Indycar 2014 Silly Season

wilson89

Team Owner
I know the season isn't over yet but we already have an update about what we can expect next season.

Source: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/106722-indycar-silly-season-update-no-1?showall=&start=1

Teams and drivers we can confirm for next season

Ganassi (4) - Dixon, Kanaan, Kimball, and Briscoe

Penske (3) - Castroneves, Power, and Montoya

Andretti (2) - Munoz and Andretti (Expect an announcement soon regarding Hunter Reay returning)

Schmidt (1) - Aleshin

KV (1) - Bourdais

RLL (1) - Rahal

Carpenter/Fisher/Hartman - (2) - Newgarden, and Carpenter on ovals (Still trying to get Conway to return for road and street courses.

Jonathan Byrd Racing - (1) - Bryan Clauson (Not sure if it's part time, full time, or Indy only)

Free agent drivers, or drivers who are still negotiating with there current teams -

Hunter Reay
Hinchclifee
Pagenaud
Justin Wilson
Jack Hawksworth
Carlos Huertas
Takuma Sato
Sebastian Saavedra
Mike Conway
JR Hildebrand
Oriol Servia
Sage Karam
Luca Filippi
James Davidson

I look for things to stay pretty much the same. There are always a few drivers who switch teams. But I can't see that much of a shakeup.

And as far as anything else changing, I can't see much difference either. (1) Kanaan will still get flat tires two laps from the end of the races and just miss a win. (2) Power will still lose races because he had to do drive thru penalties. (3) Marco will still be a fan favorite, but will come in only close to a win. (4) JR Hildebrand will still be driving up over people as long as someone let's him get behind the wheel. (5) Everyone else will be a "frigging" idiot from AJ's point of view. And Sato? Oh yes!! (6) Sato will still find any and every wall will be his "kissing cousin". That my story and I'm sticking to it!!

LOL

A few more updates as the long offseason has just begun

In an article about Simon Pagenaud discussing future options Marshall Pruett believes that Ganassi may release Ryan Briscoe from his contract. Briscoe's car is of course a fully funded car. Some believe he may do so for A). To sign Pagenaud, or B ). To sign young Sage Karam.
http://racer.com/indycar/item/108374-indycar-pagenaud-at-career-crossroads

In another article GP2 runner up Sam Bird who will be competing in Formula E this off season, has expressed a great deal of interest in joining the Indycar series. He would likely need to bring his own sponsorship aboard. I could see him somewhere like Dale Coyne.
http://racer.com/indycar/item/108458-indycar-bird-remains-focused-on-move-to-America

And Rahal's team is in serious question heading into the offseason after losing the National Guard sponsorship. There plans for adding a 2nd car are over, they are looking to make sure Graham has a solid car next season after a disaster of a 2014 season. Robin Miller said this week they had signed a couple minor sponsors to help but he was positive between the 3 owners the car will be on the grid next year. The team also announced they were parting with several in house team members including Bill Pappas who has helped Justin Wilson during his better years at Dale Coyne racing. Perhaps a re-union would be in Wilsons best interest next season? And I believe the Rahal team needed to mix it up, they were at the back most the season.
http://racer.com/indycar/item/108461-rahal-team-makes-major-changes

There also seems to be a lot of optimism for the 2015 Indy Lights season. The Indylights will have a new car next year and several teams from the Indycar series have expressed interest in running Indylights teams including AJ Foyt.

I will try and keep this thread updated with different Indycar happenings through the off season.

A few more updates as the long offseason has just begun

In an article about Simon Pagenaud discussing future options Marshall Pruett believes that Ganassi may release Ryan Briscoe from his contract. Briscoe's car is of course a fully funded car. Some believe he may do so for A). To sign Pagenaud, or B ). To sign young Sage Karam.

It would depend on the economics of getting out of Briscoe's contract, but if I were Chip, I'd dump Briscoe in a heartbeat (sorry, I do like Briscoe and his wife) for Pagenaud. For how many years have we been saying on this board that Pagenaud would be dangerous in one of the 'red cars'? That article says that guy is the next Will Power and everybody knows it. Put that guy in a top-notch ride and show him how to run ovals and you've created a new monster.

