Indy Verizon 200 Pre-Race thread

Bondo is -so- 2021. Tape is what's hip at the hop these days, Daddy-O.
For the really tough blunderbuss cheating jobs industrial strength Gold Bondo can't be beat. Guaranteed L2 penalty or your money back

1658874086065.png

Wow! NASCAR dropping the HAMMER.

Should trim a few tenths off the lap times, lol.

Isn't there a Roger Penske quote saying he wants to get Cup cars back on the oval here?
I think they got started on those discussions pretty quickly last year, there may even be a rotation in the cards.

Considering the increased difficulty in making road courses interesting this year I wouldn’t mind another stab at the oval. I’m not convinced it wouldn’t be better, and there’s still prestige associated with it.

Yeah, I definitely wish they’d bring back the IMS oval aka Brickyard 400, there’s some ticket holder interest there.

Maybe they like the synergy they got going on with IndyCar on Saturday and their unwillingness to move Xfinity to IRP, the road course race at IMS for Cup is ok but doesn’t stand out like Watkins Glen or the Roval. Cup on the oval & IndyCar on the road course the day before would be awesome.

I think they got started on those discussions pretty quickly last year, there may even be a rotation in the cards.

Considering the increased difficulty in making road courses interesting this year I wouldn’t mind another stab at the oval. I’m not convinced it wouldn’t be better, and there’s still prestige associated with it.

I like the idea of a rotation between the oval and the road course. That might keep return some of the prestige to the oval and bring it back to being a marquee event.

Great having another engine builder, seems like Toyota has these secondary providers from time to time to go with JGR/TRD. Wonder if Toyota wants to try something at all with a team that doesn’t finish 1st and 2nd usually.

Just saw Ty will be in for Kurt again this weekend

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

FS1 is currently showing the inaugural 1994 Brickyard 400. What a tremendous race this was.

The majority of the race, especially the last 30 laps, was absolutely epic. The battle between Gordon and Irvan was amazing. I think this race, plus a lot of them pre-2008, prove that the cars are capable of putting on a good show on the oval. I think NASCAR should give the Next Gen cars a chance here.

FS1 is currently showing the inaugural 1994 Brickyard 400. What a tremendous race this was.
Full horsepower and low drag... the opposite of what we have now.

But I agree... I've always said the Indy race should be on the oval.
*******​
Isn't there a Roger Penske quote saying he wants to get Cup cars back on the oval here?
My recollection of this (could be wrong) is a bit different. I recall rumors hitting the Nascar media last year that Penske wanted the race back on the oval... and then the rumors suddenly changed to say Nascar wanted the oval but Penske was opposed (that's when the silly compromise of alternating oval vs. road course was first floated). So I think the early rumors got corrected and it's actually Penske that wants the road course race. As the owner of IMS, Penske will probably get what he wants (unfortunately IMO).

Goodyear Fast Facts — IMS​

JULY 27, 2022 AT 8:27 AM

NASCAR Cup Series – Race No. 22 – 82 laps / 200 miles
Indianapolis Motor Speedway (2.439-mile road course) – Indianapolis, Ind.
Fast Facts for July 30-31, 2022

Tire:
Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Road Course Radials
Set limits:
Cup: 1 set for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 6 sets for the race
(5 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)
Tire Codes:
Left-Front/Right-Rear: D5112;
Right-Front/Left-Rear: D-5113
Tire Circumference:
2,276 mm (89.61 in.)
Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front — 22 psi; Right Front — 20 psi;
Left Rear — 17 psi; Right Rear — 17 psi

Storyline – Directional mounting means one tire, but two tire codes at Indy: For the road course race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway this weekend, NASCAR Cup teams will run the same tire set-up they ran at Road America over the recent Fourth of July weekend. And while, in reality, Cup teams will be running the same tire on all four corners of the car, there will be two Goodyear tire codes – one on left-front and right-rear tire positions and one on the right-front and left-rear. This allows Goodyear to build each distinct code and decorate the outboard sidewall while having the tread run directionally to handle the different stresses asked of it. Since it is the same tire all the way around the car – and therefore all tires will be the same size — the two different codes will help teams know on which corner to mount a tire – left-front/right-rear or left-front/right-rear.

“Running the same tire with two different codes allows us to mount tires directionally on all four corners of the car,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “Doing this – with one code on the left-front and right-rear and the other on the right-front and left-rear — helps protect the beveled splice of the tread component. This allows the tread splice to be ‘closed’ on both front tires under the force of braking and on both rear tires under the force of acceleration.”

Notes – Cup teams on Road America tire set-up at IMS: Having moved to an 18-inch bead diameter tire for 2022, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the NASCAR Xfinity Series at Indianapolis this week . . . unlike last year, when NASCAR Cup teams ran the same tire code on all four corners of the car on the Indy road course, they will run two different codes (see “Storyline” above) . . . these are the same two tire codes Cup teams ran at Road America earlier this month . . . these teams also ran the D-5112 right-side tire code on all four tire positions at COTA in March . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars will not run inner liners in any of their tires in 2022.

