IndyCar: ABC Supply 500

The strategy is the only thing keeping me awake.

Snoozy race. Rossi and Power 30 seconds ahead and lapping cars in the top 5. Can’t pass anyone as usual with the oval package.

If nothing else the strategy has been interesting today.

The superspeedway aero is so draggy though. Pretty tough to balance harder to drive versus easier to pass at these speeds.

I hope they don't succumb to dumbing it down on ovals again.

I hope like hell that Robert is okay. After Justin Wilson in 2015 and this crash today, (and Bobby and Davey Allison in the 80s and 90s in NASCAR) I have a very, very hard time with races at Pocono.

Pocono has a history of really nasty wrecks but its safety record is VERY GOOD. Wilson is the only driver killed in a major event and that was a fluke accident. Indycar knew what they were getting themselves into when they returned to Pocono. It's badass but it's still historically safer than basically every oval they compete on.

It's amazing for that news to come as a relief, but it does, given the extreme severity of the wreck and the earlier vagueness of "orthopedic injuries". Hopefully these are fully recoverable issues.

Reactions: Pat
I so hope his recovery goes smoothly, hell of a wheelman and a good dude.

The Schmidt-Peterson statement is too vague for comfort... "injuries to his spine" can range from speedy full recovery to permanent paralysis as a worst case. So I hope the Paul Tracy tweet saying "he is OK" is indeed accurate. I really doubt Paul would tweet that unless he believed it was accurate based on insider reports he has gotten.

For the guys trying to make a big deal about the deliberate pace of extracting Wickens from the car, there you have it... spinal injury. I know it is hard to imagine the medical people on the ground in turn 2 might know what to do better than guys watching TV, but there you have it...:idunno:

Well, I still enjoyed myself, probably helps that Rossi is my favorite IndyCar driver

I’m glad you did. Felt bad when I read earlier in the thread that you’d decided to go and it was gonna be your first.

I’m glad you did. Felt bad when I read earlier in the thread that you’d decided to go and it was gonna be your first.
Yeah, I had a guy comment on something I said on twitter said his wife's first and only IndyCar race was when Justin Wilson was killed. I'm really glad obviously for Wickens but also that I didn't see someone die. It was by far the worst feeling I've ever had at a race track. But like I said when they said he was awake and alert it was like a wave of relief swept through the whole track.

The latest update:
DlIF9cGWwAASs6r.jpg

Sending good thoughts for a swift recovery.

I'm thankful he is alive and stable. Those terms like spinal cord injury of indeterminate severity are not promising. But he's alive.

I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but with those injuries it's obvious Robert is done for at least the rest of the season. Has anyone heard if the team will continue to field the car, and who might be in it if they do?

I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but with those injuries it's obvious Robert is done for at least the rest of the season. Has anyone heard if the team will continue to field the car, and who might be in it if they do?

SPM isn’t entering the 6 at Gateway this weekend.

Spinal Cord Injury scares tf out of me. Can’t wait until they have a better grasp on the situation after all his swelling starts to go down.

I'm thankful he is alive and stable. Those terms like spinal cord injury of indeterminate severity are not promising. But he's alive.
Yes, exactly this. And I'm mighty pissed off at Paul Tracy for tweeting "he is OK" when Paul obviously had no clue as to the extent of the injuries.

New here. Did anyone watch the replays closely? It appears that a tire got behind the catch fence. Hope Wickens pulls through fine.

@Oculus , welcome! Great quotation, by the way. ;)

Yeah, I'm sure some part caught in the fence. In the link in post #133 above yours, Sam Schmidt refers to catch fences as 'cheese graters'.

At 0:30 it looks like the catch fence failed to stop the tire from going behind the fence.

Other angles on that video don't show a tire down the track if it were inside the track. I'm thinking if this is proven then changes to the catch fence are inevitable.

Sorry I didn't realize it would embed the video if anyone is upset by my posting that. I couldn't find a way to remove the post.

Back
Top Bottom