And Rahal's team is in serious question heading into the offseason after losing the National Guard sponsorship. There plans for adding a 2nd car are over, they are looking to make sure Graham has a solid car next season after a disaster of a 2014 season. Robin Miller said this week they had signed a couple minor sponsors to help but he was positive between the 3 owners the car will be on the grid next year. The team also announced they were parting with several in house team members including Bill Pappas who has helped Justin Wilson during his better years at Dale Coyne racing. Perhaps a re-union would be in Wilsons best interest next season? And I believe the Rahal team needed to mix it up, they were at the back most the season.

I'm biased as a longtime Rahal fan but a few things go differently in a few races and Graham could have had three wins this year. Of course, everybody says that, but I dunno. He had some high spots in a season that wouldn't look like it on paper. I don't know about his chance for next year if they can't find a sponsor. Bobby told Graham he needed his own sponsor like five years ago, I don't see Bob reaching into the family fortune now to keep the car afloat. I could see Letterman and Lanigan giving Graham the boot if a pay driver comes along.

http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/item/108672-indycar-our-best-guess-pagenaud-to-penske

Hot rumors: Racer says they know for a fact that Schmidt Peterson is going after Hinchcliffe and Pagenaud is done there and going to either Penske or Ganassi. They seem to think it's Penske.

But, Roger said they aren't running four cars next year and the rumor about Castroneves being dropped in favor of Pagenaud was just a rumor. So...? JPM is coming back next year and Roger isn't going to sack the defending series champ. So, maybe a fourth car is back on the table?

I like Penske, I think Pagenaud there would be a good fit. But, maybe Pagenaud taking Briscoe's ride would be the best outcome. I know Briscoe and Chip said I never believe anything Ganassi says.

Found a tidbid from Robin Miller's old 9/10 mailbag column that Ganassi may have hinted that Josef Newgarden sign a one-year deal with CHF Racing through 2015 only so he would be a free agent again for 2016. Hint hint.

*******, Roger. This may be one the greatest driver lineups I've ever seen. I'm so amped for 2015.

MOORESVILLE, NC (September 29, 2014) – Team Penske announced today that race-winning driver and perennial championship contender Simon Pagenaud will join its ranks beginning with the 2015 Verizon IndyCar Series season.

The 30-year-old Pagenaud is a four-time race winner in the Verizon IndyCar Series and one of the most sought-after talents in open-wheel racing. Under the terms of a multi-year agreement with Team Penske, Pagenaud will drive the Team Penske Dallara/Chevrolet beginning next season. With today’s announcement, the most successful program in the history of North American open-wheel racing will field a formidable four-car lineup moving forward.

http://www.teampenske.com/news/index.cfm?series=n&cid=52437

Penske is loaded next year. Honda better step up or Andretti Autosport could be a mid-pack team.

Penske's team is stacked. Here is Marshall Pruett's silly season update http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/item/109155-pruett-indycar-dominoes-ready-to-fall

He mentioned the following

Schmidt is trying to sign Hinch to replace Pagenaud. KV is also in the mix to sign Hinch but the Sam Schmidt ride is fully sponsored. Also Aleshin's sponsorship is still in limbo.

KV Racing doesn't want Saavedra back but will take his money if they need to. They may also expand to a 3 car team

Andretti still may re-sign Hinch, but are also interested in Justin Wilson, as well as Daniel Abt who will be testing with Andretti.

Justin Wilson has a contract option with Dale Coyne Racing, which has yet to be picked up. Schmidt and KV may also be interested in Justin Wilson besides Andretti.

Ganassi is debating between bringing Ryan Briscoe back or putting young Sage Karam in his seat for 2015.

Conway is expected back on road courses for CFHR. JR Hildebrand is in talks with CFHR to run a 3rd car next season.

