IndyCar: GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma

I enjoyed the season, but most of all, glad Dixie survived the Indy crash looking back.
Look forward to next year.

Thrilled to see Newgarden grow into the championship driver he is. He's been my favorite behind RHR and Montoya and I'm glad between he Rossi, and Rahal that we have some talented young Americans to pull for

I'm happy for Newgarden. I've rooted for him since he started. I knew going to Penske would make a difference for him.

Next year, I'll be rooting for Graham Rahal and Marco. Wouldn't it be something if these three young Americans had a championship?

:)

Finally finished this one. Super stoked Newgarden took the 'ship. This kid is amongst a few directly involved in resurgence in this series. Super likeable, super talented. The future is bright for Indycar with or without Verizon title sponsorship.

There's an American on top again.

Hope Helio comes back

As a Helio fan, I don't. I don't think he is as fast as the guys he has to beat, at least not on a championship basis. On his day, sure, but as we saw yesterday, when it was on the line he just didn't have it. There's no shame in that. Helio is getting up there. I'de rather see him go out while he's still a contender than make up numbers at the tail of the field like AJ or Rutherford did. Today's fans don't remember back to when they were kicking everyone's ass. All they remember is them embarrassing themselves, and I don't want Helio to go out like that.

Where Helio can still make a difference is at Indianapolis, and I'de rather see him get a fourth there than have another season than staying in championship contention on the strength of a single win. I also think another close call would be simply soul crushing. I'de like to see Helio win his fourth 500, and then step out of the car on his own terms as a four time Indianapolis 500 champion.Remember, Al Unser sr won his last 500 well after he could find a decent full time Indycar drive, so it can be done.

That and Helio has the chance to win an IMSA sports car championship, and maybe even turn that into an opportunity to win Lemans. He will never get the Monaco/Indy/Lemans triple crown, but he can still get two thirds of it. That's still pretty exclusive company.

As far as Newgarden, I hope this is the first of many. I'm just fine with an American winning this series, and I sure hope there's much more to come, and not just from Newgarden. We've still got Pigot and Daly to fulfill their potential, and I hope they get there.

I also think the other Penske drivers just might be keeping a seat warm for Spencer Pigot's arrival. He seems to fit the Penske mold as perfectly as anyone we have seen and his talent has never been in question. Maybe a couple of years leading Carpenter's team will give him what he needs to step into being championship material.

Back
Top Bottom