IndyCar Race at IMS Infield Road Course?

personally........don't care how many tickets they sell......long as it's on tv. ha!
figure indycar-n-hulman folks ...plus nbc....usin this ta gin up enthusiasm fer 500. ?

works at daytona 500 !

an bring baltimore back !

IndyCar doesn't have the sweet TV contracts that NASCAR has! They still need people to show up in the grandstands.

personally........don't care how many tickets they sell......long as it's on tv. ha!
figure indycar-n-hulman folks ...plus nbc....usin this ta gin up enthusiasm fer 500. ?

works at daytona 500 !

The Indianapolis 500 is on a television network that doesn't care about IndyCar. Most of the races are on NBCSN then you have ABC which uses the Indianapolis 500 to promote stick and ball sports on ESPN. IndyCar should've done away with ABC but that might piss off the purists so we can't have that.

Baltimore has really emerged as an epic IndyCar battleground. Hopefully they bring it back in 2016.

Official announcement can be seen on indycar.com at 4:30 PM Eastern tomorrow. It's sounding like race weekend will be May 10-11.

The Indianapolis 500 is on a television network that doesn't care about IndyCar. Most of the races are on NBCSN then you have ABC which uses the Indianapolis 500 to promote stick and ball sports on ESPN. IndyCar should've done away with ABC but that might piss off the purists so we can't have that.

Baltimore has really emerged as an epic IndyCar battleground. Hopefully they bring it back in 2016.

nbc will do prolly 20 hrs or so pre-indy 500 coverage...........much like fs1/ fs2 will do in daytona come febr.

GPindymap.jpg

works at daytona 500 !

It was picked up by ABC.

I wish they would have used the entirety of oval turn 1. I guess that wasn't feasible with the road course car or something.

I wish they would have used the entirety of oval turn 1. I guess that wasn't feasible with the road course car or something.
If they're going to allow teams to use the Bridgestone "soft red" tires, then it's probably a safety issue because those tires probably aren't rated for the superspeedway turn, al la the 2005 US Grand Prix.

I wish they would use the superspeedway turn but it probably would be an embarrassment because they're going to be going probably 30 mph slower without the oval aero kit on the car.

Notice that the road course is very slightly different than the F1 configuration. Boles said it was because "F1 doesn't encourage passing" and they wanted this race to be more competitive. I'll bet anybody a week's pay that it's because they don't want to the unfavorable comparisons to the F1 track records.

I don't know why Roger Penske and (my favorite race car driver of all time) Bobby Rahal were there grinning and gladhanding at the event. This reminds me of CART's self-destruction by the owners 2000-2003 where all these big owners ran around saying all these dumb decisions were smart decisions.

Get rid if turn 13.

I mean this whole idea.

If the Indianapolis 500 is the only race that survives their mismanagement of the series, that will be fine by me.

abc....or espn? same thing nbc woulda done....pump up 500.

sounds good ta me !

Looks pretty well engineered to me, turn 1,2, and 3 where most of the grandstand seating is will be an action zone after the long straight. It was when the Rolex was there last. Looks like 12 into13 might be a good area to out brake into 12 and out drive around 13 to get the inside of 14 to set up the straight.

If they're going to allow teams to use the Bridgestone "soft red" tires, then it's probably a safety issue because those tires probably aren't rated for the superspeedway turn, al la the 2005 US Grand Prix.

I wish they would use the superspeedway turn but it probably would be an embarrassment because they're going to be going probably 30 mph slower without the oval aero kit on the car.

Notice that the road course is very slightly different than the F1 configuration. Boles said it was because "F1 doesn't encourage passing" and they wanted this race to be more competitive. I'll bet anybody a week's pay that it's because they don't want to the unfavorable comparisons to the F1 track records.

Fully agree. Also to add, I think the F1 configuration presented tradeoffs of grip and speed, this track configuration appears to simplify the setup considerations, which I find less interesting. This track configuration is certainly a less complicated track to drive. They should have kept the F1 turns 5,6, and 7 on to the backstretch. They took away a good area for passing there.

Sure wish I could just camp on the golf course the whole month of May....

I'll bet anybody a week's pay that it's because they don't want to the unfavorable comparisons to the F1 track records.
I guess they wanted to spend a lot of money reconfiguing the track to avoid a comparison that no one cares about. I didn't catch the Grandam race at the track, was that on the new or old configuration and how competitive was it?

I guess they wanted to spend a lot of money reconfiguing the track to avoid a comparison that no one cares about. I didn't catch the Grandam race at the track, was that on the new or old configuration and how competitive was it?
You might not care, but do you think IndyCar wants anything other than IndyCar to hold a track record at Indianapolis?

Why didn't Bill France Jr. let USAC race on Daytona in the 1960s (Obviously before winged high-downforce cars made it impossible)? He wanted a Cup car to hold the track record at Daytona.

You might not care, but do you think IndyCar wants anything other than IndyCar to hold a track record at Indianapolis?
I don't think fans would care much. I realize IndyCar has special interests.

I think they mentioned they're hoping for 40,000-50,000 spectators for the race. That's probably doable.

If the attendance and ratings for this race are crap, how long before they change the second race at Indianapolis to an oval race (a la Pepsi 400 at Daytona)?

Running a race on the road course isn't itself a terrible idea, but it would be so much better in the fall or late summer, when it's too damn hot in Houston.

They also need another oval race before they go to Indy in May, like Nazareth used to be. Obvously a track down south or west so weather is more predictable.

Back
Top Bottom