Carlos Huertas is still an unknown at this point for Dale Coyne. The team has tested with GP2 driver Rodolfo Gonzalez

AJ Foyt Racing will likely re-sign Sato. And they are very close to announcing a 2nd car with Jack Hawksworth as the driver

Herta's team is searching for money, likely why Hawksworth is now talking with Foyt.

The Rahal team is also searching for money to run Graham next year

Stefan Wilson signed a contract to drive with Fan Force United next year full time back in June, nothing has been announced since so there still waiting on finding out if this driver/combo is happening.

Gabby Chaves, Matthew Brabham, and Peter Dempsey are all looking for part time or Indy 500 deals.

Conor Daly, Martin Plowman, Luca Filippi, and Katherine Legg are all trying to get deals for next season as well.

Wow!! The Penske team is going to be tough to beat with Pagenaud driving for them. I bet Chip Ganassi is wishing he had Dario back. Who wouldn't miss him? I still think that Ryan Briscoe is very underrated. I thought he was going to be better than he was this past year. I think Hinchcliffe had better stay where he is, too. He would be better off with Andretti than Schmidt. But who knows?

I don't believe that Katherine Legge is going to pan out. Simona would be a good return if someone would pick her back up.

It will be interesting. That's for sure.

I tell you what, when you lay down the possibilities, some races will be back around or over 26 cars. That's great if it happens.

Indycar silly season update 10-10-14

Confirmed Team Chart

Penske (4)
# 2 Juan Montoya
# 3 Helio Castroneves
#12 or #1 (Teams choice) Will Power
#22 Simon Pagenaud

Ganassi (3)
# 9 Scott Dixon
# 10 Tony Kanaan
# 83 Charlie Kimball

Andretti (3)
#25 Marco Andretti
#28 Ryan Hunter-Reay
#34 Carlos Munez

CFHR (2)
#20 – Ed Carpenter (ovals only)
#67 - Josef Newgarden

KV (1)
#11 Sebastien Bourdais

RLL (1)
#15 Graham Rahal

SPM (1)
#77 James Hinchcliffe

Part time Rides

Jonathan Byrd Racing (1) Indy only?
#TBA Bryan Clauson

Lazier Partners Racing (1) Indy only
#91 Buddy Lazier

Unconfirmed rides with speculation -

Ganassi 4 th car – Ryan Briscoe was originally said to have signed a two year deal, but there are conflicting reports saying nothing is set in stone. And to further complicate the story there have been many rumors floating around that Ganassi will let him go. Ganassi has signed one of America's best young drivers Sage Karam who is hoping to drive in Indycar.

Andretti 4 th car – The team may be interested in Justin Wilson but Daniel Abt will get an off season test with the team, and Michael Andretti is said to have him high on his list of drivers to chose from.

Andretti 5 th car – Andretti said he would be open to running 5 cars next year. No word on if the 5 th car would be a full season or part time car like he had with Kurt Busch at Indy.

SPM 2 nd car – Mikhail Aleshin is all but confirmed for this car. Problem is he Russian business partners who help sponsor him. This may be an on going issue through out the off season but hopefully it gets resolved. Rocky Moran Jr. Will test during the off season, not sure if he is a possible replacement for Aleshin if his money troubles continue or if he is just filling in while Aleshin is injured.

KV/AFS – The team ran last year with Saavedra and seems to be interested in having him return next season.

KV 2 nd car – Not to be confused with the AFS alliance car, Jimmy Vasser has said he wants to add an extra car next season. Nelson Piquet Jr. has talked to the team following the news of a Brazil race return. Word is the team has enough money to hire a non pay driver, as they had talked to both Pagenaud and Hinchcliffe but could not lure either driver to the team. I am sure having Bourdais as a team mate, would be incentive to a lot of drivers.

CFHR 3 rd car – Ed has said he wants to help JR Hildebrand secure a full time ride next season. If the team can't secure a full time ride it's safe to say he will race at Indy for them next year.

AJ Foyt 1 st car – ABC supply will be fully funding this car. Foyt has said he likes Sato but after Sato's disappointing season he may be looking for a replacement.