Wet Weather Tires – New size and new tread pattern for Cup in ‘22: Goodyear will bring its completely redesigned wet weather radial tire to the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the NASCAR Cup cars . . . Cup teams will be allowed 1 set of wets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and up to 6 sets for the race (5 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying) . . . in addition to moving from a 15-inch to an 18-inch bead diameter tire, this wet weather tire has a new tread pattern, based on Goodyear’s Eagle Supercar 3 consumer tire . . . this tire was tested at Goodyear’s facility in San Angelo, Texas in 2021 . . . NASCAR Cup teams last ran a wet weather tire in competition at COTA in May 2021 (15-inch version) . . . in addition to the obvious difference of a tread pattern versus Goodyear’s dry weather “slick” tires, the “Goodyear” and “Eagle” lettering on the sidewalls of the wet weather tires is white, not the standard yellow.

Goodyear Fast Facts — IMS​

JULY 27, 2022 AT 8:27 AM

NASCAR Cup Series – Race No. 22 – 82 laps / 200 miles
Indianapolis Motor Speedway (2.439-mile road course) – Indianapolis, Ind.
Fast Facts for July 30-31, 2022

Tire:
Goodyear Eagle 18-inch Road Course Radials
Set limits:
Cup: 1 set for practice, 1 set for qualifying and 6 sets for the race
(5 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying)
Tire Codes:
Left-Front/Right-Rear: D5112;
Right-Front/Left-Rear: D-5113
Tire Circumference:
2,276 mm (89.61 in.)
Minimum Recommended Inflation:
Left Front — 22 psi; Right Front — 20 psi;
Left Rear — 17 psi; Right Rear — 17 psi

Storyline – Directional mounting means one tire, but two tire codes at Indy: For the road course race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway this weekend, NASCAR Cup teams will run the same tire set-up they ran at Road America over the recent Fourth of July weekend. And while, in reality, Cup teams will be running the same tire on all four corners of the car, there will be two Goodyear tire codes – one on left-front and right-rear tire positions and one on the right-front and left-rear. This allows Goodyear to build each distinct code and decorate the outboard sidewall while having the tread run directionally to handle the different stresses asked of it. Since it is the same tire all the way around the car – and therefore all tires will be the same size — the two different codes will help teams know on which corner to mount a tire – left-front/right-rear or left-front/right-rear.

“Running the same tire with two different codes allows us to mount tires directionally on all four corners of the car,” said Greg Stucker, Goodyear’s director of racing. “Doing this – with one code on the left-front and right-rear and the other on the right-front and left-rear — helps protect the beveled splice of the tread component. This allows the tread splice to be ‘closed’ on both front tires under the force of braking and on both rear tires under the force of acceleration.”

Notes – Cup teams on Road America tire set-up at IMS: Having moved to an 18-inch bead diameter tire for 2022, NASCAR Cup teams will run a different tire set-up than those in the NASCAR Xfinity Series at Indianapolis this week . . . unlike last year, when NASCAR Cup teams ran the same tire code on all four corners of the car on the Indy road course, they will run two different codes (see “Storyline” above) . . . these are the same two tire codes Cup teams ran at Road America earlier this month . . . these teams also ran the D-5112 right-side tire code on all four tire positions at COTA in March . . . with this 18-inch tire, and its lower profile sidewall, NASCAR Cup cars will not run inner liners in any of their tires in 2022.

Wet Weather Tires – New size and new tread pattern for Cup in ‘22: Goodyear will bring its completely redesigned wet weather radial tire to the road course at Indianapolis Motor Speedway for the NASCAR Cup cars . . . Cup teams will be allowed 1 set of wets for practice, 1 set for qualifying and up to 6 sets for the race (5 race sets plus 1 set transferred from qualifying) . . . in addition to moving from a 15-inch to an 18-inch bead diameter tire, this wet weather tire has a new tread pattern, based on Goodyear’s Eagle Supercar 3 consumer tire . . . this tire was tested at Goodyear’s facility in San Angelo, Texas in 2021 . . . NASCAR Cup teams last ran a wet weather tire in competition at COTA in May 2021 (15-inch version) . . . in addition to the obvious difference of a tread pattern versus Goodyear’s dry weather “slick” tires, the “Goodyear” and “Eagle” lettering on the sidewalls of the wet weather tires is white, not the standard yellow.
Lost me with "NASCAR Cup Series" . . . . :cool:

And this photo sums up why I feel the Brickyard 400 should be this weekend instead of the road course.This photo hits hard.

Back
Top Bottom