed in case of fire or a roof landing. There's a car built like that, the KTM X-Bow GT4, that's just waiting for something bad enough to trap someone inside.

Reactions: Pat
I think the most that will happen in the near future is some sort of partial shield or windscreen. I don't know how they would escape from something fully enclosed in case of fire or a roof landing. There's a car built like that, the KTM X-Bow GT4, that's just waiting for something bad enough to trap someone inside.
I don't know why every time something bad has to happen to get people to accept change. They are playing with lives.

This:

“Thanks to IndyCar — amazing experience,” Alonso said. “Thanks to Indianapolis. Thanks to the fans. I felt at home. I’m not American, but I felt really proud to race here.”

along with this:

make me believe he's definitely coming back, whether it be Indy-only or for a full season. He wants to win this race and he wants to complete the Triple Crown. No doubt in my mind he comes back.

I don't know why every time something bad has to happen to get people to accept change. They are playing with lives.
It's more that there just hasn't been anything convincing in any direction to really commit to something. F1 has done tests for years with several different devices and have yet to commit to anything 100% because of unforeseen issues popping up or testing not going as planned. There's some good information here: http://www.racer.com/f1/item/130656-aeroscreen-struggled-in-fia-tests

Then last month F1 said they wanted to move in the direction of a shield again but are still unsure of how to integrate it into the car.
http://www.crash.net/f1/news/249838/1/a-lot-of-question-marks-over-shield-introduction-for-2018.html

And it's not a given that IndyCar and F1 need the same kind of device with IndyCar running ovals. That's why they haven't been as keen on exploring the halo concept as F1 had been.

Reactions: Pat
Well to be fair the attendance is horrible at all other races compared to Indy. Let's not totally rip on NASCAR here
Road courses and street circuits get very good attendance, for the most part. Sonoma and the Indy GP might be mediocre and I think that's it. More people need to show up at the ovals for sure though.

Sato definately has a very risky and agressive driving style and sometimes seems to be a bit over-motivated. (Remember his second-lap crash last year at Pocono while he was running in 3rd place.) I think he was close to crashing a few times yesterday and didn't only win because he was lucky and had a good car. He did an awesome job yesterday.

I tell you what guys. I had to leave to head for Potomac Speedway with about 50 to go. Listened on the radio, which (kind of like MRN) is waaayyyyy better than the TV guys. I was literally on the edge of my seat (yes, while driving) and cheering at the end. So happy for Sato.

Some interesting figures:

According to FormulaTV, live coverage of the Indianapolis 500 in Spain averaged 443k (3.6%) from 17:59 to 22:06 on #0 and Movistar Sports. #0 is Movistar+’s main subscription channel in Spain, hence why the Indianapolis 500 was featured on there.

As a result, the IndyCar action beat the Monaco Grand Prix, which averaged 212k (2.0%) on Movistar’s dedicated Formula 1 channel from 14:03 to 15:48. Last year’s action from Monaco averaged 302k (2.8%), so F1 lost just under a third of the viewers year-on-year. In Spain, Formula 1 used to air on the free-to-air station Antena 3, a deal which ended in 2015, with viewing figures in their millions.

There's also an extensive analysis of how the race performed in the UK. They mentioned it was the highest UK TV audience for an IndyCar race since records began in 2006 and it was probably the highest since the early 2000s with CART on Eurosport.

https://f1broadcasting.co/category/indycars/

Some interesting figures:

There's also an extensive analysis of how the race performed in the UK. They mentioned it was the highest UK TV audience for an IndyCar race since records began in 2006 and it was probably the highest since the early 2000s with CART on Eurosport.

https://f1broadcasting.co/category/indycars/

Run a 500 mile race and crown a winner !! who knew it could be a success ?

Damn, close call for that photographer.

Did he get the shot??
HE GOT THE SHOT!

DBMTVhnVYAEB1cZ.jpg:large

I thought the race overall was ok, nothing special, Honda and all their engine failures ruined it for me by taking out the best drivers.

I thought the race overall was ok, nothing special, Honda and all their engine failures ruined it for me by taking out the best drivers.

Hey, a little attrition shakes things up. Motors used to blow up all the time. Tires would blow up. Stuff would fall of the cars and they would burst into flames. It was fun!

Back
Top Bottom