AJ Foyt 2 nd car – Once again AJ would love to run an extra car but this year may finally be the year as Jack Hawksworth is reportedly close to joining the team. Word is Honda may be helping to keep Hawksworth driving a Honda Indycar, after Honda lost Pagenaud, they are short on big name drivers, but Hawksworth is one of the best up and coming drivers in the series.

Herta 1 st car - Originally wanted to bring Hawksworth back, the team is said to have some troubles getting money for next season, which may indicate why Hawksworth is now being rumored to joining Foyt. This team is in danger of becoming a part time team instead of a full time team.

Dale Coyne 1 st car – Justin Wilson will be looking for another ride, of course he will likely be welcomed back if he can't find one. Team doesn't make an announcement till right before the season starts but always runs two cars

Dale Coyne 2 nd car – Carlos Heurtas was reportedly scared to drive at Fontana so we don't know if that bodes well for his future in the series.

RLL 2 nd car – Team still has hopes of running a 2 nd car for Indy. The team is scrambling to get money though just for Graham to run the whole season.

DRR – Would love to return full time but once again they are having issues with sponsorship. May run Sage Karam if Ganassi farms him out to them like he did at Indy last season.

Fan Force United – Announced in June they would run full time in Indy Car in 2015 with Stefan Wilson who would drive the #5. The team has been completely silent since that announcement and no word on any sponsorship.

Drivers still hopeful of a ride with speculative destinations -

Ryan Briscoe (Ganassi)
Sage Karam (Ganassi, DRR)
Justin Wilson (Coyne, Andretti, Foyt)
Mikhail Aleshin (SPM)
Daniel Abt (Andretti)
Sebastien Saavedra (KV/AFS)
JR Hildebrand (CFHR)
Jack Hawksworth (Foyt)
Takuma Sato (Foyt)
Connor Daly (Talking to several teams)
Martin Plowman (Talking to several teams)
Carlos Heurtas (Coyne)
Stefan Wilson (FFU)
Nelson Piquet Jr (KV)
Rocky Moran Jr. (SPM)
James Jakes (Looking to return)
Vitor Meira (Says he want's one last shot at Brazil and Indy)
Sam Bird (Expressed interest in joining Indycar)

Last edited:
I don't think any fans do, at least.

I didn't know much who he was until he got on Twitter and stared attacking Pippa Mann for a wreck I didn't think was her fault at Indy (in 2013). Racer is doing a post-mortem on every IndyCar driver daily, starting from worst to best. They eviscerated Saavedra.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/109200-indycar-2014-review-p21-sebastian-saavedra

He makes enemies where ever he goes. But he has AFS writing him sponsor bucks so he'll probably get a ride somewhere next year. Knowing my luck it'll probably be Rahal-Letterman.

Out of all the drivers looking for a ride, I can't believe someone won't pick up Ryan Briscoe. I couldn't believe it when no one picked him up in 2013. He might not be the Dixon-Power-Castroneves quality, but he is close. And he should be the top driver for a lot of teams. I think he pretty much proved that in 2012. I can't understand why someone hasn't snatched him up ASAP. Maybe I am missing something?

I also don't understand why Foyt can't get a driver and teach him to win. I would think with all of the "Foyt experience" he would have a winner every year. I can't figure that one out either. Seeing him near the bottom every year is kind of strange.

Someone should pick up Justin Wilson, too. I think he could be really good if he fell with the right team.

No offense, but I always looked at Sato and Hildebrand as a couple of train wrecks waiting to happen. :D Good drivers? Yes, but I always have that feeling about them that they could go out anytime. They provide that certain "Crash Corrigan" element to a race. :D

I hope Jack Hawksworth has a good year. I think he is a real good ray of light to success. I thought Herta was a good match for him. I guess he will be moving up to bigger and brighter things.

Last edited:
Hinchcliffe? I wonder if he went to Sam Schmidt's team on his own or if Andretti was going to drop him for Munoz, anyway. Maybe Hinch just wanted to be top dog on a team. I guess we'll have to see what happens there.

