IndyCar plans for aeroscreens in 2017

FLRacingFan

Team Owner
Probably the best way to go about things at this point. You could see from Dixon's onboard today how dangerous it was speeding through all of that debris.

http://www.motorsport.com/indycar/news/indycar-plans-for-aeroscreens-in-2017-777341/

Pappas, who was a close friend of Justin Wilson, who died after being struck on the helmet by debris at Pocono Raceway last year, has been an advocate of increased head protection for open-wheel racing.

He says it is likely to take the form of an aeroscreen – as tested recently on the Red Bull Racing RB12 Formula 1 car – rather than the Mercedes- and Ferrari-style halo devices.

“At this point we’re leaning toward a screen,” he said.

Asked if it could be introduced as soon as 2017, Pappas said: “Yes, that’s the idea.”

XPB_8de7e90b7dd5b6ff924aff8a71600b8b-4

I like them. Kinda neat looking...short step to enlosed

Way better than the halo. The halo obstructs the driver vision with a post in the center. I'm guessing the halo is stronger but the halo could deflect something into the ****pit.

I like this. Looks sharp, plus the ****pit is still open. I think it's the perfect balance between improving safety and sticking with the history of these cars.

Are they planning to use the aeroscreen the whole season or just at the oval races?
However, it's definitely better than the halo, which looks more like a toilet seat than a real protection system

Are they planning to use the aeroscreen the whole season or just at the oval races?
However, it's definitely better than the halo, which looks more like a toilet seat than a real protection system
I'd be shocked if they don't use them all for of the races. Two years ago, Hinch was hit in the head by debris at the Indy road course and suffered a concussion. If I remember correctly, he was even taken off on a stretcher and went to the hospital. Ended up missing a little bit of practice time for the 500 because of the incident. If they have a safety feature available, they need to use it every race.

What would be the reason to not use it everywhere? There's enough differences between oval and road / street set-ups now without tossing in another factor to consider.

The german racing newspaper ''MOTORSPORT aktuell'' wrote last week that IndyCar isn't planning for aeroscreens in 2017, but for completely closed ****pits in 2018.
I don't like completely closed ****pits in Open Wheel Racing, but it's still better than putting toilet seats up on these cars.

The german racing newspaper ''MOTORSPORT aktuell'' wrote last week that IndyCar isn't planning for aeroscreens in 2017, but for completely closed ****pits in 2018.
I don't like completely closed ****pits in Open Wheel Racing, but it's still better than putting toilet seats up on these cars.
Closed ****pits wouldn't be the end of the world. It would still be an open-wheel car and I doubt the racing action would suffer from a closed ****pit. The only people who would complain about it would be the purists, but after a few weeks or years they wouldn't even notice the changes so long as the racing was decent.

With that said...I don't think closed ****pits should be the primary focus for this or any other racing series. What really needs to happen is for the catch fences to be replaced with something that doesn't act as a cheese grater on an automobile. Whether it be NASCAR or Indycar, I think the next fatality will occur as a result of the current catch fences. These racing series need to be proactive with this issue instead of waiting for the worst case scenario to occur before making the changes.

How do you protect yourself from an unknown? There are multiple factors that go into any crash. Without knowing what factors are going to come together, how do you know which one needs to be improved. Each track presents it's own unique circumstances. Maybe a small stout wind screen, and extend the engine air intake over the driver's head, but not far enough forward for them to see it. Build it as an extension of the monocoque, so it acts as a shield and roll bar, but doesn't impede the drivers ability to get out of the car. Like the crash in the pits at pocono, The tire would never hit Helio's helmet, if the air intake were farther forward. I don't think a canopy is the way to go because, If the car gets turned over and the canopy cant fully open, the driver is trapped in the car. Whatever they decide to go with, there will still be a weakness. But we won't know what that weakness is, until it happens.

I wonder how a closed ****pit will work. They would need to add air conditioning of some kind. Sports cars have bigger green houses and they can become pretty hot for the driver.

Back
Top Bottom