IndyCar - 2021 Grand Prix of Portland

I didn't want Palou to win anything when the year began, but every time I see him sneak he more and more wins me over. If it wasn't for some horrible luck he would have probably tucked the championship away by now. Imagine how far in front Palou would be without the motor blowing up at the Indy RC, and getting taken out at Gateway. I hope he wins the championship because he's been the best driver at most races, and it would not hurt us to have a young, well spoken, good lookin' champion.

I was flipping back and forth with the sportscar race, and I missed what happened to Oward. it looked like he was running away with it and then POOF, he was nowhere. This happened to a lot of guys, like Rahal.

If a yellow falls at the wrong time, you're just blessed, or screwed. In this respect, every Indycar race has extreme potential to be a lottery. Yellows usually send the gamblers on alternate strategy. Some people benefit, some get screwed. I don't think anything can be done to fix it, but those races are so convoluted and mixed up I don't think even the commentators know what's going on. So, let's not rag on the commentators too much.

Gonna have to go back and watch the full race but I’m sure it was much better than watching the Giants piss themselves at home. Smdh.

Something similarly calamitous to Indy and Gateway will have to happen to Palou, imo. He’s so consistent and composed for only being a 24 year-old sophomore. He’s Dixon 2.0 in that sense.

I really can’t wait until they can’t get these things started from the ****pit. Lack of onboard starters makes up like two-thirds of the yellows in this series.

Was at the race and it was as good as the years before. I believe this is the first weekend that Jimmie Johnson has gone without a spin? Not even in practice. Saw him pass Bourdais in the chicane but Bourdais got him back a few laps later,

Saw Courtney Force in the pits after the race and really wanted to get her autograph but she was holding her baby and I don't like to ask people for their autographs in certain moments and this was one so missed out, Lots of people hanging out in Jimmie Johnsons area but he was nowhere to be found. Same with Grosjean.

I think turn 1 should be changed, they seem to have F1 turn 1 style problems there. I'm a Dixon fan (actually I like several drivers) but I'm warming up to Palou and Oward. I enjoyed the race after the turn 1 fiasco (Dixon's blocking or pass attempt started it).

I think turn 1 should be changed, they seem to have F1 turn 1 style problems there.
I agree, but I'm not sure where there's room to do something else. It doesn't look like there's space to make a useful adjustment to the current right-hander; I suspect the water would be a significant obstacle. Maybe they could do a left-hand turn, something more similar to Daytona or Watkins Glen's bus stops?

SMH at Dixon's convoluted interview after the race. He was the primary cause of the turn 1 chaos. Dixon was trying to pass Palou, and instead he screwed the pooch. I'm pretty sure Palou could have made the corner except he couldn't turn in without shunting Dixon, who was going dead straight with no possibility of turning into the corner.

So in the interview, Dixon denies all that, says he was just flying wingman to protect his teammate, and says someone else caused the pile-up. Geez, with all of his accomplishments, all his race wins and championships, he should be able to admit a mistake or at least dodge the question without fabricating fairy tales. I've seen him take the same approach a couple times before. It irritates me more than it should, I guess.

The booth gerbles grow more awful each week. Kelli Stavast is very good, but Leigh Diffey and Paul Tracy... so irritating.

In my view, both IndyCar and F1 have similar situations... abjectly bad racing at most venues, but the silver lining of an intriguing championship points race. Pulling for Palou this year, but O'Ward would also be credible. And I'm genuinely disappointed that Rossi hasn't shown up all year until yesterday. I don't know what his problem is. I don't believe that he's lost motivation now that he's signed a contract for decent money. I just don't buy that. It puzzles me.

Back
Top Bottom