Last edited:
Maybe Dale Coyne can grab Briscoe. I'd like to see him stay in the series. Ganassi as a whole struggled in the early part of the season but Ryan ran better from about Pocono onwards; the TCGR team is always going to be better than the CGR team too.

This may have already have been posted , but Simona de Silvestro's deal with Sauber has broken down, and she is back in the market for an Indy car deal

http://en.espnf1.com/sauber/motorsport/story/177167.html

Simona de Silvestro's hopes of becoming the first female F1 racer since 1976 have suffered a setback after Sauber ended her testing deal due to "financial reasons on her side".

F1's femalesLella Lombardi was the last woman to start a grand prix, with the last of her career coming in 1976 in Austria. Since then Divina Galica, Desire Wilson, Giovanna Amati and, most recently, Susie Wolff have all taken part in a grand prix weekend but not qualified for a race.

It was hoped De Silvestro, who spent four years racing in Indycar, would take part in Friday practice at next month's US Grand Prix, but a financial dispute with Sauber means she will no longer drive for the team. De Silvestro will retain her status as an affiliated driver, however, with the team still hopeful of giving her opportunities to drive at some point in the future.

De Silvestro completed tests earlier this year in old Sauber cars in Fiorano and Valencia after joining in February and has made it clear she has hereyes set on a 2015 race seat. But the 90-day window in which her superlicence could be secured has now expired, leaving her F1 future hanging in the balance.

A team spokesman said: "Simona's driving programme is not being continued due to financial reasons on her side. Everybody in the team who worked with her during the last six months is very disappointed it came to this point, because they liked working with her. We are now looking at other possibilities for Simona to continue working with the team, but that will take time."

A spokesman also told ESPNF1 De Silvestro's role will be "discussed in the near future" as it remains unclear.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RACERmag/status/535511789442965504

Unfortunately, it looks unlikely that Mikhail Aleshin will return to IndyCar in 2015 due to sanctions placed on SMP Bank by the U.S. The good news is that he's recovered well from his injuries, according to Sam Schmidt.

Schmidt Peterson Motorsports will now test 2012 GP2 champion Davide Valsecchi at Sebring on December 16th. The team's second driver must have at least parial funding.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport...n-not-expected-to-return-to-indycar/70087084/

British-based team Carlin will expand into Indy Lights in 2015 with a plan to eventually start an IndyCar program. The Lights program will be a two-car program. The team currently competes in GP2, GP3, British Formula 3, and Formula Renault 3.5 and won the GP3 teams' championship in Abu Dhabi last month. The team has worked with drivers such as Sebastian Vettel, Daniel Ricciardo and Nico Rosberg, as well as IndyCar Series drivers Will Power, Charlie Kimball, Josef Newgarden, Takuma Sato, Mikhail Aleshin, Graham Rahal and Carlos Huertas in the junior stages of their careers.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/116996

http://www.carlin.co.uk/news/indy-lights/carlin-expand-indy-lights-2015/

^ This is big and needed for the Indy Lights series that was on life support almost. Hopefully, with Carlin's presence maybe we will see others come to the US to help these young drivers continue to develop. Also, the possiblity of bringing in other heavy hitters from GP2, GP3, now defunct British F3, and WSR 3.5.

^ This is big and needed for the Indy Lights series that was on life support almost. Hopefully, with Carlin's presence maybe we will see others come to the US to help these young drivers continue to develop. Also, the possiblity of bringing in other heavy hitters from GP2, GP3, now defunct British F3, and WSR 3.5.

With the new lights car people are saying the car count should be up significantly. Andretti and Schmidt will field a team in the series and there has been word that Foyt and Herta may try to expand into Indy Lights. It would be huge to have regular Indycar teams helping these kids up through the ranks to the big cars.

Not Indy car...but a SuperMod that I helped my friend build. same car as my avatar.
10389076_710332829022961_3043614674012320475_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom